• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo wining when I shut down the sled

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
Anyone got an idea what might be going on I got an 2018 axys with a Silber it runs perfectly fine and I pulled the intake tube to see if there was play but no play at all or debris. I’m stumped any ideas?

X
Oct 8, 2009
Pull the turbo off, put it on the bench, and remove the housings. Look for any rubbing/clearance issues on the wheel or housings. If none, spin the wheel to see if it is internal to the chra...you need to determine whether you received a bad turbo or not. If so, call silber and ask their opinion and whether it needs replaced. If it is new or you have maintained it well for a low number of miles, silber has skin in the game from a company standpoint. If there is an issue, be reasonable about your expectations of replacement/partial participation. The company can make it difficult for you if your requests are not fair.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Can you post a video? Its totally normal for the turbo to still spin when you shut the sled off...

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
If it runs good with no hesitation etc I doubt there is anything wrong. Turbos will continue to spin a bit when shut off, especially ball bearing turbos. When it’s not spinning be concerned.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I get a bit of turbo wind down now that the turbo is broke in a bit. my buds sidewinder has a lot and a loud wind down when he shuts it off and he took it in, it all checked out good and they said its just the turbo spooling to a stop. I figured it was a good sign that the turbo turned so easy that its still turning when the engines shut off???

X
Oct 8, 2009
If it is only spinning. That is fine. What you do not want is contact between the wheels/shaft and the housings. You will feel the contact points if you spin the wheel slowly by hand. If all you are hearing is the turbo slow down, there is nothing to worry about. Also, make sure you understand your setup. If it is self contained grease, you may need to grease it. If it is oil fed, make sure the turbo is getting oil pressure. Best of luck.

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
So I pulled the housing but before pulling it I spun it by hand to fell if there was any rubbing but I didn't feel any after I pull the housing and inspected the fan everything looked perfect and there is no play in the shaft in any direction. after I put it back together I didn't start it but after I restart it if its still doing it ill take a video. thanks for all the help guys.

Premium Features