• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time flatheads to BH

F
Feb 17, 2018
Minnesota
Not gonna even attempt at saying all our experience riding UP of Michigan, all of Minnesota, etc... even gives us a fighting chance to live on our first run to the Horns. What I am telling everyone is to prepare - water, shovel, use your head, proper gear and tools, etc... The majority run 136 - 145" sleds under 2" tracks. So...after perusing every possible site and reading all I can I have a question for you all: what can we expect? Staying at Bear Lodge, a total of 8+ guys and being the leader of this group (like herding cats) want to be open to any and everything coming our way. If you say we are only trail worthy, I get it. Are there people to pinpoint some early entry play points for us flatters? Everyone is excited to run their own sleds, but I am quite sure this may be our only time bringing such "shorties"...or am I? Thanks for anything you can send, even the jabs if you feel the need!

snowho96

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
ia
I would have the guys that guide out of bear lodge take you out a couple days. It would be well worth it since it is your first time there:face-icon-small-hap when are you going? We were just there and will be back march 10th

S
Jan 6, 2008
Keep in mind many of us rode in Wyoming when a 136" track was a long track. Sleds have come a long way since then. Will you keep up with a 155 inch sled... No. But keep your expectations reasonable and have fun.

O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
Plenty of good riding close to the trail, but there are spots through the trees that can get you in trouble so do a guide at least one day, ask in the bar if lee is around, he's a great rider and knows the area well.

F
Feb 17, 2018
Minnesota
I do appreciate the ideas from you all. I am assembling the troops and checking in to see what their flavor will be - as I really do not want to spend the time baby sitting all of them...

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
Keep in mind many of us rode in Wyoming when a 136" track was a long track. Sleds have come a long way since then. Will you keep up with a 155 inch sled... No. But keep your expectations reasonable and have fun.

started with a 136x1-1/2 now have 162x3
BUT have had fun every trip!
just be ready to help each other out, because it might be you next. :)

Premium Features