• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Qestions answered #1 VIPEC ECU

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Does the vipec have any way of reading baro on a N/A sled? Does the ecu have its own altitude compensating sensor? How does it or over lay with the 3 bar you add for boosted applications?

Trying to understand how this box works.

M
Oct 1, 2009
Just wanted to let everyone know about my experience with Bryce and the Vipec...

Bryce hooked me up with his basemap to get my sled out on the snow this past weekend. I built my kit myself (comp ct2-4747, oilless, 1000cc injectors in place of the stockers, turbosmart compgate 40, tial housing, turbosmart vee port pro). I used the OEM Bosch TMAP sensor for barometric pressure reading, and a GM 3 bar map sensor pinned into a seperate analog input into the ECU. Also used a GM IAT sensor into a seperate input and turned off the Bosch temp sensor.

The vipec has the control, function, and interface to be able to EASILY take Bryce's map and adapt it to my set up by:

-Scaling fuel delivery by 43% across the board to account for the use of the 1000cc injectors over the 630cc injectors
-Reduce fuel delivery at lower injector pulsewidths to account for the non-linear flow at low pulsewidths of the big modded injectors
-Create a 3D deadtime compensation table (voltage vs boost) since I am not using a 1:1 FPR
-Scale up 5D boost pressure fuel correction based on the decreasing effective fuel pressure.

All this took about an hour to do at home with some estimations based on math. The end result is the sled fired on 1st pull and took about a half hour to fine tune at the hills. We rode at Rabbit Ears which is ~9400 ft or 68-70 kpa barometric pressure. I was able to hold an AFR of 11.5- 12 at WOT and rode 40 miles the rest of the day without adjusting anything in the vipec. Since it was my 1st real shakedown ride I used a 3 psi turbosmart spring in the wastegate which ended up yielding me 4.4 pounds boost per the data logging in the ECU. The turbo spools QUICK (of course i'm not pumping that much boost) and I could NOT get the sled to bog or sputter at large throttle stabs from idle. I believe that the ecu has such a fast processor that a well tuned map will provide the proper fuel required during a throttle stab. I was running MDS clutch weights at 73.3 grams with the 42-48 helix and was able to turn 8000 RPM.. Next time out I am going to tune the MAC valve and boost control to be able to spool the turbo faster and hold to 7 pounds of boost which I estimate will put me around 8400 rpm so I will add weight up to ~ 75 grams.

All in all, I'm really impressed with Bryce's attentiveness and willingness to help out... WOW. He lives and breathes this stuff....

If you are on the fence about the vipec... you will NOT be disappointed in the ECU nor Bryce's help/service.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Bryce

I also just finished building a silber with a vipec with Bryce from Turbo Boyz.
Bryce is very helpful. He took the time to explain everything very clearly.
His knowledge is very impressive. He is very attentive and doesn't talk down to you like some other turbo builders i have delt with before.
My sled rips now. I took 2nd at jackson in the old guy category on it.
Bryce remoted in right before the race and dialed it in one last time.
Thanks again Bryce!
ps there are some good hillclimb pictures at reactionphoto.com

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I have to agree, Bryce has been great to deal with and answer any questions I have about tuning or the vipec. As soon as I get one thing dialed in there are ten more options I can do to get even better. I don't think there's much you can't do or adjust to get your sled running perfect.

M
Oct 1, 2009
Does the vipec have any way of reading baro on a N/A sled? Does the ecu have its own altitude compensating sensor? How does it or over lay with the 3 bar you add for boosted applications?

Trying to understand how this box works.

The vipec replaces the stock ecu. It's not a piggyback unit/box/injector signal modifier.. On a N/a sled it uses the oem bosch tmap sensor to read baro and compensates for it, as does the stock ecu(there is no built in baro sensor on the vipec). You add a gm map sensor to read manifold absolute pressure but keep the oem tmap to read baro and compensate based on a correction table in the ecu firmware (user programmable). The combination of the two allows you to correct for baro pressure and read/use boost/vacuum pressure. There are different fuel equations and load schemes you can use in the vipec but since a 2 stroke with individual throttle bodies has a very poor vacuum signal, it's easiest to control vacuum/off boost fueling based off throttle position (like a n/a sled) then switch to MAP based load input when on boost. So in essence the vipec uses baro comp to control fuel/spark across the board and uses the map sensor to control fuel and spark under boost

Last edited:

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I was aware that the vipec was a stand alone.. R8N and skadi are good friends of mine and have seen it 1st hand.. So if the vipec is being pushed on other brands, what controls the baro on the cat if the stock baro is in the stock ecu.. whats doing it then? There is just a lot of open unanswered things with this unit and not a lot of answers unless someone asks..

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I was aware that the vipec was a stand alone.. R8N and skadi are good friends of mine and have seen it 1st hand.. So if the vipec is being pushed on other brands, what controls the baro on the cat if the stock baro is in the stock ecu.. whats doing it then? There is just a lot of open unanswered things with this unit and not a lot of answers unless someone asks..

You can wire in an external bmap. Cat vipec has internal map sensor if i remember correct.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 2

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net

On the cats the baro sensor is built into the ecu. compensation is read by the sensor and then adjusts with a 4d compensation table. Bothe fuel and timing may be set up this way.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
where would you guys like me to go next on the vipec tuning lessons? there are guys who have really taken this system and not looked back.

I also know there are you do it yourselfers that need some help. let me know we can help. :gossip:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
where would you guys like me to go next on the vipec tuning lessons? there are guys who have really taken this system and not looked back.

I also know there are you do it yourselfers that need some help. let me know we can help. :gossip:

What are the capabilities for data logging & control of non-typical sensors for the ViPec? Ex: pipe pressure, turbo RPM, etc for R&D purposes?

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011

Bryce, my Vipec will be showing up in a month or so, and I plan on running it N/A on my 858 to start with. Can you elaborate on fine tuning using the logging capabilities, on a N/A sled? Maybe some tips on what to look for and how to fix it?

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
What are the capabilities for data logging & control of non-typical sensors for the ViPec? Ex: pipe pressure, turbo RPM, etc for R&D purposes?

We can set up the vipec to run any sensor that you want. The problem that exists is lack of pins in the stock Polaris plug. So what I use is the ethonal plug on a 11 an 12 then and a blank plug on the 13.

You will have to make your own table or set up your own voltage limits. But those are not hard.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Bryce, my Vipec will be showing up in a month or so, and I plan on running it N/A on my 858 to start with. Can you elaborate on fine tuning using the logging capabilities, on a N/A sled? Maybe some tips on what to look for and how to fix it?

Data logging is very easy, with the internal storage of the vipec you can run the sled with out a computer hooked to it.

We install a toggle switch inline to turn the data logging on or off as needed. The vipec will take 10 pics or approx 12 min of data.

Then after your run hook your computer up and pull the logs. Go to ecu controls and click on ecu log file down load. This will get you to the files. Them pick the one you want to look at and quick view it. Once the file has been retrieved click on the logger tab and your logg will be showing.

Simple things to look for is your AFR ration at each throttle position. Is you rpm following your throttle position. What is your temp is your egt at. Is my injector duty cycle rising with rpm and tp. What happens when I chop the throttle. Is the sled recovering like it should. What is my timing doing.

Is is just a few simple things to look for.

But one of the cool things to do is find a spot that your AFR might be I little high. Click back over to the tuning tab and a cross hair window will show up showing you the active cells that the ecu was grabbing to make fueling adjustments. That way you know exactly where to make the changes. Cool huh.

Hope this helps a bit.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Good info, thanks Bryce. Looking forward to working with you on tuning this fall!

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
i think i am going to set up some vids of how everything works. if you have something that you want answered on the vipec let me know i can help you out. Or show in a vid for you.

we have had very good feed back from everybody that installed these last year. this prodcut is the wave of the future and once you have tried it you wont go back. i promise.

also fyi we have them for the rzr 800 900 gained 16 hp stock!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

here is a small list of the vipecs we have available.
yamaha viper is coming soon.
artic cat 1100
artic cat proclimb
polaris pro
rzr 800
rzr 900
with more on the way Skidoo??? oh ya!!! :gossip:

D
Nov 14, 2013
Hey Bryce,

Bit of quick info, I am running an HM turbo kit, 6.5psi boost with larger injectors (used in the 240hp kit.) I am running 50/50 (av/pump.) This setup has not been out on the mountain yet, was running 6psi stock injectors and straight pump gas last year but I don't recommend this.......

Can you please tell my what all is involved with installing a switch for data logging using the vipec?

Also I noticed in your write up that you recommend a fuel pressure regulator for turbo sleds, just curious why? From my understanding with 6psi you are reaching the limit for the duty cycle on the stock injectors. Is this recommended to keep the fuel pressure in check while running close to the limit of the stock injectors? I am not running a fuel pressure regulator, just curious if I should be? Again I am not well studied on the subject but with the larger injectors mapping should be able to sort out fuel pressure, and therefore it is not an issue?

Thanks for the great article

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Hey Bryce,

Bit of quick info, I am running an HM turbo kit, 6.5psi boost with larger injectors (used in the 240hp kit.) I am running 50/50 (av/pump.) This setup has not been out on the mountain yet, was running 6psi stock injectors and straight pump gas last year but I don't recommend this.......

Can you please tell my what all is involved with installing a switch for data logging using the vipec?

Also I noticed in your write up that you recommend a fuel pressure regulator for turbo sleds, just curious why? From my understanding with 6psi you are reaching the limit for the duty cycle on the stock injectors. Is this recommended to keep the fuel pressure in check while running close to the limit of the stock injectors? I am not running a fuel pressure regulator, just curious if I should be? Again I am not well studied on the subject but with the larger injectors mapping should be able to sort out fuel pressure, and therefore it is not an issue?

Thanks for the great article

Hello Danny I Would Love To Speak With You Over THe Phone. Please SeNd Me Your Information Over In As Pm. I WOuld Love To Teach You About This Product. An Also Answer Your Questions.

S
Sep 20, 2008
The vipec has the control, function, and interface to be able to EASILY take Bryce's map and adapt it to my set up by:

-Scaling fuel delivery by 43% across the board to account for the use of the 1000cc injectors over the 630cc injectors
-Reduce fuel delivery at lower injector pulsewidths to account for the non-linear flow at low pulsewidths of the big modded injectors
-Create a 3D deadtime compensation table (voltage vs boost) since I am not using a 1:1 FPR
-Scale up 5D boost pressure fuel correction based on the decreasing effective fuel pressure.

If you are on the fence about the vipec... you will NOT be disappointed in the ECU nor Bryce's help/service.

Bryce, There's a lot of confusion about fuel regulators on the forums. You wrote "You will also need a good 1-1 rising fuel regulator. This will make it so the fuel pressure stays linear. As the boost rises so will the fuel pressure. This makes the fuel correction tables work correctly. Without any guessing if the amount of fuel you are supply to the motor and injectors is true and correct. We set the base fuel pressure at 45 psi. Our fuel regulator kit comes with everything needed to hook it up. "

By Dannyc's post it looks like the Vipec can work with a stock regulator, can you explain the two setups? Cool lessons and videos, I'm starting to think Vipec may be the next big thing.

Premium Features