• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Polaris Survey

How satisfied are you with your Polaris? Please click all that apply.

• Best sled I've ever owned!

Votes: 232 37.2%
  • Nice, but not what I was expecting.

Votes: 97 15.5%
  • Can I give it back?

Votes: 142 22.8%
  • Best performing motor ever!

Votes: 71 11.4%
  • Had some problems, but I'm glad they keep trying.

Votes: 164 26.3%
  • Never mind I'll do it myself.

Votes: 124 19.9%
  • Fit and finish is incredible!

Votes: 38 6.1%
  • I've seen better.

Votes: 115 18.4%
  • Give the kid his crayons back so he quits touching my sled.

Votes: 35 5.6%
  • Engineering that sets the standards!

Votes: 49 7.9%
  • It looks good on paper, but falls short by the time it leaves the assembly line.

Votes: 159 25.5%
  • You were one of those kids trying to put the triangle in the round hole weren't you.

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • I can't say enough about Polaris dealer support!

Votes: 88 14.1%
  • My dealer is always helpful, but doesn't always have the latest info.

Votes: 136 21.8%
  • Why do I know more than they do?

Votes: 160 25.6%

• Total voters

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
i love my 6hundo! and besides i bet they will come out with a mountain converted Rush and everyone will be back to loving polaris and swearin by them again :p

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
My 2000 800 had crank issue right out of warranty
Snow checked 900 they "fixed" it
New 800 will get "fixed " too when they stop making it !!
Wish they would pull there heads out!! Love my dealer but he didn't want it on trade (900) So I guess I got "lucky" not getting new 800??

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
well at my age ive owned 2 polaris sleds, 1991 indy 650 10 200 miles and still running strong wonder if the guy that baught it from me still has it? and now a 2005 900 fusion. i must say if i were to buy a new sled it would not be a polaris 800.

Something polaris should do that would blow everyones mind is, make a CFI 700-800 triple,single pipe that could easily put out 170 hp, since the xcr 800 had almost 160. make it as light as the new twin, yet destroy them on power, now that i would buy. :D

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
I feel that a lot of the disgruntled consumers comes from not being able to vent directly to Polaris. Polaris customer support line should be shut down as it makes people more angry after they tell you its a dealer problem. just my $1.50 Thanks

I wish this was why I'm Disgruntled.

Counting the flash my sled came with from the factory I am on flash number 7 or 8. I can’t remember if I got two last yr or one. It didn't really run long enough last yr to have two so maybe I'm on number 7.

Top ends? I'm on number 5 counting the one it came with from the factory. I’m sure it would have been at least 2 more if they would have put it back together last yr but they claimed to be running short on parts.

Time in the shop? Well I won't try and add this up in hours, day, or weeks so let just use months. I'm going to call it 4 months all during the long winter riding season but it might be closer to 3 and a half.

Support from Polaris? Well they did extend my warranty until the end of this yr. Oh ya I paid for the extended warranty so I really got nothing that I didn't already pay for, and it still runs poorly.

Other brand sleds I have owned for myself as my primary sled in my 49 yrs on this earth. Zero. But I did by my first Skidoo (told my wife it was for her) last yr while my sled sat in the shop for 8 weeks waiting for part. And I did enjoy it. It is a 600 summet with a 144 inch track, and it will outperform my 800 Dragon in everything but big bumps and deep powder. I was never very disapointed with any of my past sleds even thought some had a few issues. I was always able to make them run better then the next guy so I grew use to having the best. I don't really like having the worst which is were I am in my group of frends. It wont even run with my buddys old worn out first yr
M7.

Next Sled? Well I don't know but I am going to have a really hard time giving any more cash to Polaris at the moment.

Disgruntle because I can’t talk to Polaris?

I'm disgruntled because they figured out that they don't dare fix these sleds because then we would be able to sell them and buy a sled that runs.

Ok I fell better now. I started riding some 20 yrs ago almost every weekend as an escape and to have fun. Lately I go out riding and I come back and my wife ask me well is it running right (I've worked on it or the shop has worked on it every week since I purchased it) and I get to say no. So I have decided to not ride this weekend and enjoy my week and ponder my options.

Two and a half yrs of dealing with this sled has finally taken the fun out of snowmobile for me. I don't see a fix coming because the dealer can't find anything wrong and I don't have the answers either. Maybe it is time for me to finally take a chance on a different brand, it can't be worse than what I have.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I wish this was why I'm Disgruntled.

Counting the flash my sled came with from the factory I am on flash number 7 or 8. I can’t remember if I got two last yr or one. It didn't really run long enough last yr to have two so maybe I'm on number 7.

Top ends? I'm on number 5 counting the one it came with from the factory. I’m sure it would have been at least 2 more if they would have put it back together last yr but they claimed to be running short on parts.

Time in the shop? Well I won't try and add this up in hours, day, or weeks so let just use months. I'm going to call it 4 months all during the long winter riding season but it might be closer to 3 and a half.

Support from Polaris? Well they did extend my warranty until the end of this yr. Oh ya I paid for the extended warranty so I really got nothing that I didn't already pay for, and it still runs poorly.

Other brand sleds I have owned for myself as my primary sled in my 49 yrs on this earth. Zero. But I did by my first Skidoo (told my wife it was for her) last yr while my sled sat in the shop for 8 weeks waiting for part. And I did enjoy it. It is a 600 summet with a 144 inch track, and it will outperform my 800 Dragon in everything but big bumps and deep powder. I was never very disapointed with any of my past sleds even thought some had a few issues. I was always able to make them run better then the next guy so I grew use to having the best. I don't really like having the worst which is were I am in my group of frends. It wont even run with my buddys old worn out first yr
M7.

Next Sled? Well I don't know but I am going to have a really hard time giving any more cash to Polaris at the moment.

Disgruntle because I can’t talk to Polaris?

I'm disgruntled because they figured out that they don't dare fix these sleds because then we would be able to sell them and buy a sled that runs.

Ok I fell better now. I started riding some 20 yrs ago almost every weekend as an escape and to have fun. Lately I go out riding and I come back and my wife ask me well is it running right (I've worked on it or the shop has worked on it every week since I purchased it) and I get to say no. So I have decided to not ride this weekend and enjoy my week and ponder my options.

Two and a half yrs of dealing with this sled has finally taken the fun out of snowmobile for me. I don't see a fix coming because the dealer can't find anything wrong and I don't have the answers either. Maybe it is time for me to finally take a chance on a different brand, it can't be worse than what I have.
I have followed your plight on here since the beginning. It has been frustrating even for me. They could have bought yours back or even handed you a new one by now. These are snowmobiles and they are purchased to ride in the snow. An expensive toy to say the least considering the short season you can ride them. Then consider 3 years of down time and issues and it's easy to think about switching brands or even giving up the sport.
The biggest issue Polaris needs to address is that they fail to put themselves in the customers shoes. And how can you do that when you make millions a year and just grab a new sled whenever you want to ride? Us as consumers usually don't have those type of resources. You can tip your hat at Polaris for continually trying, but that doesn't change the fact that some of the sleds cause people to not ride. It is more stress than any toy should cause for sure.
This coming weekend will likely be the 4th ruined trip caused by this sled. I will personally have almost $1000 dollars into this motor (not counting my screw up :rolleyes:) when it's done and that is just fixing it right. This was money I was supposed to use for riding not fixing a poorly engineered product. Polaris won't cover any of my issues that are obviously inherent to the motor design. Everything has always been an excuse even when it looks like obvious warranty to me. And had I not been the one doing the work I can just about guarantee they wouldn't have found the problems and it would have caused more issues down the road.
Judging from the survey I think it's safe to say that Polaris needs to re evaluate how they do business. The final product seems to lack the quality it needs. As well customer relations needs to be improved whether that is from them to the dealer or Polaris to us.
It's scary to think they want to release a new sled again next year. Going from the 900 fiasco to the 800's I would have hoped they would stop rushing things. Pardon the pun. :pHead back to the chalk board and really focus on making the best product they can. Completely ditch the current 800 and start over. I have owned better from Polaris so I know they are capable.

J
Feb 13, 2009
Park City, UT
My 07 600 155 is the "Best sled I've ever owned."

But my last sled was a 2001 RMK 800 144 - a now-relic.

Only complaint on my 6 is that I must have put a liter of water into my intake through the light dial yesterday...

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Polaris survey

I just filled out my fourth or fifth Polaris customer satisfaction survey. ( They seem to send me one about every other time I take my sled in) I always write my comments in the appropriate space. Basically I tell them how unhappy I have been with my 10 thousand dollar product. Have yet to receive a reply from them. I suppose they just get fed into some scanner where they detect the boxes that have been filled in or not. If it wasn't for the service of the dealership I go to I would have ditched it a while ago. It actually is running a little better now, but far from it's capabilities. I feel terrible for some of the people on here that have problems that make mine seem minute. I can sympathize with Caridac, it does suck when you have the worst running setup in your group. I am down to my last gasp with a clutching set-up, hopefully it will run.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Polaris Satisfaction?

I need not be negative here on the 4m but when Polaris was helping owners out who were out of warranty with out of warranty adjustments it was putting money where their mouth is but now that they are voiding warrantys and not standing behind their sled defects and issues it will cost them. Obviously there claim to fame was the sled then the wheeler but now the sled may be the big down fall. We all know Polaris reads these posts but they must have be blind, deaf, and dumb to let some many of their customers blow in the wind! I will think twice before I buy a new machine from them considering I have all ways been a loyal polaris sled owner. It was 12 and counting. Now I will look at another brand!

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Well I know that it in a big part it is my service manger but I have been taking care of from a warrenty stand point. I get a little ranting do to frustration but all the work, rebuilds, checking this, checking that has been done at no charge to me except for I did pay for a set of plug once but I have had polaris pay for a set also. I just feel let down when in two and a half yr I am still fighting a sled that runs very poorly. I had big hope that after it sat for 8 weeks last yr while they said they were going to fix things that this yr I would get on it and it would rip like my old 03 800 escape. Didn't happen and infact it may run worse than it did last yr., but I have gone about 600 mile and it hasn't taken the topend out yet so that's a plus. So I shouldn't complain about warrenty and I hope everyone else is getting treated right by the dealers on warrenty also. But I still hear a lot of riders with issues. something isn't the same in all of these sled or this wouldn't be happening. And there are some great guys on hear that have truly tryed to help everone with issue and I want to extend a great big thanks to them.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Polaris

I have had Polaris my whole life dating back the the old three cylinder 630, the TX 440 and the TXL 340. Loved those sleds. I have had lots of new sled starting with the XLT and the 99-00 700. Bought a new 02 Edge and loved it. There have been small problems here and there as there is with any sled. I just had a 07 660 LOVED THE SLED. Its the best chassis by far. I just needed more power. I was able to sell it and for not much more buy a brand new 09 XP 163. I would have bought Polaris again but the 800'S suck. My 660 had as much power and feels way snappier and lighter. I went out on my new XP in deep snow last weekend and loved it. It still feels funky but it has gobs of power and ran all say stron in the deep stuff. I would have rather stuck with Polaris but why spend more money for a inferior more expensive product. I still have the XLT but now I ride a Doo

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
09 D8 163, 1400 miles since fall of 08....No issues whatsoever other than some minor RPM problems (has never been below 7900 however) and clutching has resolved the issue. The only complaint I have is the stock WE. Never trailored without cover and foam protectors but still managed to get minor pit (wasn't visible w/o black light) that caused them to fail.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I've had pretty darn good experiences with Polaris sleds, but I dont have one of the new 800s.... I have an old 02 800 and an 05 900... both AWESOME performing sleds. I do hope that Polaris cleans up their act tho, as of now, if I was in the market to replace my 900 (not gonna happen;):D) I would not be looking at Polaris, they just don't have a reliable high output motor. The IQ chassis is great IMO just a couple things that could have used some more thought, but all easily remedied.

I really think that if Polaris stuck a Suzuki 800 or 1000 motor in their sleds, they would be a REAL force to be reckoned with, but right now the motor just isn't there IMO. Hell, take a step into the past and stick an '05 900 CFI-2 with the updated stator, crank, and pistons and I think they would probably be in better shape than they are now...

so here's my score-card for my 900:

Fit and finish is ok, not great, but good
features on the digital display are great
handling is very good
Dealer support is good - they rebuilt my 9 b4 I bought it and it runs like a raped ape:D
Overall feelings, I love it:face-icon-small-hap

MTNMAN800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Denver Colorado
Its hard reading all the posts about the discontent with Polaris products. I have owned many and run them all very hard and really never had a serious issue. I feel the Dragon Chassis is the best on the snow. I have many friends that run all brands and have ridden them all and I think Cats M chassis and the Dragon chassis are well above the rest with the Dragon being the best. With the motors there seems to be some real issues that just can't be swept under the rug or fixed by bolting on an updated part. To me it seems that there must be something deep in the motor that cannot be fixed by changing a part or two. The guys that don't have problems with their motors ( and yes there are many ) just don't have problems at all. But those that do have problems seem virtually unfixable???? Doesn't make sense unless its a quality control issue. I will say I changed from an 800 to a 700 do to all the complaints about the 800s and I am extremely happy with my Dragon. I truly feel bad for all of you that have the unfixable's but I can also tell you that if you got a good motor in your sleds you wouldn't change brands for anything. Have a little faith, give the new motor / chassis a year to get some bugs out and then prepare for some real good riding.

Z
Sep 19, 2009
Loaded Survey

I have to say that in the past I had been extremely satisfied with Polaris. I even gave them the benefit of the doubt when they kept trying to straighten out my D8. In the long run it wasn't poo who came to my rescue. It was my dealer and the aftermarket industry.
I sent them a letter back in December and I have yet to hear from them, yep they are really interested in their customers. I am torn right now about sno-checking a new Dragon or switching brands. We have a new dealer(not new they just opened a location up here on the mountain where I ride) and they have Ski Doo and Yamaha. So I just may jump brands. I have had 6 Poo's and the D8 And lack of care by polaris and there overall quality just may have been the straw that broke the camels Back. The fact that my Head LIght adjuster takes in more powder and they have never even addressed this issue and everyone that owns one knows about this issue and even Tri-City that is their testing and proving grounds, they just smack a piece of duct tape across it. Nice Custom touch on a 10K plus machine. The Ski Doo Dealer invited me to come and Demo a New 800 for the weekend and I am going to take him up on it, and then debate which brand I buy. I do not mind buying a new sled, but when the manufacturer is being controlled by Bean counters and is more worried about making $$$ than in building the best product that they can. Bombardier is all about Engineering and R&D. So I think it is time that I go with a Manufacturer that cares about building an excellent product. Remember, Build it and they will Come !!!!!
So Peep's What is your recommendation on what brand is best and who I should go with. I do all of my riding between 8000 - 10500' and I love the powder. Climbing and free-styling. Any suggestions?

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I have to say that in the past I had been extremely satisfied with Polaris. I even gave them the benefit of the doubt when they kept trying to straighten out my D8. In the long run it wasn't poo who came to my rescue. It was my dealer and the aftermarket industry.
I sent them a letter back in December and I have yet to hear from them, yep they are really interested in their customers. I am torn right now about sno-checking a new Dragon or switching brands. We have a new dealer(not new they just opened a location up here on the mountain where I ride) and they have Ski Doo and Yamaha. So I just may jump brands. I have had 6 Poo's and the D8 And lack of care by polaris and there overall quality just may have been the straw that broke the camels Back. The fact that my Head LIght adjuster takes in more powder and they have never even addressed this issue and everyone that owns one knows about this issue and even Tri-City that is their testing and proving grounds, they just smack a piece of duct tape across it. Nice Custom touch on a 10K plus machine. The Ski Doo Dealer invited me to come and Demo a New 800 for the weekend and I am going to take him up on it, and then debate which brand I buy. I do not mind buying a new sled, but when the manufacturer is being controlled by Bean counters and is more worried about making $$$ than in building the best product that they can. Bombardier is all about Engineering and R&D. So I think it is time that I go with a Manufacturer that cares about building an excellent product. Remember, Build it and they will Come !!!!!
So Peep's What is your recommendation on what brand is best and who I should go with. I do all of my riding between 8000 - 10500' and I love the powder. Climbing and free-styling. Any suggestions?

Join DooTalk and go back to the threads in the Rev section for 07 and the XP in 08. You may get a different picture of Doo quality control...I was member RonS and had a lot to say about lack of quality. It wasn't an isolated thing either, just putting product out the door without testing. Doo lost so many engines that they ran out in late Jan. They had issues with Cranks, drive clutch, driven clutch & a lot of smaller ones that affected performance. If I were to jump brands it might be to a Cat but would research them first.
The thing I like about the new Poo is that it "appears" at this point that it is a sled that will need few mods. Mods are expensive and add little value on resale.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
. Have a little faith, give the new motor / chassis a year to get some bugs out and then prepare for some real good riding.

I gave them a year to work the bugs out in 2005. Another year in 2006. They didn't build an 800 in 2007. We all know the story of the '08, '09, and '10 800 models......My '04 Edge won't last forever (5,600 miles now) and after all of this, I would have to wait at least 2 years for a new model to prove itself to me........

My backup is a '99 RMK 700 with 6,500 miles - engine has never been apart, still starts on the 1st pull and runs strong.

Polaris needs to sort out their fuel mixture issues and build them solid like they did in the old days. Hell, put an Japanese engine in it like AC does........

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
I WISH I HAD KEPT MY 2007 D7!!

My 2010 D8 has been nothing but problems!! It only has 300 miles, and has been performing like a 600 since day one. I have had the Jan reflash, to adress mid range bog/hesitation (also my sled gets up to 73-7400 rpms and bogs down to 6800 until you either let up on the throttle or hammer it down), and it did not help a thing. In fact with the new flash i lost 200 rpms on the top end (apparantely they added even more fuel to the the top end!), awesome!!

Now my dad's 2008 w/10 updates and only 150 miles has the exact same symptoms mine does. I switched sleds with him this weekend for a bit, and if i was blindfolded i would not have been able to tell which sled i was on, exactly the same problems (and his has the original '10 ecu flash)!

This is getting very frustrating, and i am about to make sure i have really good insurance and tape the throttle down at the top of a very big cliff and watch it go bye bye!

Dealer we deal (owner) says he hates going to work right now (especially on Mondays), as the phone rings off the hook with disgruntled 800 owners! He has had updated sleds burn down, many electrical failures, etc..... and he says polaris is aware of the problems but has no answers for the dealerships (and they are a small dealership). They can only do what polaris tells/allows them to do! I feel bad for the dealerships in this situation, but unfortunately they are the middle man and the ones we disgruntled owners get to deal with!! They are probably the only ones polaris is going to listen to!

I too have owned polaris for alot of years including polaris four wheelers, and currently own a polaris rzr, (never owned another brand of snowmobile), but i am thinking it may be time. Not sure what the right answer is, because they all have issues, but it is the lesser of evils for me right now!! POLARIS PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR A^&!!!!

Premium Features