• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brake reservoir piston

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Need help understanding the piston.
I was putting on a new brake lever. I took the old one off and put the new one on. After the new one was on, I realized i didnt put the little lock washer/keeper on the brake lock part. I took the lever back off and the piston that the lever presses against popped out.

What holds that in? The brake lever itself? Or is there something internal? Clearly The seal has released because I lost all the fluid. But, does this assembly need replaced or can I shove it all back in and the brake will hold it in place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Thanks for the info, that’s what I was wanting to hear.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
This is the silliest thing I’ve dealt with all week.
I cannot get pressure to the brakes. I’ve bled the system 5 different ways. My last attempt is reverse bleeding. I’ve got no air, clean fluid coming out both ways. If i attach a hose and open the bleeder, I very slowly get fluid and no bubbles. If i squeeze the brake lever, I get fluid, no bubbles. When I reverse bleed, I can very slowly fill up the resevoir.
I don’t think I’m missing anything on this elementary task, but something isn’t right.
If I had a leak it seams like the bubbles would be never ending.
Only thing I haven’t done is remove the caliper. This doesn’t seem needed. Please help before i toss a match and walk away in slow motion.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’m thinking you are right. Possibly a clip or washer or something in the master cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Jan 16, 2008
This happened to me. I had to fill up the cylinder where the piston goes into with brake fluid, then I could get it to bleed correctly. It becomes airlocked and there is no way to purge that whole cylinder full of air.

Rotate brake so the cylinder is facing up, fill up with fluid, replace piston, rotate brake back to operating position, fill reservoir, and bleed.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
^^this
So I had 2 issues. I did have a a problem with the master cylinder sealing. I put an o ring right behind tHe boot in that little slot and that made a good seal. I still couldn’t get pressure though it would bleed. I pumped the brake about 20 times and kept it held in, then cracked the banjo bolt on the other side of the cylinder and a good amount of air came out. After closing the banjo, I released the lever and it was almost fully pressurized.
Thanks for the info all, I almost had to ride a pro this weekend.

Premium Features