• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken steering stop?

A

Alaskanindigo

Jan 28, 2015
Palmer, ak
I went into my bars at full turn with my chest and heard an audible snap. The steering still seems fine maybe a little looser not sure. Does anyone know what might of broken if anything? It's a 15 pro, thanks in advance.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I went into my bars at full turn with my chest and heard an audible snap. The steering still seems fine maybe a little looser not sure. Does anyone know what might of broken if anything? It's a 15 pro, thanks in advance.

Plastic steering block.
It breaks and the aluminum strap keeps the broken pieces in place.

You have to pull the console to access.

A

Alaskanindigo

Jan 28, 2015
Palmer, ak
Yup, definitely the culprit, thanks. Should I replace with stock setup from dealer or aftermarket? Don't really wanna wait for something ordered.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Yup, definitely the culprit, thanks. Should I replace with stock setup from dealer or aftermarket? Don't really wanna wait for something ordered.

Anchorage Yamaha/Polaris might have oft racing billet replacements in stock.
Or just buy a stocker ($12 each) and order some upgraded ones.

A

Alaskanindigo

Jan 28, 2015
Palmer, ak
Anchorage Yamaha/Polaris might have oft racing billet replacements in stock.
Or just buy a stocker ($12 each) and order some upgraded ones.

Right on, I'll call around tomorrow, I'm gonna weld and reshape the steel triangle piece on shaft it's a little mushroomed in. I wonder if it's better to have that plastic bushing break as opposed to something more serious with the billet stuff? I'm guessing the reviews have all been good with the oft?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Right on, I'll call around tomorrow, I'm gonna weld and reshape the steel triangle piece on shaft it's a little mushroomed in. I wonder if it's better to have that plastic bushing break as opposed to something more serious with the billet stuff? I'm guessing the reviews have all been good with the oft?

The plastic will probably save your overstructure. :)

The oft are definitely solid, i ran the happy face ones on my pro. As they were slightly cheaper and had vertical adjustment to take out that slop also.

http://happyfacepp.com/steering-post-bushing-polaris-pro/

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Make sure to install the blocks the right way though lol. Previous owner of my sled didn't so my steering post had about a 1/4-1/2 of an inch of up pull slop.

A

Alaskanindigo

Jan 28, 2015
Palmer, ak
The plastic will probably save your overstructure. :)

The oft are definitely solid, i ran the happy face ones on my pro. As they were slightly cheaper and had vertical adjustment to take out that slop also.

http://happyfacepp.com/steering-post-bushing-polaris-pro/

You had me at saving over structure! The happy face do like nice, I'll just pick up stock, the slop doesn't bother me, easy enough to replace.

This spring snow tends to get me in trouble, back in 2010 this same week I went into my bars and cracked my ribs, ended my season I swore I was gonna get a tekvest, never did.

A

Alaskanindigo

Jan 28, 2015
Palmer, ak
Make sure to install the blocks the right way though lol. Previous owner of my sled didn't so my steering post had about a 1/4-1/2 of an inch of up pull slop.

Right on, will do, I was riding with a guy who had the adjustable cat bars. After hearing the snap he didn't offer a good reference cause his still had more slop in all directions.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
It looked like their was some white lithium grease on these bushings, would automotive wheel bearing grease work just as well?

The lithium is low temp grease, the automotive grease is not low temp (unless you happen to have some really nice syn stuff). Standard chassis / wheel bearing grease cloud cause increased steering effort in low temps.

A

Alaskanindigo

Jan 28, 2015
Palmer, ak
The lithium is low temp grease, the automotive grease is not low temp (unless you happen to have some really nice syn stuff). Standard chassis / wheel bearing grease cloud cause increased steering effort in low temps.

Makes sense, thanks, I'm gonna roll the dice with what I had in garage.

Premium Features