• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

garmin ???

O
Dec 20, 2008
sicamous BC
I went and bought 2 new Garmin GPS... first one is a rino 110. it worked good for the first trip now the lights wont come on??? I also bought at the same time a 530HCx.... the 530 was not a cheap unit, but have had nothing but problems with this model. when I first got it, the radio would not send (talk button wouldnt beep when pushed) so I drove back 3 hours to get a replacement. now the new 530 will not turn on when turned off, untill you remove the battery. also this unit has got me lost (for 4 hours)because the screen desided to quite working. does garmin have good quality? this will be 3 units that have gone down, and I only used each unit 1-2 times. I phoned garmin and they said just to return it to the store I bought it from but they dont understand it cost me 3 hours every time plus gas plus,plus......

I just want a unit that will work the first time I use it. is this asking to much?

would just like to hear input from other people on these units? before I bought them I did my homework I thought Garmin Rino was a good unit?

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Very intertesting post. I've been watching the Garmin Rhino 530HCX for 3 years, doing my homework all along (while saving up because no, they aren't cheap). We just got ours. I will have to start playing with them.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen anything bad about them.....hopefully our 2 will be fine and you just had some unfortunate luck (not that I wish anyone bad luck).

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I LOVE my Garmin Rino 530. However, I am on my 4th replacement unit. Each of the 3 previous units I've had either had a problem with the speaker or with the transmit function of the radio. The gps portion continued to work on all of the models.

When riding in groups, the "Go To Friend" option is AWESOME. My buddy got stuck in a ravine and we didn't know where he was. Using the "Go To Friend" option, we were able to tell exactly how far he was and and what bearing. VERY NICE!

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
What kind of timeframe on these failures? How long on this last one? All covered under warranty I take it?

Normal use, heavier use.....meaning radio might take a bang/drop here or there, or dropped in snow? Just curious on that as well.

Thanks

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
IMO Garmin is very good quality and there customer service is even better. If you call them they will help you, if you need a new device they will ship you one quickly.

I've had two handle bar mounts break and they shipped me new ones for no cost. Lost a 530 a few weeks ago, couldn't prove if it was the mount or my dumb azz that didn't mount it right so they sent me a brand new one at cost $130).

Sounds like you've had some bad luck. BTW. The beep when you press talk is a setting, I have mine turned off.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
What kind of timeframe on these failures? How long on this last one? All covered under warranty I take it?

Normal use, heavier use.....meaning radio might take a bang/drop here or there, or dropped in snow? Just curious on that as well.

Thanks

Most of the failures occurred within 6 months and they covered each one under warranty. I am VERY impressed with Garmin's customer service. Top notch each time.

The current 530 I am using I have had for close to 2 years and no problems.

S

Skippyspad

Dec 18, 2009
Loveland, CO
I finally started looking at handheld GPS a few months back. Setteled on the Garmin Colorado 400T. After A lot of research on the different brands, I found that Garmin seems to be on top of their game. They seem to resolve issues quickly and still believe the customer is important even after the sale.

Make sure you have logged on to Garmin's Website now and then to update your system. That seems to be the most common problem people have is not updating to fix software glitches.

Mike

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I had a Garmin ETrex that simply wouldn't stay on. I replaced it with another brand but found out later that Garmin is sort of infamous for using crappy spring steel to hold the batteries in place. The ETrex is known for the batteries losing connection temporarily from moving the unit and shutting the unit down. But I won't use a GPS that isn't reliable so now I use a Delorme. My old man uses a Magellan.

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
No issues w/ Garmin here...

I'm on my second year with the 530hcx, I haven't had any problems with it all. Takes a little time to get used to all the features but once you figure it all out its great. Prior to the 530 I had a 60csx and has no issues with that model either.

Happy Sledding:)

O
Dec 20, 2008
sicamous BC
IMO Garmin is very good quality and there customer service is even better. If you call them they will help you, if you need a new device they will ship you one quickly.

I've had two handle bar mounts break and they shipped me new ones for no cost. Lost a 530 a few weeks ago, couldn't prove if it was the mount or my dumb azz that didn't mount it right so they sent me a brand new one at cost $130).

Sounds like you've had some bad luck. BTW. The beep when you press talk is a setting, I have mine turned off.

it wasnt just a beep. the button wouldnt activate the lights or the raidio. yes warranty replaced unit but it has zero time on it....right out of the box it never worked. the second 530 was gimped also right out of the box. I charged it up over night and when i went sledding the next day I powered it up at home then shut it off. when I got to the hill 20 mins latter it would not power up. I used my 110 that day. when I got home I put it on the charger and it was dead. so i charged it again. I powered it up and then shut it off. I then went to power it up again and it would not turn on. I removed the battery and re installed it and then it powered up again. the only way I can turn it on is to remove the battery and reinstall it then it will start up when you hit the button. this unit is going back because I used it like this for a day and got so lost because when you hit the talk button on the radio it makes the screen glitch and you loose all dirrection. it was a really foggy day and got really lost for 4 hours. called garmin and we did some testes and they said it is toast and to bring it back to the store I bought it from. I e-mailed them today and because we are in Canada there is a 3 party that does there warranty work. as for the 110 it is just the light on the screen that stopped working after the second time out with it. my main question is they should have better quality control. two 530 out of the box that had a noticable issue with them! oh well what is another 3 hour drive after 3 all ready to go back to the store I bought them from! these are going to be the most expensive GPS units I have ever owned lol

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Sorry to hear about your luck. Why another three hour drive though, can't they send you a new one and have you ship the old one back?

it wasnt just a beep. the button wouldnt activate the lights or the raidio. yes warranty replaced unit but it has zero time on it....right out of the box it never worked. the second 530 was gimped also right out of the box. I charged it up over night and when i went sledding the next day I powered it up at home then shut it off. when I got to the hill 20 mins latter it would not power up. I used my 110 that day. when I got home I put it on the charger and it was dead. so i charged it again. I powered it up and then shut it off. I then went to power it up again and it would not turn on. I removed the battery and re installed it and then it powered up again. the only way I can turn it on is to remove the battery and reinstall it then it will start up when you hit the button. this unit is going back because I used it like this for a day and got so lost because when you hit the talk button on the radio it makes the screen glitch and you loose all dirrection. it was a really foggy day and got really lost for 4 hours. called garmin and we did some testes and they said it is toast and to bring it back to the store I bought it from. I e-mailed them today and because we are in Canada there is a 3 party that does there warranty work. as for the 110 it is just the light on the screen that stopped working after the second time out with it. my main question is they should have better quality control. two 530 out of the box that had a noticable issue with them! oh well what is another 3 hour drive after 3 all ready to go back to the store I bought them from! these are going to be the most expensive GPS units I have ever owned lol

G

Gibsons

Nov 26, 2007
saskatoon
2 years on my rino 530. works great. only issue was the little plastic tab which holds the bottom of the battery on mysteriously broke. not sure how, i never dropped it.:face-icon-small-fro

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My son and I carry a matching set of 530HCx in our packs.
Thus far we have had NO problems with them at all!

The only thing I have had an issue with was never getting the $50 rebate checks from last summer when I bought them!

P

pokerplayer1

Mar 23, 2009
Bend, Or

haven't had to send mine back, but a friend told me, if you do, remove the battery, they will replace the entire unit, and you have a spare.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I have had my 130 for about 6 years. Never had a problem with it. And believe me I have put it through quite a bit.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
our group bought 4 of the 530's two years ago and not one problem so far. They are a little complicated at first but they have some of the best features. The only real issue that gets me is the joystick is really easy to bump if you are keeping it in your pocket. Garmin should offer some type of protector to go around that button without having to pull it out of some case all the time.

FYI we have some white peaks here, the season is starting up!

J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
I just got the Garmin GPSmap 62st and love it, I used it on a backpacking trip last week and it worked great, couldn't ask for more, and the topo maps that is comes with are pretty good too.

Premium Features