• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who still makes a bolt on big bore kit in 2017?

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Hello,

I haven't posted on here for a few years now! Last time I posted on here I started a thread about boring my king cat and what kit was best. But after I graduated college, got a house, then got deployed, life happened you could say! But im back and I want to do this bore this summer!!

My question is - What companies still actually make a bolt on kit now that its 2017? I would like to bore my old King Cat to at least a 1000cc. The companies I have read about for boring the King Cat are Speedwerx, RK Tek, Cuttler, and D&D?? ... My reasearch suggest that Speedwerx is the only company still makeing a bore kit for the 900 King Cat I have. However they do not sell jugs, I am assuming I would send my jugs into them to bore to fit 1000cc pistons, it looks like they sell 1000cc heads, pistons, and domes.

I know a lot of people on here are partial to the 975 bore with M1000 pistons and a spacer. But I dont see anyone manufacturing these spacers or boring the cylinders to the desired size. I would like a bore kit that if I have a melt down, I can just go online and order the parts I need that night. Minus waiting for a cylinder to get re-bored if I end up getting a scored one.

I only take a max of 3 trips out west a year. So my sled only gets rode VERY HARD for 3 weeks out of the year. Minus a few ditch bang sessions at home to test out a new setup.

So what companies still make bore kits for the 05 King Cats, and which size of bore is practical with this sled for building around and getting other performance mods to work with it. Bore sizes I know are or where popular are the 925, 975, 1000, 1010, 1150 am I missing any? Anyway any new info would be appreciated.

Very Respectfully: 507Sledz

Last edited:
S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
a 1010 from D&D were very popular, should be able to find one on Ebay, I think they used Wiesco pistons that you can probably still get. Or you could just call D&D racing a see if they still have kits to sell.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
go with the 975 stock cat m1000 pistons are cheap and going to be available for years to come. the bores with custom pistons tend to be hard to get and more expensive over time.
on a side note I would just sale the old 1m and just by a newer chassis aka a f1000 or ect.

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Like Kiliki said, I'd do the 975. We're still running a bunch of them. We can get the spacers made as well. You can get them bored and plated directly by Millenium. The only issue is the porting. My dad has done all of ours, but he doesn't have much time to do others. We run modified stock heads and modified exhaust valves. (Only modification is enlarging for the bigger bore.)

IMO there's not really going to be an answer where you can just buy replacement parts online. This is your best bet for parts being available in the future.

Also, with the Polaris 800 engine trouble, you can pick up a rolling chassis and drop the 975 in it. We've got one in a dragon, a buddy just finished his in a Pro.

Last edited:

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
a 1010 from D&D were very popular, should be able to find one on Ebay, I think they used Wiesco pistons that you can probably still get. Or you could just call D&D racing a see if they still have kits to sell.

Sledbrain,

I will look around, I will call D&D when I get state side!

Respectfully: 507Sledz

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
go with the 975 stock cat m1000 pistons are cheap and going to be available for years to come. the bores with custom pistons tend to be hard to get and more expensive over time.
on a side note I would just sale the old 1m and just by a newer chassis aka a f1000 or ect.

Kiliki,

You have a point for going to be around for awhile, it is getting harder and harder to find parts for the King Cats. Selling the old King Cat would ruin the fun of modding it plus they arent worth much these days, When these sleds first came out I was in love with them, but young and could not afford one. I finally got my hands on one about 5 years ago, I know there are 100's of better chassis out there then the ZR chassis, but my goal is to see just how nimble and fast I can make this sled with modded parts. Once I finish it will become my spare sled!

P.S. next sled is going to be an IQR RR then mountain mod it or a Yamaha Nytro, Skinz kit all over, Turbo and 174" track!!

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Like Kiliki said, I'd do the 975. We're still running a bunch of them. We can get the spacers made as well. You can get them bored and plated directly by Millenium. The only issue is the porting. My dad has done all of ours, but he doesn't have much time to do others. We run modified stock heads and modified exhaust valves. (Only modification is enlarging for the bigger bore.)

IMO there's not really going to be an answer where you can just buy replacement parts online. This is your best bet for parts being available in the future.

Also, with the Polaris 800 engine trouble, you can pick up a rolling chassis and drop the 975 in it. We've got one in a dragon, a buddy just finished his in a Pro.

Idcatman3,

Do you make the spacers yourself or have someone make them for you?

What needs to happen with the porting for the 975 kit to work properly?

How does the 975 do against other bored kits in this sled?

How much HP will I gain from this setup, Sled only has a SLP pipe right now everything else is stock!

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for the replys! Any more info on other kits would be much appreciated, really want to get the whole picture from as many kits and setups before I pull the trigger this summer!

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Idcatman3,

Do you make the spacers yourself or have someone make them for you?

What needs to happen with the porting for the 975 kit to work properly?

How does the 975 do against other bored kits in this sled?

How much HP will I gain from this setup, Sled only has a SLP pipe right now everything else is stock!

We have them cut at a local shop. I believe he has kept the specs, and can always make more. It's just a .063" spacer identical in shape to the base gasket. It would be trivial for many places to make one if you ever needed replacements. However, it's also not really a wear part. You shouldn't damage one unless you break a rod and destroy your crankcase.

We don't do a bunch of radical porting. Just take the ports back to stock ratios. Any boring on the cylinder requires porting. There should be shops around willing to do it.

We haven't run against other big bored King Cats. We did run with a stage 1 SLP M1000, and it was very comparable.

We do this kit over others mostly for the cost, and the pistons

Pistons are cheap, it's not a high-dollar kit from a company. We do most of the work ourselves.

Pistons are cast, not forged weiscos which come with their own problems (and benefits, but we prefer cast.)

We can do a whole top end for ~$1000.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Buddy of mine has a 999 motor sitting in the garage. He has no plans for it that I know of so I'm guessing the price would be reasonable. If interested I can get you his number.

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Buddy of mine has a 999 motor sitting in the garage. He has no plans for it that I know of so I'm guessing the price would be reasonable. If interested I can get you his number.

mysledblows,

What brand of kit is it? Speedwerx, D&D, RK-Tek, ect? I am possibly interested just need a little more info. Currently deployed however so I am unable to call back to the states.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Check out or call Terraplsracing they have a 975 kit on there website. I think these were some of the better big bore kits for the king kat.

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Check out or call Terraplsracing they have a 975 kit on there website. I think these were some of the better big bore kits for the king kat.

ZR600,

I couldnt find a website for Terraplsracing?

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Once I do this big bore will I need a Control box, Like boondockers control box?

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Hello,

I haven't posted on here for a few years now! Last time I posted on here I started a thread about boring my king cat and what kit was best. But after I graduated college, got a house, then got deployed, life happened you could say! But im back and I want to do this bore this summer!!

My question is - What companies still actually make a bolt on kit now that its 2017? I would like to bore my old King Cat to at least a 1000cc. The companies I have read about for boring the King Cat are Speedwerx, RK Tek, Cuttler, and D&D?? ... My reasearch suggest that Speedwerx is the only company still makeing a bore kit for the 900 King Cat I have. However they do not sell jugs, I am assuming I would send my jugs into them to bore to fit 1000cc pistons, it looks like they sell 1000cc heads, pistons, and domes.

I know a lot of people on here are partial to the 975 bore with M1000 pistons and a spacer. But I dont see anyone manufacturing these spacers or boring the cylinders to the desired size. I would like a bore kit that if I have a melt down, I can just go online and order the parts I need that night. Minus waiting for a cylinder to get re-bored if I end up getting a scored one.

I only take a max of 3 trips out west a year. So my sled only gets rode VERY HARD for 3 weeks out of the year. Minus a few ditch bang sessions at home to test out a new setup.

So what companies still make bore kits for the 05 King Cats, and which size of bore is practical with this sled for building around and getting other performance mods to work with it. Bore sizes I know are or where popular are the 925, 975, 1000, 1010, 1150 am I missing any? Anyway any new info would be appreciated.

Very Respectfully: 507Sledz

Pm me pro max 950 kit. Complete bolt on in box. Have two buddies with this kit. If I owed a cat is run it.

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=217&controller=product

Premium Features