• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel icing issues

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I'm having an icing issue in my tunnel. It's a 2009 nytro. Started a while back when I put under tunnel exhaust on it. Got worse when I put a turbo on it. In deep snow it would build up two to three inches of heavy snow in the back of the tunnel.

Decided to try and delete the radiator and stock tunnel cooler and put a tunnel cooler in that covers most of the rear of the tunnel behind the turbo. It's horrible now. I had ice so bad today it almost kept the upper idler wheels from turning. I've seen plenty of Nytro's with tunnel coolers but I don't know why anyone would run one if their experience is anything like mine. Is there just some kind of issue I'm dealing with? I did notice that the temps seem to run really low now. Even Pushing the sled hard it is usually well below 100 off trail in good snow. Could a bad thermostat that is letting the engine run too cool make my situation worse?

Any advice would be great especially from someone with a similar setup.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This is a bit discouraging to hear because i just installed a tunnel cooler to get rid of the front radiator and shift weight to the back of the sled. I don't have under tunnel exhaust or turbo, but i would think with a turbo and under tunnel exhaust and cooler the area would be quite a bit warmer and keep ice from forming. I have not been out this year yet since lack of snow around my area to see if i experience the same type of thing with mine.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Please let me know how it goes when you do go out. I know the Polaris runs a tunnel cooler and I noticed some icing when I rode one but nothing like I experienced on mine yesterday.

Sorry to hear you still don't have enough snow:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I'm having an icing issue in my tunnel. It's a 2009 nytro. Started a while back when I put under tunnel exhaust on it. Got worse when I put a turbo on it. In deep snow it would build up two to three inches of heavy snow in the back of the tunnel.

Decided to try and delete the radiator and stock tunnel cooler and put a tunnel cooler in that covers most of the rear of the tunnel behind the turbo. It's horrible now. I had ice so bad today it almost kept the upper idler wheels from turning. I've seen plenty of Nytro's with tunnel coolers but I don't know why anyone would run one if their experience is anything like mine. Is there just some kind of issue I'm dealing with? I did notice that the temps seem to run really low now. Even Pushing the sled hard it is usually well below 100 off trail in good snow. Could a bad thermostat that is letting the engine run too cool make my situation worse?

Any advice would be great especially from someone with a similar setup.
Bring a mallet to break off the ice.... it's a loosing proposition... I have sprayed pledge with success... but for long rides you have to keep applying.... yep pretty ghetto know. Also could carry a little deicer with the mallet ..

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
its 60 degree here and i never made it out yet with schedule and lack of snow this winter is shaping up just like last winter. when it finialy snows there is no base and it warms ups quickly after so it turned the snow into a mashed potato's consistency this sucks

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
its 60 degree here and i never made it out yet with schedule and lack of snow this winter is shaping up just like last winter. when it finialy snows there is no base and it warms ups quickly after so it turned the snow into a mashed potato's consistency this sucks

Yep.... We have some small storms but it is time for a big one...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Do some searching in the generals section. I remember reading a thread of a couple products, one being a Rustoleum brand, that are suppose to repel water. The biggest problem with tunnel coolers is you heat it up, melt the snow right away, but the cool air causes that melted snow to freeze right away. If possible, try the rustoleum stuff, possibly wrapping the outside of your tunnel, or if worse comes to worse, powdercoating would helps quite a bit as well.

A
Dec 1, 2012
Plain, WA.
my 2 cents

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents. I had the same problem when I took the stock seat off my edge chassie and put a raised shorty seat on it. I read all the posts on products to apply. The one I went with is sign vinyl and put it on using just the adhesive on the vinyl itself using a soap solution to squeegy it into place so far it works great and any build up it might get one rap on the tunnel with your hand clears it.

D
I have a 2008 nytro MTX and Its pretty stock and I don't really have any problems with icing especially when I'm riding. Of course it ices up once I stop moving and shut the sled off for awhile. I just use the handle off my shovel to hit it off.

Premium Features