• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 800 improvements

E
Apr 1, 2010
How can I improve my gen 2 800? Currently it is a 144 track with a 2 inch riser and a can for mods. Im getting a set of mods skis to help it float better so far this year. Any other suggestions? Is cutting off the sway bar a huge imporvement? Also can I change the track angle to make it float better?

the king.jpg

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
removing the sway bar makes it a dream too carve just tighten ur frt shocks, as for ride no they suck you cant gain much! unless ur lucky and find a m10 or new skid then slightly, i want ur 144 and skid :) !! and yes adjusting ur attack angle might help,

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Find a used Holz rear suspension for it is the only way to make it better in the powder.

I'm not a fan of taking the sway bar out, but that is a personal preference thing.

Its a snowcheck with Fox shocks right? Send the shocks off to a good shock guy (Carl's Cycle in Boise) and have them rebuilt and valved for your riding and weight. It will make a very noticeable difference in ride.

sled_guy

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
removing the sway bar makes it a dream too carve just tighten ur frt shocks, as for ride no they suck you cant gain much! unless ur lucky and find a m10 or new skid then slightly, i want ur 144 and skid :) !! and yes adjusting ur attack angle might help,

Dude! a m10 is a HORRIBLE skid unless your riding nothing but trails. It over couples and trenches like no other. And the attack angle up front is INSANE. Your not a trail rider are you? haha

Last edited:
F
Jun 7, 2008
Yes most definitly get rid of that sway bar!!! Also look into getting the crank trued and welded and the big bearing crank kit for reliability before she throws the crank through the block if it hasn't been done already. I have a snow checked 01 RMK 800 144. Has the crank and bearing upgrade (Allsport Polaris in WA: awesome to deal with), SLP pipe and can, clutched, 4" bar risers, Lefty throttle (a must!) boost bottle, air box baffles removed, and SLP SLT skis. It has been a very good reliable sled. Very fast and fun. My only complaint is the 144 track...I'd like a 151 or 155 for the steep and deep. A boss high rise is also on the wish list

E
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks for the input. I want to get a boss seat but it currently isnt in the budget. Are there better tracks to get? Im missing a few lugs on this one. The motor could probably use some work soon it has 3700 miles on it :face-icon-small-dis.

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
Replace that top end, it's easy and not too expensive. You can always make your own highrise seat. Just use the noodles kids use to swim with, build it up to how high is comfortable for you and re-cover. They don't hold water like the foam in the stock seats. Def dump the sway bar, boost bottles help, if you have an ACCS on it take it off. Just run your carb lines into the air box.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have the same sled. EXACLTY.

OK, well it was that way when I brought it home in Sept of 2000. LOL

BTW, those don't have ACCS on them.

If you drop the sway bar, you definately need to tighten up your preload in the springs.

You can move the rear skid back about an inch without going to a longer track...that will help the approach angle, but THAT isn't the most important thing you can do.

Drop the skid down a little in both the front and back too.

There was a forumla/ratio for how far down you have to drop it when you slide the skid back.

I think for every 1" you move it back, you cam drop the rear skid about 1/75".

Don't forget to drop the front if you drop the rear. You want the rails sitting FLAT on the shop floor when you are done.

Gut the airbox and get the SLP big mouth box top for it.

Freshen the top end and get the crank checked.

REBUILD THE PRIMARY!!!!!

N
Jan 31, 2008
Libby, MT
I have the same sled with a 159, slp single, v force, boss seat, 6 inch rise, lite hood. bad *** old sled, I broke the crank last ride of 2011 with around 7,000 miles on it. They don't build them like they use to.

Take the sway bar out, recharge your shocks to your weight, put a high rise seat on it and rise your handle bars.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
what ever you do DONT put a finger track on it !!

Is that a poke at me? LOL

I have a finger track on mine...and with the amount of deep powder I miss out on...I love it for the set up days and the spring sun.

ALWAYS hook up well with that thing.

BTW, Andra, did you look at that XLT carb thread tonight?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
The 2001 SCS. What a great sled!! I still have the old girl to this day. I love the red hood, red seat and graphics. I thought the SCS came stock with the 151.

Before removing your swaybar you should try to ride a sled with it removed. I have always preferred the feel of the sled with the swaybar.

Back in 01 I believe the stock secondary clutch was still the button clutch so upgrading to the Team roller is a nice adjustment. SLP Air box kit is a nice improvement along with the SLP florites in the dash. Let me know if you are interested in a Gen II SLP air box kit as i have one. In fact I think I have two. The SLP single pipe is the way to go. SLP does great port work. I have had both Simmons and SLP Powder Pros and they are both excellent for the Gen II chasis. The v-force reeds are nice and that little steering post bracket thing to better support the steering post is a nice little adjustment.....I thinks its made by Sno-tek.

You might find that adjusting the limiter strap, front/rear shock and torsion springs for proper weight transfer really helps hillclimbing.

I also went with a camo 151 challenger and hyperfax and love the setup. The last thing I've done is go wiht the Fabcraft moutain bars...they are super. Oh I forgot, at some point I dropped in a PSI 1085...real nice but now I am back to a PSI 890. The only adjustments I made specifically for the PSI motors were to add a suplemental rear cooler and a water temp gauge in the dash.

Here's a tip...when using the seat pouch put your things in a plastic bag to keep them dry or they will be soaking wet.

The Gen II is a great chasis and either stock or modified you cant go wrong. It's bullet proof. I'm not sure stuff like drop and roll and relocating the skid will do all that much for you. I think your $$ is better spent on HP.

04-30-06BigHole005.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Premium Features