• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Polaris iq 800 - I have a chance to buy one - is it buyer beware?

I
Feb 6, 2011
I just received an insurance check for my 2007 IQ 600 HO cfi and I am looking at buying a 2009 IQ 800. Should I buy it - it has all of the updates?
What should I be concerned about.
I have been reading many posts about bad engines.
Did the update - rebuild fix it or is the current owner selling to avoid problems?
How does the performance of the 09' 800 compare to the 07' 600HO CFI?
Please advise.
Thank you.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Your going to get different opinion's on this, but if it was me I would bypass the 2009 and save your money for a Pro. I have read and witnessed to many break downs with the IQ 800 motor. A lot of the non reputable company's doing the update didn't measure anything when putting the pistons back in and the tolerances were way to sloppy.. They pretty much just slapped them back together using high school student mechanic, because Polaris would only pay the shops two hours to do the update and if done properly it should take maybe guessing 6 to 8 hours... However if the update was done properly then it runs great, but then you have to worry about the voltage regulator,ecm,etc. There's a reason people bought them for $10,000 and then two years later selling them to $5000..... Well another reason is the PRO! Good luck!

Last edited:

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Even though I had one and it ran great for 2200 miles with no problems I wouldn't buy one. Like said it's like a lottery if it's a good one or not. I sold it on craigslist to the one and only reply I received for $6500.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I tried and tried and tried and tried, well, you get the idea. At best it is a gamble that you can win, but if you lose, it can cost you a bunch. I bought a PCV, autotune, coatings for the pistons, more pistons, monoblock renic, a VR and more. I was convinced that I could fix it. The final straw was when I lost yet another piston and rod bushing that busted the cases. I'll be lucky to get 3k parting out what is left of that POS.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I tried and tried and tried and tried, well, you get the idea. At best it is a gamble that you can win, but if you lose, it can cost you a bunch. I bought a PCV, autotune, coatings for the pistons, more pistons, monoblock renic, a VR and more. I was convinced that I could fix it. The final straw was when I lost yet another piston and rod bushing that busted the cases. I'll be lucky to get 3k parting out what is left of that POS.

This is all to familiar of the posts I read the entire time I owned mine. Thought I'd get lucky and get a good one, and kinda was, but saw first hand where I was headed with my '10 dragon. Lost over $2000 in trading it in with 500 miles on it, and spending another $4000 to get a Pro.

You might be able to polish a turd to shine like chrome, but it's still just a turd. Spend a little more and get a Pro, or buy another 600/700

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010

Out of curiosity where you running OEM pistons or did you ever try aftermarket pistons?

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
This is all to familiar of the posts I read the entire time I owned mine. Thought I'd get lucky and get a good one, and kinda was, but saw first hand where I was headed with my '10 dragon. Lost over $2000 in trading it in with 500 miles on it, and spending another $4000 to get a Pro.

You might be able to polish a turd to shine like chrome, but it's still just a turd. Spend a little more and get a Pro, or buy another 600/700
You'll spend more than a "little more" to get a Pro. You could buy the IQ, run it until the warranty is up, sell it for $2k and still be WAY ahead....

I
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks guys for your comments.
So there is no hope for these- what sled should I be looking at that might perform close to the 2007 600 HO cfi?
I had warranty issues with that sled as well, where my brother purchased it's twin- the next sled made (next number in the vin) and has had 0 issues.
I had intake boot issues meltdowns and many others which is why I let it go.
Please comment.
Thanks

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
My riding buddy has an 08 D7, most of the time he could go everywhere my 8 could go and he also has had zero problems with it. The only time he had trouble following me is when I demo'd a Pro. The problem is finding one for sale that is stock and has low miles.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
You'll spend more than a "little more" to get a Pro. You could buy the IQ, run it until the warranty is up, sell it for $2k and still be WAY ahead....

Yea, he could spend 2-2500 more and find a Pro. Essentially the price of one IQ engine. No brainer.

I
Feb 6, 2011
I know most are saying stay away but I went and looked at it yesterday. Owner said it has had all of the updates and runs great. When he took it in for the updates there were no issues he was just responding to the recall between seasons- no down time. Dealer that did the updates said there was some slight cylinder scratches on the original engine.
I fired it up and it seems to vibrate a little but all seemed great- idles at 1800 rpm. Sled is mint -3900 miles with 1100 miles on the new head and pistons and (owner says) all runs great.
It has 144 studs, tunnel bag, skid plate with cover.
Track is great - no bad lugs or studs.
100% trail ridden
$5100.00 is the asking price but will take $4700.00
Owner has a Rush on snow check through a Polaris employee- friend is an employee there.
Not a scratch on the machine.
Tough to pass up.
If not this machine what others perform like it?
What do you think.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I know most are saying stay away but I went and looked at it yesterday. Owner said it has had all of the updates and runs great. When he took it in for the updates there were no issues he was just responding to the recall between seasons- no down time. Dealer that did the updates said there was some slight cylinder scratches on the original engine.
I fired it up and it seems to vibrate a little but all seemed great- idles at 1800 rpm. Sled is mint -3900 miles with 1100 miles on the new head and pistons and (owner says) all runs great.
It has 144 studs, tunnel bag, skid plate with cover.
Track is great - no bad lugs or studs.
100% trail ridden
$5100.00 is the asking price but will take $4700.00
Owner has a Rush on snow check through a Polaris employee- friend is an employee there.
Not a scratch on the machine.
Tough to pass up.
If not this machine what others perform like it?
What do you think.

If you get it there are a few things that you need to do right off and build into your budget, or don't buy! It needs a new topend! Stock OEM piston are way to sloppy. This is what is causing so many to go down. Look at this. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269999

Put a new topend in it and don't use OEM. A lot have used the "fix" topend kit with success. http://www.pmspolaris.com/thefix.htm
You also need to fuel controller. If you do this you will have a lot better chance of success. If you can't afford to do these then IMO I would not buy.

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
For sure there are alot of diffrent thoughts on this with those sleds. I have two of them and neather one has ever left me anywhere. There is a very small percentage of those sleds that had problems. about 2% of all of them sold if I remember right. Both of my sleds have around 2700 miles on them, and have been very happy to own them.

But one thing for sure, there is no dought that they did have some issues, (something to think about)

GO PRO! LOL

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i wouldnt buy it because i sold a nice m1000 for 4000.
but if you have to buy it and with those miles,id offer $3900.

Premium Features