• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Y Your TNytro Could go up in smoke

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Especially if your a flatlander. Not just TNytro either. Saw something similar to this in an n/a XTX today also. The snow conditions are poor and riding over grass and stubble now allows the track to throw this right into the area below the gas tank via the holes that the pipes pass through into the tunnel. No way to get at this in time if it ever gets dry enough to ignite, and it surely will sooner or later.

IMG00018-20100122-0833.jpg IMG00020-20100122-0833.jpg IMG00021-20100122-0834.jpg IMG00022-20100122-0853.jpg

R
Nov 27, 2009
kinuso
grass fire

seen the same thing. i did not get the fire yet but on my xtx i put 300 km on it before i installed the turbo and there was alot of grass in the same spot
im gonna see if i can do some thing about that did you come up with anything yet let us know

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Lite???

That's the craziest thing i have ever seen. Why would someone ever design something like that. I mean who drinks light beer
Good one!!! I think Conan needs a new writer. I may be the only guy in Sask. that doesn't drink Pil.
As far as a fix for this, I'm sure there are lots of guys out there that can fab something neat and permanent but initially I just used a bit of steel wool to block off the gap around the pipes where they exit the engine compartment. This time around it will be some aluminum tape secured to the pipes and the tunnel.
Did this take a lot of miles? NO. Don't kid yourself, I've only put about 150mi. on in these poor conditions this year and this entire area was spotless at the beginning of the season.
I think we are finally getting some snow that will amount to something and this should not be an issue any longer this year.

J

j_w10

Mar 8, 2009
grass

This same thing happened to me, Riding in sask for one weekend last year snow was not too bad, n/a at the time all it took was riding across a couple of slews at low speed that had some tall grass in em and the compartment had about half that amount in it and charded pretty black when i found it.

S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
Fix

When I had my 09 MTX apart with 0km to install turbo I put some steel wool around pipes, just had a look it didn't last 200km got to hot and burnt my guess but gone, straw and crap in there now. So made a fix today from some 1/8 aluminum left over from cutting in the snow elem boards, didn't give the parts a polish but will do the job, i think a two brunette hair gap will be just right. Why any engineer in their right mind would leave a gap like that.

exhaust fix 001.jpg exhaust fix 002.jpg

Last edited:
T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
Good one!!! I think Conan needs a new writer. I may be the only guy in Sask. that doesn't drink Pil.
As far as a fix for this, I'm sure there are lots of guys out there that can fab something neat and permanent but initially I just used a bit of steel wool to block off the gap around the pipes where they exit the engine compartment. This time around it will be some aluminum tape secured to the pipes and the tunnel.
Did this take a lot of miles? NO. Don't kid yourself, I've only put about 150mi. on in these poor conditions this year and this entire area was spotless at the beginning of the season.
I think we are finally getting some snow that will amount to something and this should not be an issue any longer this year.

your not alone buddy i too.....sniff sniff do not drink pil. i thought i was alone!

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I bet you had a mouse or a small critter about too or already had made a nest. thats way too much crap for being ridden

S
Dec 6, 2009
I also had some fire, the sled was upside down for a while and some of the engine oil leaked out. I drove the sled for a while then noticed a burning oil smell?? I pulled the side pannel off only to notice a glow! Extinguished the fire with snow,and later cleaned out the straw and replaced the heat shield pad.The oil ended up soaking into the heat shield underneath the header....

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
Isnt there a bit of engine flex, and thats why they have the holes like that and the accordian flex on the pipes. Is there a heat silicone that will work with those temps? When were riding and I go into an area where theres some brush or tree's, I can smell burning as well, and find burnt items in there when I do inspections.

Premium Features