• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 700 RMK using a lot of oil

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
It sounds excessive to me. If those oil pumps fail they pump wide open. Beats the hell out of not pumping at all. :face-icon-small-win

R
Oct 18, 2010
Second the adjustment. If the cable is kinked it may also be opening further than necessary. Is the sled running ok? how is the plugs?

The manual for the sled will tell you how it should be adjusted, it should be more like a quart of oil every 100mi or so iirc

W

w browning

Mar 21, 2009
Can anyone explain how a pump that fails pumps wide open? Usually when a pump fails it has excessive clearance due to wear or mechanical failure. This being said the pump is unable to pump when this happens, I have heard many times that these pumps pump excessive oil when they fail. Not really doubting that these do move excessive oil when they fail just wondering how.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
I guess I will be adjusting the arm tomorrow and seeing what happens. I foul plugs if Im not on it hard all the time. Seems to like to run smoky as well.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
The oil pump is like a mini impellor pump. it needs to be rotating to move the oil. That's why you need to check the water pump belt once in a while. If belt breaks, no rotate and no oil.
OK, back to consumption, the arm is a cam that when adjusted, allows more or less oil through the lines. As the throttle position changes, so does the pump arm. More throttle, means the cable pulls the cam open and lets more oil in.
When people say the pump fails, usually there's nothing wrong with the pump, but that it is not turning via the water pump belt. Or if the cable breaks.
You'll notice the arm is spring loaded, so if the cable did slip off, the arm would spin all the way round leaving the pump wide open....full flow.

With the machine off, move the throttle lever and see if the pump lever moves freely along with it. The cable could be frayed inside the cable housing. If ok, check the pump alignment marks. There are scribe marks on the arm and the pump body. They should line up.
You should be burning around 1 qt oil to 10 gal gas.........40/1.
Hopefully that all makes sense.:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features