• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for a way to ditch the efi on a 08 poo 800 motor.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
As the title states, my friend has got an 08 800 motor out of a dragon in his tube chassis that we are thinking of converting to propane so he can up the boost this year on cheap fuel. 1 thing he is NOT fond of is the giant jumble of wiring and boxes for everything.

the question is would it be possible to just ditch the stuff and get parts out of and old carb'y and simplify things?? we know we can just unhook the injectors and add propane and it works just fine, just trying to clean up and simplify things.:boxing:

give me some ideas, if we could clean up the electronics, the propane system is insane clean/simple, so it would just make it was better underhood.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Guys doing 800 monoblock conversions of newer IQRs have already done what you're trying to do so far as the carbs and electronics are concerned. Basic dimensions of the 800 are the same as the last of the carbureted IQ 600s, so the air intake system and carb flanges from one of those should be useable.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i don't have a turbo myself, but i would think eliminating the efi and going to carbs with a turbo would be causing more problems than it would solve. good luck

pv

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i don't have a turbo myself, but i would think eliminating the efi and going to carbs with a turbo would be causing more problems than it would solve. good luck

pv
i would argue with that one all on its own, but we arent going to carbs, were going to propane. MUCH simpler, and we would still be running the throttle bodies, just wanted to simplify the electrical cluster f--k thats currently under the hood as the propane system is simple and clean, also, with unhooking all the injectors and such, you dont want the timing going into a limp mode and freaking out, you just want to get a tps signal and rpm to make timing curves, thats all, no injector junk, etc. stupid simple.

does anyone know which ignition or such would work??

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
gotcha, misunderstood the original post. you are well beyond my knowledge base with propane. if it works, it sounds cool. good luck.

pv

R

rmkray

Nov 26, 2007
Albert lea Minnesota
I would think a flywheel, stator and cdi off a carb iq six would work. You may have to get the the cdi reflashed for the 800. I think the timing my be a litte hot for the 8, but with propane it might not matter. And the factory dash should still work.

Premium Features