• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Over the engine Steering for an IQ

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Who makes a ProRide style Over The Engine steering set up I could put on my IQ's

This is one of the best ideas I have seen in years.

Anyone done any engineering on this for the 05-10 IQ's ?

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Pro Ride Parts

Went out to Babbits, looked at the 2011 Pro Ride componets to make this happen. Didn't look to expensive.

I will do some measuring on this. Biggest issue is the diffrence between the location of the bottom Bell Crank.

I will keep this thread going because I believe one of the main reasons the Pro Ride feels so diffrent is becasue you are not wrestling with the cork screw steering system the IQ has on it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Matt, cant make every good topic a sticky... but we can add it to the list of great topics in THAT sticky.

Before the 900 people start wondering about it... the PRO steering will not work on that chassis... I've already looked into it in depth. The pitman arm/tube would be directly in line with the PTO side throttle body inlet.

On the IQ Small blocks... this steering would be great as the action is more natural with the steering post not "canted" to the side... you actully turn the bars rather than swinging them thru an arc...a much more intuitive/ergo way to ride...

The PRO chassis steering leaves the rider in basically the same fore/aft position

This is indeed one of the 3 main improvements in the Pro Chassis over the dragon
1) Sled width
2)Steering mechanism action
3)Rear suspension.

Sure there are other improvements such as weight and rigidity of the chassis.. but... IMO.. the above 3 make the biggest diff.

Some of the Hill Climb Racers ran over the engine steering on their IQ-RMKs which basically converted them to a quasi-IQR steering system with the severely canted steering post....

It also moved the rider position fwd about 6" (in this NON-Pro chassis style RMSHA racer "IQR" configuration, which has some plusses and many minuses on this chassis IMO.

If done right, you can get the benefit of the mechanism action of the Pro with a little weight loss. The airbox will probably need to be modded as well...but if you are turbo... not a big deal unless you run an intercooler.

Last edited:
Premium Features