• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thought on paying for memberships.

R
Nov 26, 2007
East Chester Idaho
Hang tight...this is getting fixed! I know things are crazy but there are good things on the horizon. Its constuctive critisism that helps move things the right direction and all these comments are read. I hope you guys dont think the mods dont listen because we do. You guys know who we are and we share the same views. We want good things and are trying to represent the forum members and there views as well, try not to beat us up.

Wasn't trying to poke a stick in your eye Himark, I'm not happy with the way Christopher manipulates things to accomplish his agenda. We wouldn't need $30,000 worth of new stuff if he'd quit wiring in all the bells and whistles that most of us don't care about anyway. I've had to pull back on some things I thought were cool because others around me voted it off the island, why can't he?

If a site with 30,000 members and as many lurkers can't support itself with advertising, maybe it's because they don't listen to their advertisers like they don't listen to their members. I spent thousands this year at Harris' place (Falls Printing) and they did a good job, if they're not making ends meet then they should charge a little more for goods and services and not spend money on creating a 4m site with tons of useless bling. If I were Mr. Harris, I'd take Christopher aside and tell him: Look, this isn't working, they don't like you but they could really use this kind of stuff over at TEEN magazine.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Montana Creek AK
oh yeah by the way, 10 bucks means nothing to most on here, It is the idea of having yet another entity shove their Ideas with said price tag down the majorities throat.... yes Chris, this may be your Sparta!!! and yes I am now interested to hear of your current and past sleds, years in the snow, greasy frozen cut finger stories etc. I would hate to hear that someone that has no background in this sport knows what is best for us!!!:rolleyes:

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
The problem is good things may be coming but with a pay system like is now going to be in place you are going to lose a lot of valuable information with the exit of people and the less info the more people you will lose. Eventually it will be nothing and that is too bad. I am sure there are other options, but it seems that there is no one to listen. I have read lots of ideas about this subject and I think several would work great, but I don't think the ideas are getting through to christopher. I am not in his shoes, but I honestly believe this site will suffer from this paid system.

Just my thoughts.

100% correct! The cost is not the problem to those of us who are on here every day, but the loss of a lot of members who won't pay will ruin SW. Everyone has experiences and info to contribute and it is that database which makes the site. When numbers drop and advertisers bail the whole thing will be over.

This will also have an impact on after market companies. I think alot of people including myself make MOD purchases based almost soley on the feedback from this site.

Has it ever been considered to place a fee on swapmeet item instead? I would gladdly pay $5 to list a sled (as long as it didn't get bumped to the third page after the first 4 hours). It costs more than that to put it in the paper and be seen by far less people.

W

Wolfrun

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Lander Wy
I didn't like at all the breaking every thing up, for instance the fouled plug. Now neither fouled plug or politics are worth a crap because there not enough people on either and still don' know what the comfort zone or what ever it is called is all about. Listen to the folks a little more. there were only one or two who wanted to break off the political section. Don't be an Obama!

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
I felt the same way until I saw/heard about what SnoWest admin is doing to anyone that types in BxCxR (w/o the x's). What is so bad about that? SnoWest admin and the moderation on this site is straight f'd up.

It's wrong to make a big stink about how you hate a place, and then try to rally up the rest of the people to your own forum, while at the same time trying to drag snowest threw the mud.

If you're unhappy just go. Trying to promote your own competitive forum by using snowest as an outlet to siphon off it's member base is in poor moral standings.. which is why it was censored.

Would you go into a busy store trash the place then hold up a sign that says this place sucks lets all go to the competitors store down the way. That's exactly what these people are doing.

The users that are acting like children and making a huge overblown deal out of everything are both the cause, and reason this place is in such chaos. If you showed a little dignity and just left on your own accord instead of trying to bait admins into banning you so you can earn your bragging right when you go to the next forum. Then all those who have gripes against snowest would be gone, and the rest of us can go on to chatting about sleds.. Take alook at all these threads that keep popping up it's by the same people. If it's so bad why do they feel the need to hang around and post the same topic 50 times over for days on end.. Just log off and go!

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
I don't have a problem with paying. We will get alot more then we do now.
Just add up what it would be to have to buy past issues of two magezines?
your looking at 10 bucks a piece. Plus Shipping and Handleing.
I would gladly pay 15$ bucks to have access to past issues. Plus we will get HOW-TO-VIDEOS. That we can submit. That is just awesome. That will cut your cost of having to take it to a dealer. (Come in watch the video step by step go out and do it). Thats awesome.
I think it is a hell of a deal. Plus I spend less time searching for what I am looking for. If It was one big forum split into 4-6 subs you would have to spend alot of time searching. As it is now. I spend less then 20 seconds searching for what I am looking for.
Thanks
Jeff

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Why dont one of you all start a new forum / website?

Yep!.....and I guarantee the very first consideration is "who's going to pay for it??"
Sort of like a toll highway, the fairest method to pay is by those that use and benefit from its existence....in this case the advertisers and users.
Some say it should be 100% advertisers.....I would agree if the only section on here was the aftermarket catalog. Why should advertisers pay for us to chat about our rides and do silly max threads? JMHO- :beer;

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
No you are right. They should not have to carry the burden for people talking about everything but sledding. I'm a mod but I am still going to pay. Plus part of it goes to helping out non profit clubs. Heck wish the NRA was on their list.

C

crashleroux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO but they shipped me to Pocatello
It's wrong to make a big stink about how you hate a place, and then try to rally up the rest of the people to your own forum, while at the same time trying to drag snowest threw the mud.

If you're unhappy just go. Trying to promote your own competitive forum by using snowest as an outlet to siphon off it's member base is in poor moral standings.. which is why it was censored.

Would you go into a busy store trash the place then hold up a sign that says this place sucks lets all go to the competitors store down the way. That's exactly what these people are doing.

The users that are acting like children and making a huge overblown deal out of everything are both the cause, and reason this place is in such chaos. If you showed a little dignity and just left on your own accord instead of trying to bait admins into banning you so you can earn your bragging right when you go to the next forum. Then all those who have gripes against snowest would be gone, and the rest of us can go on to chatting about sleds.. Take alook at all these threads that keep popping up it's by the same people. If it's so bad why do they feel the need to hang around and post the same topic 50 times over for days on end.. Just log off and go!

Brahm I have put the name of the other site on here, not to try and promote it, more to try and get as many people on the same "different" forum as possible. As i've read in a lot of these types of different threads one of the problems with paying for snowest is that there are a lot of people that will not pay just simply because they don't use it a lot. And that is the greatest thing with snowest is that this is the largest forum of sledders so whatever you need there is always someone to answer. If you break the 30,000 members up between 4 or 5 different other forums you loose that vastness of knowledge.

I have not badmouthed snowest other than about the joke of changing b.c.r. to snowest because I will be paying to stay here but still like to chat with the same group of guys so it would be nice if there were all in the same place.

W

Wolfrun

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Lander Wy
I can't forget that 3 years ago snowest tipped my real name to the Wy State Trails boss. When I intimated in a thread that they weren't doing there job (they weren't) I immediately got a damn nasty E mail from State Trails on my regular E mail account and I wont forget it. Trails won't either.
Another thing. no one would ever answer me about why the political section didn't have the "thank you item" any more . I figured us political talkers must not measure up. Truthfully If we didn't have such a dipchit president, I wouldn't be a political talker. I'll bet 10 dollars this gets moved.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Here is some food for thought. a year or 2 ago snowmobile fanatics somewhat went throught the same thing that snowest is going through. Lots of members and hardware needs to be upgraded and such. Well snowmobile fanatics did upgrade their hardware and donations were being accepted to help pay for the servers, there was no delays, no major changes that everyone hates, Well in my mind snowmobilefanatics is one of the most streamlined snowmobile forums. the site looks good, its fast and easy to navigate. and guess what.........theres no membership fees or anything. How is snowest any different?

by the way snowmobile fanatics is run by one guy who just runs the site in his SPARE TIME, he does not collect a pay check from any publishers. any money the site needs is made from selling advertisement banners.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Here is some food for thought. a year or 2 ago snowmobile fanatics somewhat went throught the same thing that snowest is going through. Lots of members and hardware needs to be upgraded and such. Well snowmobile fanatics did upgrade their hardware and donations were being accepted to help pay for the servers, there was no delays, no major changes that everyone hates, Well in my mind snowmobilefanatics is one of the most streamlined snowmobile forums. the site looks good, its fast and easy to navigate. and guess what.........theres no membership fees or anything. How is snowest any different?

by the way snowmobile fanatics is run by one guy who just runs the site in his SPARE TIME, he does not collect a pay check from any publishers. any money the site needs is made from selling advertisement banners.

That's the difference between a fan site, and one run by a business. 1 word, overhead

M

MPS

Don't throw common sense at them....their heads will start smoking!

Oh ya....they want to make SW Forum their cash cow....that is how SW is different bro....plain and simple. They will deny deny deny and deny this.

Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
Kinda reminds me of when I use to work for MSN as a IRC systems operator. We had 12 chat servers that the world....WORLD chatted on. Chatted on for FREE mind you. MSN decided it would be better to upgrade to a web based chat giving everyone all these fancy things no one really wanted and start charging everyone.
Guess where MSN chat is now these days?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Montana Creek AK
Here's a post from another area

and

But,I can't believe people are whining and complaining about 10-15bucks a year......3-4 cents a day?????? Give me a break, if everyone spent as much time on this forum complaining and writing their opinions to the government of our rights to use publec land, we'd all be better off.

This place is getting worse, but it's not the forum, its all the baby whiners!!! Enough already!:mad:
really?? come on you have to be more intelligent than that. you are one that will let big brother lead you around on a nose ring, it has been stated that ten bucks means nothing, it is the point to come in here and suddenly think we need all this hoopla and then to charge for it that has everyone in a knot. If it truly was over ten bucks then You would see little opposition but the facts are the facts. We suddenly need all these bells and whistles and , oh yeah, that will cost you 10 bucks. I still belive that later it will be something else and that will be x amount more. Liberal mind set, I likel, you pay!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Montana Creek AK
Show me where they have polled the members to find what we like and don't like. we liked it the way it was, simple and cheap, you cannot argue with this. All of a sudden we need " my crappy face" type bells and whistles even though the majority says no!!
The few telling the majority what it needs and trying to force the cost on to them. B C R is like the old forum was, free , informative and fun. we are a family again. Moderators can erase this but the truth will set you free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Premium Features