• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will a 99 PS 600 motor fit in a 2001?

S
Dec 12, 2007
Leduc Alberta Canada
Ive found a 2001 Arctic cat 600 efi zr that has motor problems. I was wondering how hard and if my 1999 Arctic Cat 600 Powder special efi will fit and what I would need to swap to get it to work? My old chassis is tired and needs alot of work but the motor is strong so looking for an alternative to dumping it.

THanks

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I know the ZR bulkheads are very close if not identical from 98-2001

Back in 2001 I updated all the plastic on my Black 98 ZR to the newer more aggressive ZR3 style and everything bolted up perfectly

I would say your motor will fit, and might even retain the same motor mounts. You should have very little problems with this, and since it is EFI to EFI the fuel tank will work as well.

This is actually a pretty cool project!

John

S
Dec 12, 2007
Leduc Alberta Canada
Thanks for the info John, its good to know the ZR2 plastic can be swappaed out for ZR3 stuff as its very hard to find a hood for my sled.

Ive seen a 01 and a 03 that both have bad motors, hopefully can pick something up to get this going before the snow starts to fly.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'll second that the ZR/ZL/ZRT/T-cat bulkheads from '98 (twins, '99 triples) through 2003 are the same. They may have different holes drilled out, but the geometry is the same. Starting in '01, the mountain cat bulkheads have the jackshaft/chaincase in a different location and you'd need a different jackshaft motor mount. That's still the only difference though. All ZR2, ZR3 and ZRT2 plastic will interchange (as well as a couple others, but they are harder to come by...)

What is wrong with the newer engine? If it's just bottom end stuff, you could keep the newer top end with the exhaust valves and use the newer ignition.

Premium Features