• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check This Out

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Hey! give us old men a break! you ever packed an elk out 5 miles through rugged timbered terrain without a trail? That's what motorized vehicles are for :D If I had the bucks I'd stable some horses and leave the truck at home. Our public lands should be for everyones use, not just those who are young and fit. No, maybe not all of it, but these groups are taking all the best areas from us. I'm no couch potato and I'll put on 10 miles a day elk hunting, but it's not the same as when I wasn't in my 40's. You'll find out, but in the meantime, keep an open mind and be charitable to those who don't have what you have. That's what this is all about after all, keeping public lands for the PUBLIC, not just a few.

Even if your a biker, don't be fooled. The road-less rules are nothing short of de-facto wilderness legislation and could easily lead to full Wilderness legislation later on. From a snowmobiling perspective the road-less-rule does not specifically prohibit motorized vehicles and riding in these areas is allowed. However, I believe this is a loop-hole that will “somehow” be tidied up at some point in the future. Look at the flattops, it just went road-less and already it’s on their agenda to become wilderness. I’m not against having areas that are in pristine condition, kept in pristine condition via the wilderness act, but I believe we already designated everything that even remotely meets that definition 20 years ago.

The spirit and intent of the act has been abused to the point of ludicracy and it will only get worse unless we really get together and take them to task. The stinky truth is that these people really hate motorized use in places they frequent because it burns their joint when a sled climbs up and down a mountain a dozen times, what it took them all day to ski once. They fundamentally don’t want us to have our fun because they perceive that it takes away from the “specialness” of what they consider a great accomplishment. All this crap is based in petty jealousy and has very little to do with “saving precious mother earth”. They just want to extend the wilderness to right outside town because 99.9% of them don't have the stones to get more than a mile from the road.
If anything they ought to think about opening up the remote wilderness to sledders and make the area next to the roads for skiers. Then they can have their precious "1 mile from the road zone" you generally see them in and we could disappear into all that vast uslelessness area and not be heard from:D

Last edited:
B
Jan 18, 2008
Western Slope, CO
After listening to Gov. Palin's address I have to say AWESOME
How can you not be inspired to vote for her!
Now if we could just elect some more like minded folks into the senate and congress we might have a chance to keep areas open for multiple use, rather than have a situation like in Europe where only the very wealthy have access to any kind of open space because it is all private! I know we are beating that same horse again (not literally). :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features