• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with 07" M8 Locked Up

B
Jan 9, 2017
new to posting here but i've always used this forum as a great learning tool. Ok just bought a new 2007 M8 153" Speedwerx pipe stock can, frogskins and intake kit nothing crazy. its only got 1,300 miles on it and today about 2 hrs in my first ride in driving and i'm hearing a whining noise then it stops. In the first 5 mins or riding i saw the wrench light come on and off for mabe 5sec then never came back on. Power was deep and plentyful and temps mid 20's. I hoped it was just a belt, nope and then the clutch on the right(primary i believe, i have all my stuff worked on so no to mech knowledgeable) came right off. So first i thought maybe just the allen bolt just came out, i did but it broke off. Then we go to tow it home and i noticed the track was locked up. engine runs fine and dandy. So i brought it back tipped it on its side to see if i could move the track and it only moved back in forth a lil bit. I unbolted the DD fluid bolt on the bottom and it has no oil came dripping out. Should it have leaked out some? Basically i think its done for the trip and just trying to assess the $ damage. But i just wanting to know anything i should check before i pay a dealer to replace $$. I read some maybe fulling thawing it out, brakes? Thanks in advance to any help here
brian

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Hard to read your post but sounds like your Diamond Drive is toast, most likely cause why your track won't spin. I would guess the whining noise you heard was the belt. Was it the front or rear clutch that came off?

B
Jan 9, 2017
it was the rear clutch that came off. i also saw some orange sealant around the DD cover. based on that does that mean at some point the case was taken off, and that it does not come from the factory with visible orange sealant? also note the reverse did not work before the guy thought it was a bad switch.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
If you didn't have any oil come out of the diamond drive that is a huge problem. Sounds like they forgot to fill it after opening it up to inspect it. Should have had about 12 oz of oil come out of that thing.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I would replace it with a diamond lite drive if you can still get one from speed shop inc, you will lose reverse but gain dependability. That is if you toasted your drive.

Premium Features