• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track tension

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I just put on new hyfaxes and a 2 wheel kit on my sled. I tensioned the track back to where it was(I marked the bolts), but now it seems a bit tight. When I roll the track, there's a hesitation point....feels like its up front.

Do I need to smooth out the hyfax / rail connection where it meets the rounded cap on the front?
The track seems a bit tight up at the front, with sled and suspension hanging, the hyfax is tight to the rail up there. Right now there's about 1.5" of slack in the middle of the track now, while hanging with suspension off the floor.

Whats the general rule of thumb in track tension?

Last edited:
D
Sep 19, 2005
Yeah...you could be catching where your new hifax and the rail tip caps meet. Just use a rasp and file it down till it's flush.
Not sure what sled you have but looking at your avatar it's an IQ chassis...should have about 1.25 to 1.5 inches of slack in the track 16 inches ahead of the rear axle with 10lbs of weight applied to the track in that spot.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Yeah...you could be catching where your new hifax and the rail tip caps meet. Just use a rasp and file it down till it's flush.
Not sure what sled you have but looking at your avatar it's an IQ chassis...should have about 1.25 to 1.5 inches of slack in the track 16 inches ahead of the rear axle with 10lbs of weight applied to the track in that spot.

uh my book says 3/8"-1/2" 16 inches in from the middle of the rear wheel

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

you are correct..

this is the correct measurement and amount of sag needed...

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Yup, our tracks need to be really tight to keep from racheting. As long as your track does not ratchet on you, your good:beer;

Premium Features