• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine code 173-3

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
17 axys 800. I replaced the pipe temp sensor about 3 weeks ago and have ridden a few times. When it went bad the check engine light was on and it would not rev past 6k ish....replaced and had dealer clear the codes.

Sled has 1500 miles on it.

As of last weekend and today Check engine light is on again but goes off when at 3/4 or full throttle then turns back on. Sled is running great. Just the light on and off
I checked the connections and they appear good.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
173 is a change with voltage. Have you installed a pipe or bumper? Has the dealer helped you?

Figured it out
f792b27fc3e5dddaf824d73f8a73feb5.jpg

6678b347703ac0610e91dc0e780733e3.jpg

Now to find a way to fix this. No damage to the front of the bumper so I'm curious to how these connections broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I don't follow. I don't see any broken electrical connections in the pics. And what does the broken bumper mount tab have to do with this?

The aluminum tabs that the front bumper attaches to. Also has a ground terminal that utilizes that tab as well.

They are broke off from the over structure in the pictures.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I always re-locate that ground wire from the bumper tab. I dont know why polaris put it there in the first place, or keeps leaving it there year after year when they know these tabs break off very easy.

FYI.... there are several options out there to repair the broken tabs. Carls Cycle sells a couple versions and there are others too.

Premium Features