• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Install a temp guage

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have gotten along just fine with the bar temp and stock scratchers through a low-snow season. I would look at the degree display when I got up to 4 bars, and every time it was no issue, and never went over 4 bars. Riding with a bunch of Polarises, the Skidoo shined on temp control while the Poos had to pile snow on the tunnel, etc.

However, Donbrown brings up a pet peeve of mine-- the sequence and allowed parameters on the dual gauge. I would like to find out if anyone has managed to reprogram the gauge. I would like RPM and mileage displayed at the same time and to skip the flipping of MPH and RPM- it doesn't help me to see MPH/RPM and then the useful one-- RPM/MPh- ; Donbrown wants RPM and temperature. Any jailbreak?

To go one further, I haven't found a tenth of a mile odometer display. That would be really nice when trying to locate intersections and landmarks. Any one help with that?

You know for the FEW dollars they could allow a programmable screen.

Most manufacturers want to keep the software proprietory thinking it keeps sledders go back to the dealer. I'm 100's of miles from the nearest dealer!

BUT think of the aftermarket products SKIDOO could sell if they opened up letting riders manage whats on the screen.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I've pretty much given up on all the gauge functions except the last one with numeric engine temp and miles per hour. To start with I have a really hard time reading the darned thing. I think the most useful would be to have the elevation and engine temp on the same screen and forget the rest. I don't know who designed the gauge but they didn't do anybody any favors.

There my rant is over but then so is riding for the season.
We're not getting any younger !

I'd purchase a larger screen ... better yet a screen users can program the colors of the screen !!!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Okay here ya sled manufacturers.

User selected multi color display. .... Less than $10 mfg cost for the screen provided.

Ya got the bigger $99 glove compartment to put a $800 :face-icon-small-sho GPS unit on it.

How about wifi from the sled so we can put a smartphone on the sled with a display.

Or even coordinate the sleds parameters and map it on a terrain map?

An HDMI or some adapter to the existing service plug BUT would think it might introduce H2O

Maybe go crazy and do a HUD for the helmet? Do yourself a favor source it out to several companies and see who makes the best one for a season AND then make it proprietary for next years model.

I'm sure marketing is into this ... Polaris did some BUT charged WAY TOO MUCH for $40 in materials and off the self 1980's technology

I got an 20yr old truck and my kids get a kick out of changing the screen colors on the newer $80 radio and linking phones up to it to play music and have the screen change colors with the music !

How about a screen where there are (downloadable) pictures programmed by the user when certain operating parameters are reached. Like a red hot word with flames when the engine is warm. OR flashing ready to go when the engine is warmed up , or a smile when backing from 8 thou plus RPM ! Or even at startup display a picture / name or phrase !

Ya know being in SOCAL kids do this here to their cars / phones / computer games ... most any screen they can jack into and it takes them little time to do it.

How about all of the mfg's get together and have a standardized interface like the computer industry has??? Or even a standardized GPS site . Sorry guys went to LA LA land on this line.

Last edited:
Premium Features