• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Belt Options

U
Nov 26, 2007
Looking for options other than the $200 OEM option for a 2016 axys 800 155"

Before you tell me to use the search function I did and saw some info but thought i'd ask again to solicit any new ideas.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Oem is your cheapest option. And only option unless you want to buy a aftermarket belt drive kit.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
If your asking about the QD belt, there is no other option...

The belt is a specific Polaris design and patented.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
We have had excellent luck with the Ultimax XS belts.
The fit correctly, and perform excellent.

We have them in stock for only $114.95.

They even come with a 1 year warranty.

www.bd-xtreme.com

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Lots of people rave about the gates carbon belt. I picked one up, broke it in properly, and then destroyed it, all in about 200 miles. Since then I have discovered this is not uncommon. I would not buy another. Great belt otherwise.

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
Lots of people rave about the gates carbon belt. I picked one up, broke it in properly, and then destroyed it, all in about 200 miles. Since then I have discovered this is not uncommon. I would not buy another. Great belt otherwise.

I was not impressed w/ the Gates belt, it seemed too hard to grip the clutches. Gained 200 RPM's and you could feel the sled just rev up but not pull. It is currently my spare.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I was not impressed w/ the Gates belt, it seemed too hard to grip the clutches. Gained 200 RPM's and you could feel the sled just rev up but not pull. It is currently my spare.

That’s why they make Chevy, Dodge, and Ford.:face-icon-small-hap

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
i wish they made a cheaper alternative for the stupid QD belt...oh well I guess we have to wait 7 years til the patent is up.

the skidoo shot start patent will be over by then too

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
i wish they made a cheaper alternative for the stupid QD belt...oh well I guess we have to wait 7 years til the patent is up.

So not cheaper but maybe a TKI drive can be easily justified. Here is how.

A Polaris Quickdrive belt is $200+ and the clutch belt is about the same. Now you will need a spare Quickdrive belt and you are up to $600+

With the tall stock gearing you will eat up clutch belts if you ride hard so at least 2 belts per season. With the gear down only 1.

Now do the math and you will see the kit gets paid for quickly.

And you can sell it or move it from sled to sled when you upgrade.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Gates Carbon belt (45C4553)
I found this belt is hard to adjust deflection with. It seems to stretch when warmed and run loose, slip. I find my self adjusting deflection way more than the OEM belt. And setting it up initially much tighter.

Great as a spare, and if the adjustment problems don't bother you, no worries.

200 miles on it, great shape otherwise.

550 miles on the OEM belt, gates is now my spare.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Tried the gates carbon on my 17 axys sidekick. Performance is way better than the Polaris belt. Holds rpms Rick solid, my Polaris belt rpms are all over the place. Both belts last me about 250 miles, which I my mind ain’t bad for a turbo sled getting bearing in deep powder every ride. For almost half the price I’ll go with the gates any day.!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

No patent on the belt...The 11mm pitch is common in other applications including powersports.. it is a stronger toothed belt with its 11mm wide teeth... aftermarket get the 8mm belts and systems tend to work well because the tensioner, close to the top sprocket, can more 'wrap' around the top sprocket for more tooth engagement... so the offset in tooth shear resistance is minimized.... and the ability to set the tension more optimally (or not if you don't do it right :face-icon-small-win)

Others are free to order/offer this belt factory ProRmk 11mm pitch in the correct tooth-count & width from Gates... but there are minimums that come into play and lots of overhead cost.

The factory design QuickDrive™ system in the AXYS sleds has proven to be robust and and is the lightest weight of all belt drive systems.
Even the guys with turbos are getting great life from these belts.

Cliff hucker and other extreme riders do occasionally strip belts...even aftermarket drives though...but those are truly outliers from the norm.

Belts wear, chanins wear, sprockets wear, bearings wear... all are reasons for secondary drive belt failures too.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If your asking about the QD belt, there is no other option...

The belt is a specific Polaris design and patented.

I disagree with your choice of verbiage. The G2 tooth profile and 11mm pitch is reserved by Gates to be Licensed to manufactures. As far as the belt goes Gates is the patent holder. Polaris may hold patents on the pulleys and other peripherals but that's it.

But it looks like they are referring to the primary drive belt not the QD belt drive anyways.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
As for the CLUTCH belt... I've also had very good luck with the Gates carbon.... personally and with others sleds I've installed the Gates carbon belt into.

I will say that the Factory Mitsuboshi belts are more "nuke proof" than the Gates... but If you are "nuking" your belts... something else is wrong and you are only masking the cause and loosing performance.

Let me make this clear first... I am NOT saying that anyone posting in this thread is, or is not doing these things below.... It is a general observation of mine over the years..for all brands of belts and different sleds.

From my experience, many people don't take the time to
1) Order the correct belt (the axys and ProRide are different as is flatland/mtn)...
2) Clean their clutches and look for existing issues, clutch and motor mounting) that blew the belt in the first place
3) Repair any issues found
4) Wash/scrub the new belt before installing
5) Take the time to set the belt to the proper deflection.

Do NOT confuse the method used by many to set deflection by looking at how far above the primary the belt sits...
THIS IS NOT SETTING THE DEFLECTION !

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I have also had good success with the Gates Carbon. I get about the same life as OEM 1183 with less heat fade at 1/2 the cost + 1 year warranty included. I've put about 3,500 miles on the Gates Carbon in the last two years and have not had one blow up yet.

Premium Features