• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mid range sputtering on friends stock Axys

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I’m up at Togwotee for a couple weeks and my friend Lefty has two sleds. His stock sled (just a can) is sputtering “occasionally” in the mid range. Good compression, Good plugs, I just changed his relays with some new ones I had. He has a new exhaust cable (last one broke). The dealer reset the valves and cleaned them. I’m on vacation riding without my race trailer and tools. Yes I feel naked without my tools. So I’m limited on what I can check and do up here. It runs great at low end and top end.
Exhaust valve problem? Dealer had digital wrench on it with no codes.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Read a few guys here now throwing the stock can back on and the issue is going away. . Maybe some cans are wearing out and changing back pressure? Or how many miles on with can running fine? Just an idea. . That would be up high on my to try list

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I had an issue with mine last year with the sled running weird and not pulling rpm. Turned out the pipe wasn't sealing properly and wasn't building enough heat. I kept putting copper rtv on it until the end of the season. This season I changed the donuts, put on new springs and more rtv and have not had a problem since. Tell Joe I said hi!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m up at Togwotee for a couple weeks and my friend Lefty has two sleds. His stock sled (just a can) is sputtering “occasionally” in the mid range. Good compression, Good plugs, I just changed his relays with some new ones I had. He has a new exhaust cable (last one broke). The dealer reset the valves and cleaned them. I’m on vacation riding without my race trailer and tools. Yes I feel naked without my tools. So I’m limited on what I can check and do up here. It runs great at low end and top end.
Exhaust valve problem? Dealer had digital wrench on it with no codes.

Throttle safety switch?
And or loose throttle cable?

Polaris tether? Unplug it?

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
I also had an exhaust leak between my y-pipe and pipe that showed up as similar symptoms as you are describing. When you mess with the exhaust (like installing a can) you have to be very careful not to nick the gaskets. Especially any on-off throttle mid range over bumps or when the sled was laid over the loss of power showed up. Replaced exhaust donut and the problem went away. Good luck.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Thanks for all the options. Runs the same with the stock can. Donut is good. RTV on the joints. He does have his tss bypassed because he runs a custom throttle and brake on the right grip. Tonight we found the wire harness was worn near the coolant line. Liquid electric tape and rubber hose over it temporarily. Runs excellent except from 5850 to 6050rpm. Could it be One of the stages of the exhaust valve??

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Would be interesting to use an analog meter and do a sweep on test on the tps.

Premium Features