• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New shocks & sled won't hold a side hill.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
So after close to 3 seasons the WE Monos one of the front ski shocks blew out. So I took some tax refund money & bought Fox 1.5 Zero QS3's. Installed them with same sag/ride height settings as stockers. Mind you I loved the way the sled handled the steeps/sidehilling with the WE's. First day out & on the trail the Fox's were amazing but the front springs felt very soft. Added two turns of preload & seemed better. Now the first side hill was a nightmare. Sled feels all sorts of wrong. It immediately wants to nose up the hill & trench. I can have my foot all the way forward & makes no difference. It refuses to sidehill straight across the mountain side. I've not made any further adjustments & about to send out my WE's to get rebuilt & install those back on. Very frustrated.

FYI I'm on a 16 RMK 155 with a 2.6 & weigh 160lbs

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
And Zeroed the Rebound ???
Try maxing The rebound out and see if it holds it .

BTW my Fox shox have about 20 clicks 2 seems pretty mild ! Is the snow soft ? Set up snow is a nightmare if you change settings or parts you were already used to !!

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI

BTW my Fox shox have about 20 clicks 2 seems pretty mild ! Is the snow soft ? Set up snow is a nightmare if you change settings or parts you were already used to !!

Rebound is in middle of adjustment. First day out was setup snow & other two days had about 2 inches of fresh on top of firm snow. I am wondering if the front of the sled is to high. I hated the super soft feel of the front springs so had to add 3 turns on the preload collar above the stock right height setting I had with the W.E.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

I wouldn't "zero" the rebound. Leave it near the middle for now.

What you are describing is 100% a ride height issue. The IFS shocks are riding too high. if it makes you feel any better, I had the exact same problem with my Fox 1.5s on my G4.

You *need* the ride height to be close to the same or you need to make other adjustments to get the sled to ride the same. If you get the ride height where you want and the shock is too soft, either you need to revalve firmer or you need to go to a firmer spring rate. Or both. Fox should help you with this.

One option for you is to put the WEs springs on. (I think they'll fit) On paper, this makes no sense (as I'm fairly certain the Fox springs are the same rate as the WEs) but this will assure your spring rate is the same, and sag is the same. (measure the amount of preload on the spring before you do this)

Compression setting is not going to effect what you are describing. It will effect trail riding, how the shock responds to a bump, how the shock takes a big compression ("g out")

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Thank you for the help JJ_0909. Going to try the stock front springs on the Foxs & see if I can get it back to were I liked it before the change. Pretty frustrating that even with the blown W.E shock I had no problems sidehilling all weekend but with $2K worth of suspension I have managed to turn it into a turd LOL. When people say its all in the setup they truly are correct! Wish I had sent my W.E to get rebuilt & called it a day.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Thank you for the help JJ_0909. Going to try the stock front springs on the Foxs & see if I can get it back to were I liked it before the change. Pretty frustrating that even with the blown W.E shock I had no problems sidehilling all weekend but with $2K worth of suspension I have managed to turn it into a turd LOL. When people say its all in the setup they truly are correct! Wish I had sent my W.E to get rebuilt & called it a day.
Trade ya for some revalved WE shocks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Premium Features