• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High Idle, Dark Plugs

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
I have a spare TPS in the garage I'd be willing to let go. Test them fully though before you make any conclusions. OHM the TPS out and make sure you see it run through the full range without it jumping. I had an erratic idle when I first bought my switchback 900 and it ended up being a bad stator. Last year the erratic idle came back but was no where near as bad and it ended up being a dirty injector and it leaned it out pretty badly to where I melted the piston :Cry:

Were you able to test the stator and see it was bad? Last February I tested mine and everything was within the FSM specs.

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
I found a set of throttle bodies on fleabay...the guy says the TPS has only 60 miles on it and didn't have any flaws with the sled. I bought it for $52!!!! I'll try that out to see if my problem vanishes!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
TrailRebel any report back to your issue?

I'm almost identical issue as well but had to tow my POS back to the truck today after a whole 1 mile ride and it wouldn't stay running..ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
TrailRebel any report back to your issue?

I'm almost identical issue as well but had to tow my POS back to the truck today after a whole 1 mile ride and it wouldn't stay running..ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guido, just last Monday I took it to yet another dealer...they haven't come up with anything yet, but they are speculating something in the "fuel control circuit". I'm really hoping they can find something, this is getting anoying!!!

I replaced the TPS with a known good unit and rebuilt the set of throttle bodies off of fleabay, to no avail.

I'll keep this post up to date when I hear anything

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
One thing to check is the oil pump cable. The 900 was notorious for the cable not returning and the oil pump stuck wide open. A good cleaning with carb cleaner helped. There is a port machined into the cable bend, down at the pump, that gets plugged with oil and belt dust.

Premium Features