• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Light compact snowmobile

zx4ever

Lifetime Membership
Jun 6, 2011
Northern Bc. Canada
Let me be the first to say. Those 2 sleds are awesome. I bet they just float in the deep stuff. I could not tell in the picture what the weight was.

B
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks!
The Small-Doo X weight 281 lb. Wet.
Their rear suspension is designed for a good transfer, just back a little backwards and there is virtually no weight on the skis.

They do not climb as much as a mountain snowmobile, but they can stop and start almost anywhere without digging a canal.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks!
The Small-Doo X weight 281 lb. Wet.
Their rear suspension is designed for a good transfer, just back a little backwards and there is virtually no weight on the skis.

They do not climb as much as a mountain snowmobile, but they can stop and start almost anywhere without digging a canal.

Run those same power to weight and pressure numbers with a rider and watch them get closer together. :)

Nice work.

I have a 11 year old who would have a blast with those..........
He likes riding my 16 axys 162x3 a lot though.......

Power to weight with an 80# rider is good on that combo.

B
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks,

I just built a small home dynamometer. A dynamometer that measures directly on the crank of the engine (as is usually used on snowmobiles)
With affordable components, a 20-gallon hydraulic pump as a brake (instead of the water turbine that costs a fortune) but is limited to about 45 hp.
A load cell (with 4 strain gauges) with which I calibrated with an electronic torque wrench and double checked with a scale at 1 foot from the end of the lever. It's amazingly almost perfectly linear.
The most expensive part, the air fuel meter, which serves as an acquisition system at the same time. In addition to recording the gasoline air mixture, it records the cell's charge readings (via an amplifier) ​​and the RPM via an induction coil. I had to manufacture the latter because the induction clamp that was compatible with the air fuel meter did not work well.

Having torque and RPM makes it easy to calculate power.
The raw results are not as good as those obtained with a dynamometer by wheel inertia (no acceleration curves) but we can still extract the important data (torque and power max and RPM)
With a little data processing we can extract a curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYNU4n3LgM&t=5s

Premium Features