• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ECU & Chassis Relay ?

S
Jan 21, 2014
Minnesota
I have run into a problem with my 05 rmk900 this season. This is the first year that my 900 has sat outside all summer long so when it wasn't running right. It started out with low charge indicator then moved into a start for a few seconds and die with now head light or dash operation.
After hours of research on this forum, I thank all of you for your dedication to the 900, I decided to check the stator and did find a rub through wire and loose inner liner. repaired that still the same. Then i went trough all the connections which alot of them were corroded. So cleaned and dielectric greased them. Now It will start and run but no headlight or dash. through wire testing found tha the ECU is not grounding the chassis relay. Checked all the grounds to the computer and the white with blue wire to the relay and all ohm out perfect.
My question is has any one run into this before and should I replace ECU or just put a toggle switch to ground for the relay?
Sorry so long, Thank You Jason

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
If u can run the ecu switch go for it until u can get a good ecu. They come up on eBay pretty cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Jan 21, 2014
Minnesota
Just an update. ran a switch to ground for relay, bypassed computer. sled ran great for about 70 miles then just quit and wouldn't restart. Tested the stator and found the yellow wires have 0 resistance. will replace stator and recheck to see if ground from computer comes back.

S
Jan 21, 2014
Minnesota
so over the course of the year i have found that the computer and coil wire harness at the computer have had some burn marks on them. I have replace computer once with a used one that would not supply spark. which the original one never had that problem. so I got another computer and wire harness and now the sled runs but after a short time the dash and lights go dead and the fuel pump quits. Seems like a never ending battle. Now to test the stator and voltage regulator. Maybe just replace both and pray.

D
Feb 25, 2019
2006 Polaris 900 RMK - Start issue

OK I have some of the same problem. I have a 2006 RMK 900 and have never had an issue other than when you start need to have the finger on the throttle slightly. At low RPM the dash goes blank and I guess not enough juice being produced by the stator. A little RPM and everything works. after it comes back it shows one bar for battery and then moves to 3 and again things work. On another set of questions and answers somebody was talking about the a bad Chasis Relay causing this issue. What is this relay look like and location and have you mucked with that. Did a 100 miles last two days and today the sled stopped coming on out there and almost towed back but then I played with some of my kill switch tether and it started and rode back but don't really think that was the real cause. Just sitting for 10 minutes and cooling down might have reset things. Again some sort of ground problem and Chasis Relay my first place to look. Any thoughts....

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
Not sure if the relay is your problem or not. I had the low voltage/mfd issue on my wife's 06 700. I checked stator, VR and capacitor and I ended up swapping the relay off of my 05 900 and it fixed it. I ended up putting a NAPA relay in mine, but it caused issues as well, so I have an OEM one coming. The relay is easy to get to, it is located up on the harness by the exhaust pipe. I'm in Pocatello until Wed night, but if you can't find it, i can take picture when I get home. It looks like a standard relay. Hope this helps!

TecCrash

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Just a guess would be Stator. My 06 900 had a broken winding in the stator. can't remember if the fly wheel rubbed through it or it just broke from vibration. I think I soldered it back first and the replaced as I had one on order. but it would run get warm and die then finally not start at all. search my user and I know I posted up the whole event. I think guido cerial and 94fordguy were the experts here and I appreciated there help.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
OK I have some of the same problem. I have a 2006 RMK 900 and have never had an issue other than when you start need to have the finger on the throttle slightly. At low RPM the dash goes blank and I guess not enough juice being produced by the stator. A little RPM and everything works. after it comes back it shows one bar for battery and then moves to 3 and again things work. On another set of questions and answers somebody was talking about the a bad Chasis Relay causing this issue. What is this relay look like and location and have you mucked with that. Did a 100 miles last two days and today the sled stopped coming on out there and almost towed back but then I played with some of my kill switch tether and it started and rode back but don't really think that was the real cause. Just sitting for 10 minutes and cooling down might have reset things. Again some sort of ground problem and Chasis Relay my first place to look. Any thoughts....

I would venture to keep it simple imo..

The battery meter is going to directly relate to the capacitor. That’s a super quick test. They do go bad so do that anyways.

The sled not starting could be many things, I wouldn’t assume worst case, but a chassis relay is also a super simple and cheap part to swap and replace anyways. But the testers can get iced up and create issues, I had a kill switch go out this week on a buddies sled. So it happens

Premium Features