• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SAR, Sub channels, tones, BCA link

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
To begin with sub channel, tone, tone squelch, ctcss are all the same thing. And to be clear, give you no privacy! Anyone can listen to you. But, the opposite is not true. A tone only stops you from hearing others that are on the same channel. The term "sub channel" is very misleading, only good for marketing to the unknowing. There is nothing "channel" about it. It is a sub audible audio freqency (tone) that your radio uses to control the squelch. When you hear a transmision, the squelch has openned. If the radio does not hear the correct tone, it will not open the squelch and you will hear nothing. If 2 different groups are using the same channel and different tones, they can and will interfere with each other.

So, when you are lost, screwed up, hurt, and SAR is looking for you, the sub channels are the source of much frustration. If you are using a sub channel, SAR can hear you but, you will not be able to hear them. Also, if someone else needs help, you will not be able to hear them.

Others have advocated, on this forum, that the use of a tone is a bad idea. Tonight I have heard from some SAR folks that say the same. Mike Duffy is telling folks to use channel 9 sub 11 as in 911. I believe that is also a bad idea as, it is involving a tone. Just use whatever channel you want with no tone and you will hear everything on that channel.

You understand how everything on your sled works so, spend 5 min and learn more about how your radio works. Please read the Wikipedia article titled "ctcss". It is a much better expanation than I have written.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Premium Features