• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my new sled

S
Dec 27, 2010
I just purchased this sled a month ago its a rmk 700. My first mountain sled i rode it twice already man it climbs like no other and keeps up with the 800s, it has holz rear suspension and fox shocks and a new camoplast track , union bay race head and it has be re clutched. not sure if the pipe is aftermarket or not. I know it needs a riser and or bars. as it hurts my back all day to ride slouched over... I have some ? for you guys i would like to add the big wheel rear kit and add pro taper bars and riser, i would like to get some wider and lighter skis for the powder also what is a good aftermarket shock for front as iam 250 i would like a shock that is good for the bumpy trail in, also like to play in the trees and hill climb, also seems like the seat is super mushy i might need to change that as well.... here are some pics..thanks for your time .....
029.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
coming from a gen 2 800 rmk if that is the stock steering post if you put a riser on it, you MUST either get a stronger post or reinforce/build a better upper support system for it or you will bend it.

S
Dec 27, 2010
coming from a gen 2 800 rmk if that is the stock steering post if you put a riser on it, you MUST either get a stronger post or reinforce/build a better upper support system for it or you will bend it.

Yes I was looking into a fabtech 2 inch reinforced column I believe? A friend was also saying I could cut it and put a solid piece inside and weld around.!

T
Dec 25, 2007
Easy man. Those are all easy fix things that folks probably thought you could search for. The steering will need bolstering as noted. Shocks are going to be up to you and your wallet. The biggest things to watch out for if you are a heavy guy is the spring and valving set-up. There are soooo many companies to choose from to upgrade in this department it isn't possible to discuss them all here. Ski changes? That is again a huge area of contention. I would suggest that for a cheaper price some of the new polaris gripper skis are excellent. Seat? Well, again you have options. Anything from the aftermarket that raises the seat height will feel like a huge improvement. And big wheel kits can be a bit challenging when you already have extensions on the rails. The extensions are often sold as either for stock OR for big wheels. They thus may make the big wheels not a good idea. It would be worth checking into before dropping the coin.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Your rear suspension is not a stock unit and stock shocks will not work! You have a Holz coilover setup in there. The best bang for the buck there imo is to send those shocks to Carls Cycle and have them revalve, and respring those for your weight. That will make a huge difference. That route is very cheap. Most any other route you will have more money in shocks than what your sled is worth.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
Yes I was looking into a fabtech 2 inch reinforced column I believe? A friend was also saying I could cut it and put a solid piece inside and weld around.!

well i went the homemade route, i took a piece of rebar and pounded it down the post to start out with. try to get it around the bend as much as you can. then i took 2 bushings from an atv that fit the post and built a bracket that comes up the post to give some stronger support up higher. basically an L bracket of aluminum with 2 bushings on the post. worked perfect.

S
Dec 27, 2010
Hell yea thanks guys.... I am gonna start working on the sled soon my racecar is taking up too much time right now. So I'll take the shocks out and have them revalved for my weight and such. What about front shocks?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Hell yea thanks guys.... I am gonna start working on the sled soon my racecar is taking up too much time right now. So I'll take the shocks out and have them revalved for my weight and such. What about front shocks?

Hard to tell from the pics for sure, but they look to me to also be fox rebuildable shocks as well. Same story there with those. Send them to Carls. They can make it ride many many times better than it does without dumping more $$$ in that sled than it's worth. Yes, there are better shocks on the market than the standard Fox's. But, if money were no object you'd be on a new Pro so therefore I am steering you in this direction. I doubt you be disappointed with the results.

S
Dec 27, 2010
Ok so I have my mind made up gonna paint the hood matte black new bars. And riser, reinforced steering shaft, billet 8 inch wheels, powder skis, I'll post more pics as I complete it thanks guys for the help. If any body has any parts that iam looking for pm me..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
All sound advice so far.....did you get all your questions answered?

Sweet 77 views and no help. Awesome thanks snowest for the help. I'll go else were.

Well for starters on that...it's almost June so traffic is slow on here and not many are riding.
Also, the GenII chassis is a slow area of the forum. Just not that many out there anymore.

Much more traffic in the newer chassis these days. Iv'e been riding a GenII since 1999 when I started riding my 2000 800. Snowchecked a 2001 the next year. Have had that sled ever since.

I've got a LOT of time...and time...into this sled. LOL I've got info if you need it.
You can see it in the red link I have below..."Polaris 800 RMI Chassis f/s"

Last edited:
H
May 8, 2009
Colorado
skis

I put C&A PRO MTX ski's on my 2007 RMK 700....it really helps keep the sled on top of the pow! If you ride a lot of pow get them! They still track well on the trails too...but did I mention how much they make the sled float in the pow??!!!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Has anybody tryed to fill the stem with just epoxy?

I ran a solid bar of cromemoly down the center of mine. Still bent it in just a few rides. Adding an upper bearing support is the only real solution. Very cheap and easy to do. Search the other threads. There are pics and step by steps.

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
X3 wildchild I did bend mine but only on the 7th roll on the hill! it was an ugly wreck and only bent it a little and on hardpack! :) There tough as nails!

Premium Features