• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My XCR 800 Mountain sled build project.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
damn you!!! nice arms

Haha. The stuff is out there. You just need to get it as it comes up for sale.

Get some better shocks on your RMK and a better rear skid its going to improve the handling 100 fold.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Holz Trailing arms. HUGE improvement in how the front end of the sled sits. I might get some alimimum radius and steering rods yet, but that would be a simple swap out. The front end is more or less done for this year.

Now to address that HORRIBLE rear skid. Many options, but I think I will be matching the trailing arms with a HOLZ skid since I already have a set of HOLZ improved rails ready to go.

Bars and riser also need to be addressed, But thats fairly simple just need to order the parts for that.

Holz Trailing arms.jpg

Last edited:
I

itsallgood

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs
Your sled is coming together & looks great. Like that seat also. I used edge Radius rods on mine & still have them if your interested. I wouldn’t let the taller than stock fabcraft post scare you off. My sled came with a stock post that someone had reinforced around the neck & inserted a rod down the center tube. That post was still a POS & was only as strong as its next weakest link. After being towed off the mountain I purchased the +2" Fabcraft post & never looked back. The confidence you have by fully cranking on that post during hard turns or busting cornices never fades.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Your sled is coming together & looks great. Like that seat also. I used edge Radius rods on mine & still have them if your interested. I wouldn’t let the taller than stock fabcraft post scare you off. My sled came with a stock post that someone had reinforced around the neck & inserted a rod down the center tube. That post was still a POS & was only as strong as its next weakest link. After being towed off the mountain I purchased the +2" Fabcraft post & never looked back. The confidence you have by fully cranking on that post during hard turns or busting cornices never fades.

Thanks dude.

I know this post is going to be a problem the thing already bends side to side with the 2 inch riser thats on the sled. How wide are your edge rods? This XCR is still a wide front end, shocks are 16 inches on center so I cant go too narrow. Might be interested in the post and rods... Will have to see.

I

itsallgood

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs
I'll have to measure them & let you know. I had everything adjusted as tight as possible so the stance was only 37/38" wide. That being said I ran 15.5" C to C shocks so I'm sure theres enough adjustment to run your 16" shocks

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Any update? Hows the XCR run?

Never got a chance to ride this XCR this year. It sat in the garage and never made it anywhere. I rode my 03 RMK for both my rides this year.

Sadly I didnt get much riding time in.... My company opened a brand new facility this year and its been an intense 7 months of long hours weekends and nights. Now its finally slowing down so I can focus more on this kinda stuff. NO MORE TRAINING OR TRAINING DOCS TO WRITE EDIT, UPDATE AND REWRITE!!!

That being said, the more I thought about it, The XCR chassis just wasn't going to cut it SOOO

Its ALL GOIN IN A VAN AMBURG CHASSIS. 151 boon-docker tunnel, mountain machines steering rack and Snotec steering bushings. Going to use a custom Hoop and a Fabcraft post. HAHA

I just couldnt get behind that narrow running board stock chassis. with its crappy steering post and upper bushing... It just was never going to be extreme enough for what Im going to put it through. So its gotta go.

I got this setup from snowmobilekid here for an EPIC deal. Shipped right to my job where i basically live. I bought just the bulkhead, tunnel, chaincase, and drivers out of this setup. Going to use most of the XCR parts need a seat and tank still though. Cant wait to get started on it. Maybe this weekend.

Boondocker Tunnel.jpg

Last edited:
S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
Never got a chance to ride this XCR this year. It sat in the garage and never made it anywhere. I rode my 03 RMK for both my rides this year.

Sadly I didnt get much riding time in.... My company opened a brand new facility this year and its been an intense 7 months of long hours weekends and nights. Now its finally slowing down so I can focus more on this kinda stuff. NO MORE TRAINING OR TRAINING DOCS TO WRITE EDIT, UPDATE AND REWRITE!!!

That being said, the more I thought about it, The XCR chassis just wasn't going to cut it SOOO

Its ALL GOIN IN A VAN AMBURG CHASSIS. 151 boon-docker tunnel, mountain machines steering rack and Snotec steering bushings. Going to use a custom Hoop and a Fabcraft post. HAHA

I just couldnt get behind that narrow running board stock chassis. with its crappy steering post and upper bushing... It just was never going to be extreme enough for what Im going to put it through. So its gotta go.

I got this setup from snowmobilekid here for an EPIC deal. Shipped right to my job where i basically live. I bought just the bulkhead, tunnel, chaincase, and drivers out of this setup. Going to use most of the XCR parts need a seat and tank still though. Cant wait to get started on it. Maybe this weekend.

I've got a 2001 xcr I am looking for reverse for. If you want to part with the entire reverse system let me know. I picked it up 3mo ago, 1002.2mi, picks, electronic rear shock. All for $2250

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
when i had my 2000 800 rmk i took a piece of metal bar and pounded it down the steering post. i then made up my own upper mount that consisted of 2 additional bushings higher up on the post. it was super strong and never did bend after many years.

Premium Features