• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

voltage regulator?

S
Oct 26, 2011
Kaslo, BC
2001 rmk 800, just put in new bulbs in my headlight. they all blew on the first ride, i noticed one go right when i started the sled after stopping on the trail. the lights in the gauges are still working... was wondering if i should be worried about the cdi box?? and how do i check the voltage regulator?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
If you have a voltmeter set it on AC and read the voltage on any yellow wire. It should be around 12-13 vac at idle and go no higher than 15 vac when you rev it up. If it does then the voltage regulator is shot.

My 00 RMK is doing the same thing right now....I replaced the regulator and it still blew the lights out.....

It won't hurt the CDI, I rand 50 miles with no headlight or brake light with no problems....sure wish I could get this figured out....all grounds check out...

S
Oct 26, 2011
Kaslo, BC
kinda annoying when i spent over 30 dollars on light bulbs, does your blow them when you start the sled or after riding for a while? i noticed one set of my headlights go right when i started the sled back up afte rsitting for 5 minutes on the trail... im going to go over and check my regulator with a volt meter and let you know what it says.

S
Oct 26, 2011
Kaslo, BC
anyone else have an opinion about weather or not its going to hurt the cdi in the long run, i've put at least 50-100 miles on if not more since it's been acting up, but definatly dont want to burn that thing up

B
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
I use Cat regulators they are much more reliable.

We piggy backed a couple cat ones on the 99 for this year, seem to be working great so far.

Also last year I had a few regulator problems with it, blowing light bulbs/fuses for my handwarmers etc. Went thru 2 genuine polaris regulators. The tach quit after the second regulator went. Never had any problems after that which leads to believe the tach was my problem.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
so if it is shot is it gonna mess up my cdi? can i take a regulator off an xlt to replace it?

The CDI doesn't use regulated power so the answer is No you won't wreck your CDI. Regulator off an XLT is more than likely the same as what you have so it should be okay to use it.

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
anyone else have an opinion about weather or not its going to hurt the cdi in the long run, i've put at least 50-100 miles on if not more since it's been acting up, but definatly dont want to burn that thing up

my 200 800 rmk is doing the same, it gets bright one minute than really dim the next. i have put 300+ miles on it, so does this sound like a voltage regulator problem? have a phazer doing the same thing, but there is no regulator on those older machines, so i am stumped, i just assume not ride at night anyways lol good way to kill yourself, well at least me being a beginner, thanks

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
my 200 800 rmk is doing the same, it gets bright one minute than really dim the next. i have put 300+ miles on it, so does this sound like a voltage regulator problem?

Could be but it could also be a short to ground in the wiring somewhere like to the tail lights, etc.

have a phazer doing the same thing, but there is no regulator on those older machines, so i am stumped,

I thought the old phazers had a 2 wire regulator like the one shown here as part number 01-354-35. I could be wrong though.
http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/index.php?option=com_flippingbook&view=book&id=14&Itemid=458&firstPageNumber=115

G
Mar 30, 2011
minnesota
I was wondering how you guys plugged the VR in. I got a new one for my 2001 700 rmk and came with a male and female plug on the VR, but my old one had 1 yellow wire. Also my wire harness is a 3 wire all female pin. Thanks for the help.

R
Oct 7, 2009
washington
We just replaced the voltage regulator in my 01 800 rmk, before the lights would blow up but once it was replaced they worked fine. The one we used to replace it had a 2 prong hook up with a brown(not used) and yellow wire. On the chassis there was a 3 prong plug which had 2 reds tied together, a brown and 2 yellows tied together. we cut off the connector and put a new one on that had only two plugs, where we sodered the yellow wires to the lead that was going to be used. The new regulator came with a new mounting plate that mounts to the foot well where the old one was. Hope this helps

Premium Features