• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HAC info for those that need to know

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
After much research I learned the H.A.C. altitude compensator units on 95-98 Summits should have the calibration checked annually, at least for the first few years. The calibration is easy to adjust.

You can test general operation by placing unit in the freezer for an hour or so, then measure the needle position. After it warms up to room temp it should move 1-2mm approx.

Here is a close estimate of needle position at 20 degrees F, 30.08 barometric pressure:

1184 ft = 10.5mm from top of tube
7266 ft = 7.4mm
8554 ft = 6.6mm
10,000 ft = 5.6mm

1184 ft at 73 degrees F = 9.1mm

PM me if you need figures for other altitudes or temps.

R
After much research I learned the H.A.C. altitude compensator units on 95-98 Summits should have the calibration checked annually, at least for the first few years. The calibration is easy to adjust.

You can test general operation by placing unit in the freezer for an hour or so, then measure the needle position. After it warms up to room temp it should move 1-2mm approx.

Here is a close estimate of needle position at 20 degrees F, 30.08 barometric pressure:

1184 ft = 10.5mm from top of tube
7266 ft = 7.4mm
8554 ft = 6.6mm
10,000 ft = 5.6mm

1184 ft at 73 degrees F = 9.1mm

PM me if you need figures for other altitudes or temps.
Coldfinger, where exactly is the needle to measure distance from? Do i have to remove the slotted screw from the back of it? And distance measure from needle to what?

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Measurement

Do not remove the slotted screw from the back or you will have to recalibrate it................the needle is measured from the front side. Remove the hose that connects the HAC to the vacuum source from the carbs, the needle is down inside, measue from the top of the nipple to the top of the needle, the measurement is how far down is the needle from the top of the nipple.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Ditto the screw - do not touch unless your needle is not set correctly. If you need to move the needle you can loosen/remove the screw and apply vacuum to one of the fittings while plugging the others. Not sure which fitting right off hand. You just need to get the needle out further then install the screw.

Then, with a matchstick marked for the right mm, place it on the needle and slowly loosen the screw till the needle begins to drop and stop when at the right depth.

Mar 20, 2012
Is there a formula you use to figure out the caliberation at different elevations and temps or do you just look at a chart or somthing

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I sold the sled a few years ago and I think I tossed the HAC info but I can't check into it till next week.

Google is what led me to some good info. Maybe one of my other threads has more on this.

Premium Features