• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sledding in Scandinavia

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, for those of us that have never been anywhere near Scandinavia, whats sledding like in your neck of the woods.

Give all of us a little insight into whats makes Norway and the rest of Scandinavia special when it comes to Snowmobiling??

Whats the best part about riding there, and whats the worst?

T

Turbokarlsen

Nov 30, 2007
Pedersen was telling me that because of the warm water from the Gulf Stream you get very little snow?

you can see from my pictures how much snow we have. It vary from one winter to another.... I think we have enough snow most winters:face-icon-small-hap

H
Nov 4, 2009
out by the coast it can be very unstable winters, but everywhere else it's pretty awesome =). Winter of 1997 we had 2,46 meters (8 feet+) of snow at sea-level in the city I live in, Tromsoe, and even more in the mountains. At average it's about 1,5-2 meters (in the mountains) of snow where i ride. But it's quite rare to have real powder like you guys "over there" have tho.

As mentioned we ride straight from sea-level to as much as 1830 meters (6000feet). I know places you can go as far as 2900 feet in one pull straight from the parking lot at sea-level.

The bad thing is that it's only trails in Norway, and few of them, no dedicated areas to freeride, like they have in Sweden, and if you get caught outside the trails you're gonna have to dig deep in your pockets :p

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That is a WORLD of difference than over here!

NO freeriding at all in your whole country??

And NO real powder?

We have to get you over here in January for our ride.

H
Nov 4, 2009
There is freeriding, but it's not legal. The police uses helicopters and snowmobiles in some areas to capture freeriders without permit. A friend of mine got caught by helicopter about 6-7 years ago, he tried to outrun them, but ended up with a 1200 dollar ticket. Luckily the police has a budget to stay to, so they cant afford to use the helicopter to many weekends pr. season.

As for powder... there is powder, but not several feet like it seems you guys have like every day :p

S
Dec 28, 2008
where can i ride

Im in the US Air Force and im going to be stationed at ramstein air base for two years starting in december and i was wondering if theres any riding in europe and if there is where do i go and what its like ive ridden in the western us for years and i love the steep and deep snow we have but i would take anything i could get as far as riding in europe is concerned. Any help would definatly be appreciated.

There are plenty of companies in Sweden and Finland that cater to snowmobiling crowds.

No need to chase some baltic tourism company that has never operated in the region or know anything about snowmobiling.

Finland is quite good with powder snow being common inlands from Rovaniemi and in the eastern and northern areas. Usually lowlands riding as Finland does not have mountains.
Sweden is where the mountain riding is at, and plenty of Freeriding there as well as powder.

Premium Features