• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Canyon Creek & Kimmerly Creek/Basin

R

ronmexico78

Feb 28, 2008
I am heading down with 3 other guys from Canada to ride this area around end of march for 3 days. The Lodge we are staying at in Martin City is going to supply us with a guide to take us around and show us the play area's mentioned above off the trail system.
Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as terrain goes, or better yet any pictures or live links to trail systems?

I rode Olney (Stryker Loop/ red meadow) last time I was in the Whitefish area on Presidents Day and found it to be an ok area to ride. Lots of little pockets off the trail system to play and climb with tons of it untouched! Not Many riders were there at all for a long weekend.
How does canyon/Kimmerley compare to Olney? Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance.

V

Vboost

Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
Here is a couple of pics of Kimmerly Basin along with a link to over the snow maps, Kimmerly Basin is in the Glacier View Ranger Districts, good riding in the Hungry horse district also.. You said you will have a guide so he will be able to take you to the best places during your stay.. Pics taken today..

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/flathead//maps/snowmobile_index.htm

Last edited:
R

ronmexico78

Feb 28, 2008
Thanks boost. Looks warm up there, what was the temp up top today? Looks like there was a little sluff that happened on that high-mark picture. Thats alot of untouched powder given that the last snowfall up there must have been over 2 weeks ago, no?

Our guide says thats where he is taking us (to Canyon Creek) wonder if the Hungry Horse district is any good?

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
That back hill in Kimmerly will, and does slide. You just have to watch conditions. There is a link to the local avy reports in my sig line. There is some good riding up Canyon if you know where to go, and I'm assuming your guide is going to know those areas. Also check out the Flathead Valley thread in this Montana section. This is where most of us post about rides, and pics.

Hungry Horse district has some great riding as well. Horrible trail ride in (no grooming up there)....but you can get into some big stuff (and more avy's...again just watch your surroundings and have proper gear & know how to use it). Not that you can't find big stuff in Glacier View district. I'd say check with your guide.

It has been warmer out, but today is colder and it's snowing out right now. :)

R

ronmexico78

Feb 28, 2008
Thanks Catwoman. That link with all the maps in pdf is awesome !

Question: What is the 'Challenger' area like to ride? It is the area near the Marias Pass. (Challenger is what it was called on the Hungry Horse District Map)
I have heard the Marias area gets HUGE snowfalls (not that you guys arent getting it all over the Flathead) and has alot of open bowls. Everytime I come down there from Canada I always see they have a groomer there parked in the staging area directly off of Highway 2 near the pass so I would assume the trail ride up would be decent...?? Any comments or pic's would be cool.

So far our trip is going to consist of 2 days riding in the Canyon/Kimmerly area and 1 day riding stryker loop up in Olney. I asked our guide about Hungry horse area and he said there are more play areas in Canyon than in the Hungry Horse area. However im thinking of maybe only doing 1 day in Canyon and the other day in the Marias; and still the third day would be Olney.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks Catwoman. That link with all the maps in pdf is awesome !

Question: What is the 'Challenger' area like to ride? It is the area near the Marias Pass. (Challenger is what it was called on the Hungry Horse District Map)
I have heard the Marias area gets HUGE snowfalls (not that you guys arent getting it all over the Flathead) and has alot of open bowls. Everytime I come down there from Canada I always see they have a groomer there parked in the staging area directly off of Highway 2 near the pass so I would assume the trail ride up would be decent...?? Any comments or pic's would be cool.

So far our trip is going to consist of 2 days riding in the Canyon/Kimmerly area and 1 day riding stryker loop up in Olney. I asked our guide about Hungry horse area and he said there are more play areas in Canyon than in the Hungry Horse area. However im thinking of maybe only doing 1 day in Canyon and the other day in the Marias; and still the third day would be Olney.

Hungry Horse has some good play areas, but is VERY technical in nature...if you are not familiar with teh country (and even if you are) there are some drops taht the human body is not made to withstand...Several years ago, local rider dropped 1100 feet off cliff...

last year, we had to helpo a few guys who were "experienced" get out of an area where they unfortunately dropped off a series of 20 foot drops...took 6 hours to get them out...had to build trail, had to make a staging area to get sled up to speed etc. etc. etc. So, just be careful...canyon is great area, and stryker has some good play areas, and bowls you can drop into...

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell,MT
Skyland (Marias) is a great place to ride. They usually do a great job grooming the trail and there are a lot of good play areas. If you go to the end of the road and then follow the creek up there are some nice big bowls. But you have to be careful not to go too far and end up in the wilderness.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
There's more to skyland/marias pass than el tigre (although the back end of puzzle creek/el tigre/cresent cliffs is pretty awesome).

There's plenty of good boondocking to be had on the east fork loop (first left turn off the main trail), and challenge loop. There's some HUGE climbs up 25 mile road (right turn just before challenge cabin), although be prepared for lots of sidehilling, and tree riding to get to them. Most all of this stuff (with the exception of 25 mile) is novice friendly, too.

Premium Features