• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bulkhead reinforcement plate

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Really

Lmao. Have you seen the new cat "walking" over the 850? I highly doubt it. Ya we all saw a video where a cat poached the doo track for 10-20 feet and then climbed 20ft higher. That's kinda what happens when any sled poaches track. It's like a shot of nitrous.

This comment should get a thumbs down but instead I handed out free thumbs ups to everyone else.

I do wish Jori would have went up the hill first with the 2018 cat

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
The amount of broken bulkheads as stated in the 2018 reveal was "far less then 60 units" so there wasn't an actual number,,, but because they said 60,,, everyone is now calling it "60 of them broke".... An actual number of broken bulkheads would be nice to hear.. X-specially if the number is far less then 60. Dave? You have any insight?

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
This comment should get a thumbs down but instead I handed out free thumbs ups to everyone else.

I do wish Jori would have went up the hill first with the 2018 cat

All I know for sure is the throttle was let off twice on the 850. Plus it wasn't pinned from the start I see this as a clear disadvantage to the 850. For what snowride has said about BRP as a company already showed me bias. Doesn't seem to be towards Doo that's for sure.

Everyone wants a shot at the throne.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
The amount of broken bulkheads as stated in the 2018 reveal was "far less then 60 units" so there wasn't an actual number,,, but because they said 60,,, everyone is now calling it "60 of them broke".... An actual number of broken bulkheads would be nice to hear.. X-specially if the number is far less then 60. Dave? You have any insight?

There never going to give you an exact number.
There's probably very few in the flat lands with the trail sleds.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Your right

All I know for sure is the throttle was let off twice on the 850. Plus it wasn't pinned from the start I see this as a clear disadvantage to the 850. For what snowride has said about BRP as a company already showed me bias. Doesn't seem to be towards Doo that's for sure.

Everyone wants a shot at the throne.

He has bashed BRP some.
So maybe somebody else needs to do a side by side comparison.
Hard to find a truly impartial tester though.

The 850s I ride with run very well. Nice crisp throttle response and the track has amazing traction

Last edited:

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
My effort to put this thread back on the rails...

It will help. I don't think it will hurt. Plus it isn't just the brace, they beefed it up in critical areas.

Will it solve the problem that doesn't exist? We will see.

I know for sure the sled is a riot to ride.

People complain that Doo has a problem and when Doo makes an effort to fix it people still complain. The producer isn't the problem it is the consumers

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I'd be more worried about the new cat walking over the skidoo with 50 less cc. We will see how the new c tech motor holds up, but if it does looks like skidoo will be back in third place in the two stroke mtn market.

keep on smoking the good stuff....cat just got bought out by textron for pennies on the dollar. they are firmly in third place and potentially out of the snowmobile business in a few years. and the scariest thing of all is that they are no longer running suzuki engines which, in my opinion is the death of them. I'd be extremely skeptical of buying a new homegrown redneck minnesota built engine. polaris has been building their own motors for 2 decades producing many disastrous engines over the years and they still dont have it perfected

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
My effort to put this thread back on the rails...

It will help. I don't think it will hurt. Plus it isn't just the brace, they beefed it up in critical areas.

Will it solve the problem that doesn't exist? We will see.

I know for sure the sled is a riot to ride.

People complain that Doo has a problem and when Doo makes an effort to fix it people still complain. The producer isn't the problem it is the consumers

60 broken bulkheads and a problem does not exist? bizarre comment. I think people that bought 17's are secretly hoping doo will not beef up the bulkhead for 2018 due to fear that their 17's will plummett in value. clearly it is a problem and i'm happy they are going to beef it up, i'm going to snow check an 18 because of the change. pretty excited about it.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
60 broken bulkheads and a problem does not exist? bizarre comment. I think people that bought 17's are secretly hoping doo will not beef up the bulkhead for 2018 due to fear that their 17's will plummett in value. clearly it is a problem and i'm happy they are going to beef it up, i'm going to snow check an 18 because of the change. pretty excited about it.

You like many others are glad they addressed it. I am glad you're one who appreciates what they've done. We do however have a different opinion on the 60. I think 60 is minimal compared to how many they sold. It is okay to have different opinions. I also disagree that the '17s prices have plummeted. The first year, the first ride, always brings the largest depreciation after that the depreciation slows. That is why most people I know trade every two years.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
You like many others are glad they addressed it. I am glad you're one who appreciates what they've done. We do however have a different opinion on the 60. I think 60 is minimal compared to how many they sold. It is okay to have different opinions. I also disagree that the '17s prices have plummeted. The first year, the first ride, always brings the largest depreciation after that the depreciation slows. That is why most people I know trade every two years.

The # is significantly less than 60... What they said

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Bulkheads

The # is significantly less than 60... What they said

They didn't say the number was significantly less than 50.
More have broke in the last few days.

BRP stepped up and addressed this problem because it was a problem maybe a small problem but still a problem. Everybody should be happy about that. I'm impressed that BRP talked about it and came up with a fix.

It's an expensive fix when it happens to you.
Bulkheads shouldn't break before there's suspension damage.
I'm thinking BRP has it right now.
Good job.

djm

Lifetime Membership
I wonder what is better? Doo's rear brace or grip and rip?
I'm installing the grip and rip kit.
But might want to compare the rear brace's
Almost tempted to just replace the whole updated bulkhead with grip and rip, Preventative maintenence?

The E modules, Thought we were seeing issue with that as well?
With a stronger braced bulkhead is the E module the next week link?

I am thinking you need the new doo brace and it would not hurt to add the Rip and Grip too. I think they are doing different functions. The Doo one will help support the side that is hit by bracing it to the opposite side of the sled. The Rip and Grip will support the a arm better by having support on both sides of the bushing and transferring some of more of the load to a different area of the casting. Also the both brace will resist twisting of the module.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
If I had a 17 and I still don't believe it is that big of a problem that it comes off to be but if I had a 17 I would do a combination of the available braces. This would only be a precautionary measure.

Ever wonder how thankful Grip-N-Rip is that Doo made the XM s-mod weak? I bet they made a killing off those. It is good for aftermarket companies sometimes. If you want to look at this positively :)

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Can the doo brace be installed without tearing half the front end apart?

H
Dec 15, 2014
89aa5a10374fc091140377a84d6e497b.jpg

Christopher, did you install this yourself or dealer installed? Just wondering what the time frame/cost is for this!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
keep on smoking the good stuff....cat just got bought out by textron for pennies on the dollar. they are firmly in third place and potentially out of the snowmobile business in a few years. and the scariest thing of all is that they are no longer running suzuki engines which, in my opinion is the death of them. I'd be extremely skeptical of buying a new homegrown redneck minnesota built engine. polaris has been building their own motors for 2 decades producing many disastrous engines over the years and they still dont have it perfected

internet blabber at its finest..

i would not be happy camper if i had to pull the motor out of my brand new sled (that the bank still owns in my case) just to add bracing so i could sleep better at night.
the 850 looks sweet tho. not bashing. kinda reminds me of a pull and go perfectly set up mod sled that someone nailed on the set-up really. fins in the clutch, good idea. too bad heat rises tho and the secondary is still right over the top of it.
hope the bracing helps, good on doo for at least doing something if they put that on the 18.

Premium Features