• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the proclimb a $10k upgrade over an M??

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I know this has been asked before but I am going to ask it in a different way.

I have an 07M8 that might me worth $3k if a am lucky and maybe $4k parted out. It has a Dakota Performance motor, 2.6 PC, VE tunnel kit, D-lite Drive. Slp pipe, PCV.... in awesome condition.
Everything an M needs expect a blower. I ride it very well and haven't found anything except for an $20K HM Turbo Pro that has made me think of trading it. With that said I think the 2016 PC might finally be the sled.

It makes the next four years $250 a ride just in payments. I can afford it but is it worth the dollars or should I wait for the next big thing???

Thanks

Thanks,

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I rode my 09m8 till i finally found something that was more fun. That was the 2014 proclimb.
I think the 16 is a bit better than the 14 but not worth the loss i would take on the 14.
The 09 m8 will hold a slow/stop and go sidehill better in setup snow but that is it. I loved my 09 more than any sled i have ridden before.
Demo the 16 and see if u like it.
Completely different sled than the Mseries.

Los frijoles estan muy caliente dijo la mama osa!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
i was the same way on an 08 M and until the 14 no other sled made me even think about ditching the M. Rode the 14 and picked one up. sold it and now have a 16 one the way.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
Same as both above! i Have a 11 M8 and i have it setup perfectly. I absolutely love the sled. I feel very confident on it. I rode a few 15's and a 16 last season and decided it was time to upgrade. Even my 11 with all the upgrades isnt worth chit so i kept it and my wife can use it or i'll bring it as a backup when i go out west. It wasnt worth me getting rid of it. Resale this past summer has been hard cause of how cheap you were able to get leftovers this season. I got my 15 HCR for $9000 out the door. I couldnt pass that up for a 16 as much as i wanted one!

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
The proclimb is very capable and will make your 08 feel like a stone boat. The chassis is very ergo friendly and much easier to ride IMO. I went from an 09 crossfire with a 2.25 pc, to a 2013 high country to a 15 M8000. Each sled has been better than the one before it.

I see the pc chassis as a hole new experience rather than a simple upgrade.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm in the same boat, it looks like my son will be riding my 09 M8 and I will be on a 2015 M8000. I too have a very strong loyalty to the M series sleds and mine is set up just right. I understand it will take a bit of getting used to on the 2015 but, I am excited about it.

I'm just a bit concerned for his safety because the 09 has WAY more power an he is used to with a SLP stage III motor, a 2.6" Powerclaw, 36" front end and all the other goodies. Going from a M5 to this will be quite the upgrade.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The 16' is a very amazing sled, especially if you get the 3 inch. You just have to decide how much you'll miss that 10K.

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
imo yes i had my 10 M8 done up as much as i wanted and it was still no where near as good as the C was in stock form (that was back when 2012 was released) so needless to say i got a new one :p

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I think that the 2016 Proclimb is going to be an awesome sled, they have made tons of small changes since 2012... And some pretty big ones from the 2015 to the 2016, but I would be hesitant to buy a 2016. I would say its a pretty sure deal that we will see a new chassis next year from both cat and doo. I think that cat has probably learned alot in the last few years about what people want, and a new chassis is gonna really give them the opportunity to take back the mountain market, hopefully they capitalize. If I were you and happy with your M I would keep it one more year, and wait "for the next big thing".

I would also keep an open mind and look into both Poo and Doo next year, both have had some great things happening the last couple of years.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I don't know man. I had a 05 06 08 and a 11M
LOVED the 11 so much . got the 14 and really had a hard time getting use to it. was on the old M so long I knew what it would do when I put my foot hear or there. did this or that with out thinking about it.
only have limited time on the 14 cuz I got it at end of 14 so 1 spring weekend ride in the UP . and last yr well U know so less than 10 days.
starting to get use to the 14 it is deff a better sled than I am rider on it but getting use to a new ride was a bit tougher than I thought it would be.
do u guys really think cat will get a whole new chassis for next yr? it has taken them 5 yrs to get this one right . poss heavy modifications kind of like the axsis but I do not think they are ready to scrap it. especially with everything else going on over in Plymouth

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My 09 everything was natural, i never had to think about where i had to stand or when to pull or how hard to squeeze the throttle.
Since my first ride, it was just like walking, completely natural.
The 14 proclimb is not natural to me. I had to relearn how to ride.
I was falling over and off the sled like i was a noob. The proclimb is more capable than any M sled but it needs to be ridden different. It took me almost 400 miles to stop over riding the sled. Once i became comfortable with the proclimb the M series felt so old and difficult to handle(i hated the snow build up on the boards, shredded several pairs of boots). I ended up selling my 09 the next season because i knew i wouldn't be happy riding it anymore. I put 4,000 fun miles on that sled. Only had to replace the diamond drive single row bearing and one primary clutch and several drive belts. (Not counting mods)

Los frijoles estan muy caliente dijo la mama osa!

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Theres a few left over 15 down at guys. Might be able to get one and the updated front end cheaper then buying a 16. But we all know you should just get a doo!!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Trade every year at its just a little pay off each year, no big hit or loss

C
Dec 24, 2014
Upgrade, period. The new sleds ARE better than the old ones. I still help maintain and ride a small fleet of '07-10 M-Cats, stock and modded. I still love riding those sleds and I am still excited if I ride one as a back-up. They flat work but do feel a little old compared to the new Cat, Doo and Poo.

I stole a demo ride for a weekend on the '16. Had to grind the clutch weights but it was turning 8000 rpm so I did OK. The ONLY thing holding me back from just buying one is the weight. We had all 3 out, and the Cat, with an SLP can, was STUPID heavy lifting on the front bumper compared to the competition. I see where for about $2000 I can do the full SLP pipe set and an MVM belt drive, it drops 30 lbs...

Great sled stock though. I couldn't do the narrowest front end setting, went for the middle setting, worked great. You can feel the weight over my Pro, it wears you out but, it does work. The new caster angle lets you sidehill like a mofo, holds a line MUCH better than the old series IMO, VERY close to my Pro, which I think is a HUGE compliment.

The Limited shock package absolutely rocks. Never ridden better stock. Motor is great as always and the 3" track lifts the heavy front end and rocks in deeper snow. Worked fine on the spring hardpack too.

Just do it... With all the hassle Polaris is giving me, I may take my own advice and join you! I just can't do he Doo. Fix the steering post and rider position and we can talk...

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Since 2012 the way I set up my pro climbs no other sled has touched them in the technical, and if I wanted to add power I could have, but never needed to.
If you narrow up the boards, add steering, and some weight loss you will kill just about anything (less completely custom builds and I still take down every one I've run across in the steep technical)
The 16 is way better but still needs the same things, otherwise the axys is going to stomp it.
If you want a sled that will do something, Im selling my 14, it has 5k in upgrades, 3" included and countless hours in it to get it setup just right. It will flat walk on the 16! I have a 16 narrowed up and the 14 pulls away from it. The 14 is also a stock motor. So if you wanted you could take it and turn up the power. I always had fun embarrassing other sleds and watching their disbelief when I said, well its got a can.
The chassis is built right, clutched, geared and 39lbs under.
It's for sale, I'd like 10k but anything over 9 I'll talk about. 5k in the right upgrades and a lot of hours. 800 miles. Nice thing is the miles aren't that hard because you only use it half as hard to get the same places.
You could get a sled that will kill any stock 16 for 4k+ less.

May even be able to get to WA if the timing is right

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Since 2012 the way I set up my pro climbs no other sled has touched them in the technical, and if I wanted to add power I could have, but never needed to.
If you narrow up the boards, add steering, and some weight you will kill just about anything (less completely custom builds and I still take down every one I've run across in the steep technical)
The 16 is way better but still needs the same things, otherwise the axys is going to stomp it.
If you want a sled that will do something, Im selling my 14, it has 5k in upgrades, 3" included and countless hours in it to get it setup just right. It will flat walk on the 16! I have a 16 narrowed up and the 14 pulls away from it. The 14 is also a stock motor. So if you wanted you could take it and turn up the power. I always had fun embarrassing other sleds and watching their disbelief when I said, well its got a can.
The chassis is built right, clutched, geared and 39lbs under.
It's for sale, I'd like 10k but anything over 9 I'll talk about. 5k in the right upgrades and a lot of hours. 800 miles. Nice thing is the miles aren't that hard because you only use it half as hard to get the same places.
You could get a sled that will kill any stock 16 for 4k+ less.

Premium Features