• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anti-theft gps on a sled?

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I just had my truck and sled stolen from my driveway, the truck was recovered but sled is gone. I'm pretty devastated, a case of bad timing will leave me having to save up a whack of $$ to get a new one.

I have been thinking about putting gps locators on all my toys, just wondering if anyone has any experience installing such a device on a snowmobile? From what I quickly learned googling the subject.... there seems to be two types of gps trackers for this purpose.

#1 is always on and tracking, and needs to be supplied power continuously. Some have optional temporary backup batteries, some have one built in. Obviously a battery on the sled would be necessary.

#2 is triggered to notify, or track when triggered by situations like: movement, boundary breach, or time intervals. This type seems to be internal battery powered, so easier to work with on a sled without a battery. Possibly issues with having to replace batteries all the time, or freezing batts?

I don't know anything about cost or if there are subscription fees, just looked quickly between shifts at work here. Anyone have any insight on which type would serve the purpose best on a snowmobile, or knowledge on other options?

My plan is to have gps on my sled, bike, and truck. As well I am going to install a motion sensor trigger security camera on the front of my house. Nobody is ever getting away with my gear again.:mad2:

B
May 13, 2009
i have a black line on my quad
about 185 a year to have up to the minute monitoringof it.
works off cell reception not the best wont trans mitt through an inclosed trailer
it does eat batteries though the quad battery
it will tell you when low battery primitive breach of 300 yards
and motion sensing but have never been able to set that one off
and it will email you when these things are actuated.
very easy to install just hide it some ware out of the way
find a hot wire and ground your good to go
think it took 4 hours to activate once everything was set up
is it worth it ill know if it gets stolen and i find it again
cops will be a little more receptive to you when you can locate it for them

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yes I have insurance... but outside of the full replacement time limit, I will get blue book value which is a loss for me. GPS tracking will almost guarantee recovery which would be the only way for me to not lose on this theft. Plus the bastards will have their day in court if they target me again.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Do you really think that someone who steals sleds carries it around on top of a flatbed or something???

Imo these things are worthless being that the guys need only put it in a trailer and a garage, and it's useless.

If your sled is worth more than bluebook, you need to ride harder, or record your mods... BB value is always WAY more than my sleds are worth.

Insure your sleds for what they're worth.. these things seem like a GREAT way to be even more pissed when it's stolen and you can't do anything about it despite paying way too much money for the product.

Premium Features