• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 D8 performance! LOL

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
I fn love my 600

Last year at Arctic Man we had 6 sleds, 5 riders, and no brains. By the end of the week only one sled was still running and undamaged. My little 600 had weathered the storm without a scratch. My 700 and a new M-1000 were still moving under their own power but were bent up. An M7 and an older RMK 800 had thrown in the towel. Arguing 800s to 700s is pointless in a group the modifies the crap out of everything. At the end of a hard and fun week last year my 600 had demonstrated the most important quality that a sled can possess. Others wanted it.

:beer;:cool:

e-rod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Upstate New York
I do believe that the D8 had a few hundred miles on it the guy had just come back from a day of trail riding when he stopped over. And the D7 maybe had 10 miles on the new motor. I didn't start this post because I hate the 800 I am as die hard Polaris as anyone and would recomend anyone buy one. Really I was just poking fun and wondering if anyone else had experenced the same performance or if my buddy should look into taking it back to the dealer as something is wrong. Just here looking for info just like everyone else.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The D7 is the over achiever and the D8 is an under achiever.
The D7s are more consitently putting out the 140hp they are suppose to and the D8 rarely puts out the 154hp they were suppose to..... more often only the dynoed 145hp.
The D7 is very reliable and the D8 is ????

IceCap, I don't mean to rip on you at all. But I'm "borrowing" your quote because this is typical mentality of this 4M. People get so caught up in reading something and then it gets so blown out of proportion. I always say that there is 1 in 10 good posts on this 4M.

I've had both the D7 and D8. Neither ever broke down on me! (My D7 had an issue that was my fault). The D7 was rock solid and I believe the best 700 ever made! My D8 has been great so far. I have a PCV on it to make sure I'm getting a better fuel mixture. The update does make it rich and you have to work past that. But...my D7 could never climb as well as my D8. I put a high compression head on my D7 and it would run with any stock 800, but didn't have the torque or "hit" when climbing the big hills. The D8 doesn't have the manufacturers HP ratings that AC has, but it does well on the hill. You can look at all the numbers you want, you still have to find a way to put that HP down to the track!

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
IceCap, I don't mean to rip on you at all. But I'm "borrowing" your quote because this is typical mentality of this 4M. People get so caught up in reading something and then it gets so blown out of proportion. I always say that there is 1 in 10 good posts on this 4M.

I've had both the D7 and D8. Neither ever broke down on me! (My D7 had an issue that was my fault). The D7 was rock solid and I believe the best 700 ever made! My D8 has been great so far. I have a PCV on it to make sure I'm getting a better fuel mixture. The update does make it rich and you have to work past that. But...my D7 could never climb as well as my D8. I put a high compression head on my D7 and it would run with any stock 800, but didn't have the torque or "hit" when climbing the big hills. The D8 doesn't have the manufacturers HP ratings that AC has, but it does well on the hill. You can look at all the numbers you want, you still have to find a way to put that HP down to the track!

After reading the forums forever and looking at dyno sheets I was scared to death to bring my new d8 155 out to the hills and ride with my buddies who were all riding very well setup xp's. Take my word for this, a well tuned polaris 800cfi WILL hang with anything similar on the hill if not outrun it. I just spent a whole week in Revy and this sled woke a lot of people up to the potential of this engine when tuned properly

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
Now children, must I remind you that a 136" track was once called the "Rocky Mountain King" , "Snow King Special" and "Powder Special." If you were in any kind of snow at all, the 136 would kill the 121. Anyone who is at least 30 and has been riding for a while knows this. Providing that the track lugs were a comparable height, it takes quite a bit more HP to over rule traction. This was proven, much to my suprise and dissapointment a couple years ago. I was riding my stock 02 800 RMK 144. It ran real good for a stocker. My cousin was on one of the first rides on his new 05 700 RMK 151. I hit the early season, bottomless snow covered hill with a good head of steam, only to turn out just before the initial hard pull was over. My cousin blew by me with no problem and continued his way to the top. I then Got a ful meadow run at the base of the hill, only to go a sled length higher than before. Later that winter, I managed to find a single pipe and a 151 and it was no comparison, I could smoke him like a good cigar. Traction + Power :)

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
After reading the forums forever and looking at dyno sheets I was scared to death to bring my new d8 155 out to the hills and ride with my buddies who were all riding very well setup xp's. Take my word for this, a well tuned polaris 800cfi WILL hang with anything similar on the hill if not outrun it. I just spent a whole week in Revy and this sled woke a lot of people up to the potential of this engine when tuned properly

Please enlighten us on your "tuning", not a skeptic just curiuos. Our group seemed fairly comparable last year (doos vs. poos)but I haven't been out this year

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i dont care what sled is better but i dont like arcticat i i dont think a well setup cat or polaris will touch a well setup xp. those xps are climbers atleast the ones around here are

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
"High marking" is for punks.
Oh gosh, that guy went up a hill. I must exceed the distance above sea level of his imprint.
Yep, that's why I ride.
I just pulled the rear skid apart on my 700 and whats not bent is cracked. Just imagine the carnage that would have transpired if I was on an 800. I could have been killed.

:beer;:p

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
Please enlighten us on your "tuning", not a skeptic just curiuos. Our group seemed fairly comparable last year (doos vs. poos)but I haven't been out this year

By tuning I mean a few minor mods that proved to work extremely well together. And "comparible" is exactly what I meant by "hang" with any of the other sleds out there. Dont get me wrong my Poo didnt destroy anyone. Also, we were not highmarking eachother, we were drag racing up hill probably 1000' in length. My minor mods are as follows but it was really the clutching that stood out most: Full SLP pipe set, SLP airhorn, Firenice intake, PCIII with #'s recommended by Jim at Dynotech for the elevation I was running at, SLP clutching(68g MTX weights, green/pink primary spring, 62-42-.46 helix).

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
i dont care what sled is better but i dont like arcticat i i dont think a well setup cat or polaris will touch a well setup xp. those xps are climbers atleast the ones around here are

I would have to agree that when the snow gets deep, the XP gets the nod. I am NOT a Doo fan, but I have been dug out of the deep by my bud on the XP parked above me enough times to know.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
that they are there are a couple 174 xps here that climb like a sob. if i was to buy another sled and stay n/a would be an xp but i dont plan on staying n/a for very long

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.

I ride with several D7s and D8s, my brother owns both and I get to ride them a lot, plus my other buddys,
I ride a 2006 900 RMK 166 and 03 800 RMK 159" and I like the polaris product.
I was trying to summarize and put into perspective my overall observation.
I don't see the ("typical mentality of this forum") in what I was trying to say.

Premium Features