• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Official Statement on 2017 Gen 4 sleds

N
Oct 25, 2009
I just got off the phone with BRP...They said they are aware but probably won't have an update till later this fall! Your Dealer is the one to talk to as they will get the updated info Directly from BRP

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well if later in the fall is true,,,,
that is definitely not awesome...............

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
BRP update/recall ?

Way to handle the clutching issues that some people have & some don't. The new belt was a given I just figured they would actually take a stab at the problem. I would say the belt was 15% of the problem. Most of the people that own an 850 will never have belt issues because they don't ride them hard enough. Every1 thinks they are the hardcore boondocking tight line pulling WFO for over 5 min riders. But maybe out of every 100 sleds sold 50 have clutching/alignment issues and maybe out of those 50 sleds only 12 are ran hard enough to realize the problem. BRP should address the problem for every 2017 850. My old man said it best, you buy a brand new car with a 5 speed trans and it won't go into 5th gear or breaks parts. You take it back and it gets fixed. Give me a snowmobile that the motor runs as advertised & clutching that engages & goes into full shift OD. And I will do my best to bounce it of trees/rocks break parts and swap engine and clutching parts out to get that last mythical 20% out of er.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The bulletin for 2018 says the new bracing helps with cooling. Any idea how?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Won't really do much, since the whole front nose cone gets blocked/ plugged with ice and snow as soon as you hit the deep snow....

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
G4 Fixes

Here is what I found as a release of information by BRP. Go to their website:Community:On Track....Then below the write ups of ambassadors....
2018 Ski-Doo Summit/Freeride Driveline Update and 2017 Belt Durability Improvements
You might recall that for Model Year 2018, BRP announced changes to Ski-Doo REV Gen4 snowmobiles proven to increase drive belt durability – these are recapped here:

New gearing (Summit and Freeride)
New belt
Better cooling in CVT compartment - New Clutch cover with improved flow
Revised PTO and MAG engine mounts
Revised CVT Calibration
Finned fixed pDrive sheave
Frame reinforcement (directs air flow for better cooling) on mountain sleds
Also, as promised, we are updating you on steps we’ve taken for Model Year 2017 REV Gen4 owners that experienced early belt failure, and those are outlined below.

While the vast majority of 2017 owners did not experience an issue related to drive belt life, there was a considerable amount of buzz surrounding belts and heat last season. We want owners to know that Ski-Doo is being proactive and transparent in addressing any real or potential issue well before your next riding season. Furthermore, as the OEM it’s our job to deliver on our product promises - and that’s why we’re reaching out to you today.

For Summit 2017 REV Gen4 owners who’ve experienced early belt failure, BRP will provide the following updates:

Gear ratio change (21 top/53 bottom)
PTO Engine Mount Shims
Those updates will be available at no cost for the customer on both 154” and 165” platforms. Combined with the new belt (part number 417 300 531), they will significantly improve belt life and lower driveline temperatures.

Note that other MY18 improvements shown below are backwards compatible and can also be installed on MY17 snowmobiles at the owner’s discretion and expense. Contact your dealer for more information.

Crossover and Trail sleds:

Even though most drive belt issues were related to mountain use, early drive belt failure can also sometimes occur on crossover and trail models in very specific riding conditions.

BRP has made the following options available on MY17 MXZ and Renegade models, listed here in order of effectiveness based on our testing. These are available at the owner’s discretion and expense:

Contact your dealer for more information on those upgrades.

We will always work towards the goal of zero issues for our awesome customers. We appreciate your business and will continue to earn it each day. Thank you!

Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Email
COMMERCIAL & GOVERNMENT
HELP ME CHOOSE
BUILD & PRICE
GET A QUOTE

S
Jun 3, 2009
Revelstoke
I only come on here like once a year, but I figured I'd just list everything that went wrong on my 2017. I had more issues than every year prior put together, but, this is the best riding sled ever made, i call it the best piece of $*** out there. And I didn't hesitate for a second ordering my 2018

In 3700kms:

-9 belts
-4 electric RAVE motors
-2 pipes
-9 lugs off the track and every single other one cracked. Need to run the thing guitar string tight to not ratchet
-new clutches after Y-pipe bolts backed out and chewed them up
-Both running boards broke
-Connecting rod though the bottom of the case at 1600kms
-T-motion mount that broke at a weld and cost me an aftermarket shock going through the track. (mount is made way to thin and lightweight)
-Recoil bolts falling out
-melted brake rotor(no i did not leave the park on)
-22 jugs of oil. Worst oil usage in any sled I've ever seen. Ran 20:1 when bashing trees

No broke bulkeads for me, and it was crashed a million times

Dealer support was amazing. Kept me going as quick as possible and warrantied everything everytime. Can't thank them enough.

Not one of these items have the same part number for 2018 as 2017, so you all know fixes are being made. Still the best sled ever made, just need the engineers to listen to the riders who test them

18620318_10210502410330665_4353867659270848491_n.jpg

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I heard the BRP guy that came on this forum was fired... Had no authority to come on here and the hire ups were livid that he did so. What's the word Christopher? Did you get someone fired? :face-icon-small-win

B
Feb 18, 2009
I only come on here like once a year, but I figured I'd just list everything that went wrong on my 2017. I had more issues than every year prior put together, but, this is the best riding sled ever made, i call it the best piece of $*** out there. And I didn't hesitate for a second ordering my 2018

In 3700kms:

-9 belts
-4 electric RAVE motors
-2 pipes
-9 lugs off the track and every single other one cracked. Need to run the thing guitar string tight to not ratchet
-T-motion mount that broke at a weld and cost me an aftermarket shock going through the track. (mount is made way to thin and lightweight)
-22 jugs of oil. Worst oil usage in any sled I've ever seen. Ran 20:1 when bashing trees

Dealer support was amazing. Kept me going as quick as possible and warrantied everything everytime. Can't thank them enough.

Not one of these items have the same part number for 2018 as 2017, so you all know fixes are being made. Still the best sled ever made, just need the engineers to listen to the riders who test them

How is it that you had 2 defective pipes?

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario

In 3700kms:

-9 belts
-4 electric RAVE motors
-2 pipes

How many frequent flyer miles did you use .:rockon::rockon:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I heard the BRP guy that came on this forum was fired... Had no authority to come on here and the hire ups were livid that he did so. What's the word Christopher? Did you get someone fired? :face-icon-small-win
YOU HEARD WRONG.
Corporate had me create his account with the express intent of him doing exactly what he did.

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Why is the 2018 summits listed with higher gearing vs updated 2017 summits?

2018 :
19 (154” - 175”) 21 (165”)
45 (154”) 51 (165”) 49 (175”)

Updated 2017 :
21/53

And with this statement its in Ski-Doos own words not fixed before the new belt is installed. Same belt Ski-Doo dont offer for free in the update. Nice fix...

Gear ratio change (21 top/53 bottom)
PTO Engine Mount Shims
Those updates will be available at no cost for the customer on both 154” and 165” platforms. Combined with the new belt (part number 417 300 531), they will significantly improve belt life and lower driveline temperatures.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
They probably haven't changed the website..

The info that is listed on 2018s was posted back in April, long before the "fix" was created.

I'd be interested to see whats actually inside the chaincases of the 18s though.

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Looked at a parts list and they listed 21/ and 49-51-53. 154-165-175 mabye?

And now the 154 2017 update gearing is the lowest it goes. The same as the new 175. If its true. The 21/53 for the 154 17' is 100% sure.

Premium Features