• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Breaking In

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I've read a bunch of posts and it seems that everybody is having problems with their 800 engines. It seems that every time I read one everybody is putting oil in the gas tank to break in the motor. I live in AK and when I went to pick up my sled, 2010 155 800 RMk Dragon, the dealer said specifically DONT ADD ANY OIL TO THE GAS FOR BREAK IN. THE DEALER SAID THAT IT CAN CAUSE THE INJECTORS TO BOG OR GO BAD AND CAN ALSO CAUSE THE PLUGS TO FOUL OUT, BUT THEY DID SAY TAKE IT EASY ON THE FIRST RIDE. I have Vforce reeds, an SLP can, and used 91 octane fuel on my first ride, and DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS at all, no bogging, no hiccups, or cutting out. Why would all the other dealers say to do that but not mine. I read only 2 or 3 other posts where someone said they didn't add any oil either and they had zero problems.

My buddy has an arctic cat M8 2008 and he went to the dealer with me when I picked up my sled and he thought that was a little strange also (adding no oil to the fuel for break in). Well, he was looking in his arctic cat manual and for the M8's it says to add oil to the gas for break in, but for the M1000's it says NOT to add oil for break in. I did look in the polaris manual and it does say to add oil, but the dealer still said not to.

I dont know if the injectors are more sensative, or if the motors are more sensative, or if its just engineered that way. Who knows, hope this helps. My personal belief for all the engine problems everyone is having is premixed fuel.

wang11

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Idaho Falls, Id
I also noticed that is seemed that every one that premixed had the problem. I'm not saying that is the total problem, i dont have the motor knowledge to make a statement like that. Although, it does seem repititious about premixing and motor hiccups, at least on the posts on snow west. Does any one know if the factory has put some oil in the tank already or the dealer? I would guess the factory has got to run your motor a little before sending out to dealer. I have a 700 so not that worried and have not rode it yet. But i am not going to add oil to the tank. Just heat cycles in garage 3 times, then a track stand. I just make sure on the track stand and warm up that my oil has dropped. If it goes down well got money out of the warranty;);):cool::rolleyes::p

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Polaris says add oil and pays for it as part of the 2010 warranty update....so I'd say your dealer is wrong. Oil is probably more important on a new engine break-in because of the crank bearings and wrist pin bearings where we are only breaking in the rings with the 10 update. But extra lube on the piston skirts is a good idea too.
Sure extra oil in the gas hurts performance a little but Injectors, bogging, plugging???????????
Oops didn't notice that you have a new 2010....double bad dealer advice. Lots if not all mfct's say add oil to the gas for new engine break-in.

Last edited:
J

jholer

Dec 9, 2007
Jackson, WY
Maybe the dealer told you not to add oil to the first tank because they already did as part of their setup. That's what mine did anyway. They had about a gallon of gas in the tank, but added enough premix oil so that when I filled it for the first time the ratio would be correct for break in. If you added oil on top of them adding oil, well then you might have some richness issues;..... but a ruined motor, I don't know.

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
There should have been a tag on the gas tank under the gas cap from the factory instructing you to add oil. If it wasn't on your new sled your dealer removed the factory Polaris tag before giving you the sled. I added oil as instructed by Polaris and my awesome dealer, Hatcher Pass Polaris. Mine did have a mid range stumble but not sure if it was just because of the oil or if from the full SLP exhaust and SLP intake kit. It seemed a lot better on the second tank but only got about 10 miles on the second tank so time will tell if the bog goes away or not.

FWIW there are some Polaris dealers here in Alaska that are full of **** and you can't believe anything they say. Not sure where you bought yours from but maybe they are right and hopefully your sled continues to run perfect.

Keep us posted and if your in southcentral we should hook up for a ride.

Matt

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Had the update done to my 08 D8, very reputable dealer, asked them about adding oil and they said they already put it in the tank and just to fill it up (I had drained the "old" stabil-ized gas the week before). Had not run it yet, then I get a letter in the mail from Polaris stating to premix the first tank after the update AND to run an oil tank of Polaris Blue semi-synthetic as well. So I stopped in and asked them about it, they said it would be a good idea but it is a pain to remove the Gold from the oil tank. I said I had a suction gun and they said it would be a good idea to go ahead and do it, and sold me just enough bulk blue to refill the injection tank (.7 gallons?). I have not run it yet though. I am sure it'll run rich on the oil, but since they are warrantying the updates for the whole season I doubt it will cause any problems with injectors or anything. The owners manual supplement letter they sent also mentioned about the premium / ethanol wires. Planning on leaving those unhooked until the new top end is broken in even though I don't run oxy fuels...

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I've read a bunch of posts and it seems that everybody is having problems with their 800 engines. It seems that every time I read one everybody is putting oil in the gas tank to break in the motor. I live in AK and when I went to pick up my sled, 2010 155 800 RMk Dragon, the dealer said specifically DONT ADD ANY OIL TO THE GAS FOR BREAK IN. THE DEALER SAID THAT IT CAN CAUSE THE INJECTORS TO BOG OR GO BAD AND CAN ALSO CAUSE THE PLUGS TO FOUL OUT, BUT THEY DID SAY TAKE IT EASY ON THE FIRST RIDE. I have Vforce reeds, an SLP can, and used 91 octane fuel on my first ride, and DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS at all, no bogging, no hiccups, or cutting out. Why would all the other dealers say to do that but not mine. I read only 2 or 3 other posts where someone said they didn't add any oil either and they had zero problems.

My buddy has an arctic cat M8 2008 and he went to the dealer with me when I picked up my sled and he thought that was a little strange also (adding no oil to the fuel for break in). Well, he was looking in his arctic cat manual and for the M8's it says to add oil to the gas for break in, but for the M1000's it says NOT to add oil for break in. I did look in the polaris manual and it does say to add oil, but the dealer still said not to.

I dont know if the injectors are more sensative, or if the motors are more sensative, or if its just engineered that way. Who knows, hope this helps. My personal belief for all the engine problems everyone is having is premixed fuel.

Who does this? It says it in the manual as well. But I think everyone believes a handful out there that say ride it like you stole it. :eek:

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
oil in gas

picked up my updated 09 800 switchback,dealer said do not add oil in tank as update instructions does not call for any.

P
Nov 29, 2007
Polaris says add oil and pays for it as part of the 2010 warranty update....so I'd say your dealer is wrong. Oil is probably more important on a new engine break-in because of the crank bearings and wrist pin bearings where we are only breaking in the rings with the 10 update. But extra lube on the piston skirts is a good idea too.
Sure extra oil in the gas hurts performance a little but Injectors, bogging, plugging???????????
Oops didn't notice that you have a new 2010....double bad dealer advice. Lots if not all mfct's say add oil to the gas for new engine break-in.

FYI - Polaris does not reimburse dealers for oil, filters, spark plugs or fuel.

M

MTB02

Aug 2, 2009
park city, ut
I picked up my 2010 assault from the dealer and he had already premixed the oil in the gas for me.... I went out riding took it easy for the first 75 miles but as soon as I got to 100 miles, check engine light came on and it went into limp mode. My sleds been in the shop for a week now and no word. Cross your fingers its just a hick up....

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
I have always added a little bit of oil to every tank I run through my sleds, like a cup to a tank. When I pulled my own 09 apart it still had crosshatch and not a single sign of any abnormal wear. It is part of any engine work to run some oil in the tank to aid in bedding in the new parts as there will be more friction initially as the rings become seated. Also when the oiling system is disturbed bubbles tend to be introduced into the system possibly causing issues. Also anytime the sled is tipped over or rolls bubbles can enter the system. Any dealer who says they didn't add oil because the directions didn't say to is full of it, the reason its not stated is because its a given that you add oil anytime you put new moving parts inside an engine.
As for everyone blaming oil for early running issues I don't believe it for a second, unless you are super ritch on oil. If anything a small amount of oil is good for the injectors, as fuel has a lot less lubricity than days gone by.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
i just picked up my 2010 polaris dragon 163 yesterday and they had already added the oil to my tank they told me polaris ind calls for it. After reading a few replys to this subjuct i looked at my owners manual and it also say to add oil to the tank for the 1st tank as part of the break in period. The manual says to add one pint of polaris injection oil for each 5gallons of fuel

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I recieved this letter from Polaris almost 2 months after the update was done.

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

Premium Features