• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

apex with 290 kit, quick question

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
what the heck?

All right, this is a significant thought to get straight before the snow flies!

To get best performance without going to the route of upgrading the system to the new MCX specs, a guy almost has to carry a GPS to grab altitude information, a chart of boost vs. altitude, and tweak from there?

The other way if I am reading this all right is to go get my boost gage zero'd at sea level , and just aim for 12psi gage pressure everywhere we go. It will read some vacuum when the engine is off at altitude, then just shoot for 12psi using the manual boost controller.

Thanks for the info, really has me thinking that I wasn't running my sled near as hard as I could have been - like leaving quite a bit of power on the table.

sea level absolute pressure = 14.7 psi

6000 ft altitude absolute pressure = 11.8 psi <--we ride around here a lot.

Delta = 14.7-11.8 = 2.9 psi

I am having trouble posting etc, sorry for these partial posts...

This is all based on the kit being capable of 12psi at sea level.....A guy should be able to zero his guage at sea level, then adjust to 12psi everywhere you go. Anyhoo feel free to correct me/school me/beat me up/etc.

Anyone wanna check my math?

Cheers,
Pistonbroke

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if your riding at 6000 feet and atmospheric is 11.8 then you can run 14.9(above atmospheric at elev) and theoreticly be about identical to 12# at see level. only issue as you crank boost for elevation is turbo ability to keep more pressure, if your sized properly, it shouldnt be a big issue.

but i think your pretty on the money with zero for sea level if you can, and then shoot for 12 psi on the gauge. just add race gas and crank the boost knob til ya run out of rpm... or gearing.

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
right on

Yeah, should be ok, I'm running the 2006 MCX kit "310 kit" with the Mitsu 16T turbo.

I'm thinking I'll chase the boost with altitude this year and dump a little race or av gas in every day as insurance against detonation.

Thanks fellas!

Pistonbroke

Premium Features