• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A Backup Sled combination wife sled would you buy a Phazer

G
Oct 18, 2002
Yes, I'm greedy and want to have two sleds around so if I do go down I'm not out.

I've been leaning towards another 800 Rev, that for sure will make me happy if I have issues or the second choice is a Phazer. Not really what I want but is it going to be a better option for her and maybe in turn make it a little more fun so she wants to go rather than feeling like she should go?

Ladies feel free to chime in, I'd like to see this girl get some more excitment in her life, right now it's all about taking care of the kids and I. It's great but I think she needs more.

Plus she's a great photographer, I've taught her everything she knows.

Brady

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
The quick answer is No. Unless you are an eastern trail rider and want to get her started from no experience at all.

Griz I don't know you, but assume you are a western mountain rider.

To make it fun get her, get a good sled that makes riding easy. Something past 03 basically or even newer like the M series or whatever brand you want. Light, good length track, solid power no less than a strong 600, 700 is better.

Unless you seriously can't afford it right now.... but since you mentioned the 800 Rev I assume you can.

My wife rides really well and loves the sport. She started on a Phazer in 94 or 95. She has logged over 3500 miles on her 06 M7 and it really changed the way she rides, and her comfort. We boonie everywhere now.

So get a great sled that works for her. Make sure it has some power. It is very uncomfortable for the Mrs to have to hit a hill hauling butt to get up it.

And Great gear that keep her comfortable.

Get the best for her and take your time and you will have a riding partner for life. We've been married 40 years and Mrs. Kong rides dirt bikes, ATV's, SxS's, PWC's, water skis, etc. But she never did any of this at first, and was afraid to tackle it. Not any more. She is one of the better riders in our snowmobile club of 100. Better than many guys.

BTW: If she hates it, screaming NO... you can sell a good sled easily.

Good luck.

IMHO

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
My wife highly prefers the M7's...and with my new Nytro, she finally just took it out for a spin without me even being around...e-start is a great thing....So, I would suggest either route, that you get what she is comfy with...and since your wife is about the same build as my wife...I would not suggest the Rev, my wife and similar women cannot get comfy on it...

I would lean toward a Nytro MTX (get them cheap now), Phazer Mountain, or M-series...

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
mtn Phazers are kinda top heavy and tippy, if she flops it you will have to be there to right it for her. not to mention woefully underpowered for any hills. my buddy bought an '08 for his first sled, he's trading it off next fall. and that nifty guage pod that has the reverse and everything is around $500 to replace, easily wipes off being the highest thing on the sled. took an hour of digging around to find it after he broke it off.....he has since remounted it below the bars, the plastic housing is replaceable tho. get a 600, 700, or 800 2 smoker. she will thank you, and you will have a decent backup sled.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
For a cheap backup sled, I kept my 99 RMK700. It goes most places the new ones do and still starts on the 1st pull hot or cold with over 6,000 miles. Only time it's ever let me down is when I broke a starter rope and popped the water pump belt....Dunno if your wife would like it, but mine does....

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
Oh yeah we put an electric start on her M7 for Christmas 07. She really loves it. She is so light and the sled is so light figured the weight of starter wouldn't matter on that sled. And it didn't.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I dont know if it fits in your pocketbook...but it would be hard to beat an 08 polaris 600 rmk..155 ..awesome sled weather on trail or off..great economy as well as power...and it can compete admirably well with the bigger sleds...I bought my 15 yr old son one for x-mass and it is the sled everyone wants to ride when we take breaks...weather its on the trail, in the powder or climbing,,there is nothing this sled doesnt do with style....

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
06 & up 600 would be great. Mine is in swap meet, but Im not giving it away there are some deals on these sleds.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Brady.....absolutely! If she just wants to hang with you and enjoy getting out the Phazer is great, especially with the electric start. A stock Nytro would give her more hp though. If you, and she, wants to become a better rider, however, I don't think it's the best sled for her. I'd go with a Nytro, 600 or 700 sled! Just my 2 bits!

P.S. tell the fam. hi for us!

edit: If you don't think she'll be riding much.....her sled should be your back up! My wife has a T-Dragon, and doesn't even know it! LOL! I told her I put a hair dryer on her sled and she thinks I'm just trying to be funny! LMPhAO!!!

Last edited:
E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
Don't do it!! We have one in our group and the wifes and kids HATE IT and won't ride it unless all of the other 10 sleds are being ridden. It's a under powered, tippy, diving, slow, wierd feeling ATV ride. The running boards are way to short and when you let off the throttle you hit the handle bars.

If you and your wife like to spend quality time on the end of a shovel it's fine but your buddys will be pissed at you for trying to keep up on that piece of crap as your back up.

Buy a light weight 600 from Doo, Poo or Cat and put an electric start and you will never look back. IMO.

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
NO NO NO NO NO - we rode one day in a little bit of powder (a foot maybe) and that crappy phazer was stuck all day! Take it from a woman, if you want her to enjoy herself, buy what you would like to have for a backup and she will learn to ride it. Arctic Cat M sled or Polaris IQ I believe would be much better options as they are easy to learn to ride and have good power stock out of the box.

:) 2fun

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Ditto what Tammy just said. NO NO NO NO

Get her something she has a fighting chance of getting to where you want to go, with out having to be WFO all the time. Phazer= 80hp at what weight?? Don't do it. lol

I wanted a Nytro this year, but won't be able to get a turbo right away. So, I did the math. Stock Nytro 135 hp at 585#s or stock Dragon with 140hp at 490#s....

Rode an 06 Rev for 3 days in powder and MAN... very very fun sled. If that is your next choice after the Phazer, get the Rev. Lighter = more nimble = more fun to most ladies.

my .02cents.........

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
I am using my husbands name, so don't hold what I say against him. I just snowchecked the new 09' Assault for myself and as his backup sled. I started out on a 99 550 RMK and loved it, and I am a descent rider, but as we got into deeper snow, I had to really work to not get stuck and when I did, I wasn't happy. He has always made it fun for me and has always been there to help me. In looking at the machines last year and this year, the Assault was the best choice for me, and now with the new track offer, it will be a great all around sled and a new toy for him, the only stipulation is that he can not do any changes to it.
Thanks for letting me chime in and give my 2 cents.
Diana

My wife has a 07 phazer and likes it. She is a beginner so it's just fine for her to tag along and have fun. That's all she wants to do,she's not into climbing or anything yet. So for her it works. She is very small framed gal and the only problem we have is getting it to turn right. To light on the front end or something. Just need to dial in the suspension for her. I rode it out west last year when mine broke down and had fun on it. No it doesn't climb very good, nor is it made for the super deep, but there was a foot of fresh and i just spent the day jumping in the trees. Was it fun, yeah, would i buy it solely for my backup sled, no. There is alot better out there for me, but the wife likes it and that's who it's for. Good luck.

Premium Features