• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ethanol free fuel

rideon

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Bountiful, Ut
Noticed a sign advertising ethanol free fuel today. Had to check it out. Here are the details. Location is Thomas fuel/chemicals which is just west of exit 315 in woods cross. The ethanol fuel they have is from the Sinclair refinery. It the the premium fuel before they add the ethanol and blend it. Down side is that since the ethanol increases octane, this fuel is only 88. I am thinking that it will be fine at altitude in all but the turbos and very high compression motors but I could be wrong. Nice to have the option to keep the corn out of my small engines!

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
Just my opinion. This ethanol scare is much ado about nothing. My sled eats it up just fine. Looking forward to the season starting. Ryan we need to hit the plant this year again.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
It's not how your sled eats it up. It's more about how ethanol eats your sled. :face-icon-small-sho

rideon

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Bountiful, Ut
Jed-you may be right, but if you have the option, why not? Ethanol's shelf life alone is a cause for concern. Pray for a good snow year. Need to end this upcoming year with over 1500 miles on my new machine.....

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
I was going to post about Silver Eagle in Heber. That's on the way to my cabin so I'm very happy about that. Also in Island Park ID, Phillips at Elk Creek has ethanol free Premium for those/us that ride up there too.

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Just my opinion. This ethanol scare is much ado about nothing. My sled eats it up just fine. Looking forward to the season starting. Ryan we need to hit the plant this year again.

With all do respect, if you think ethanol is okay, you don't know the facts!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Jed-you may be right, but if you have the option, why not? Ethanol's shelf life alone is a cause for concern. Pray for a good snow year. Need to end this upcoming year with over 1500 miles on my new machine.....

Better let me borrow that new sled if you want 1500 miles.:face-icon-small-ton

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
I stopped in there today. $3.85 a gallon. It's in a pay at the pump with 2 lower grades that contain ethanol. Splash a little in your rig so you know you get all the ethanol out of the blender/pump. They also have VP 110 NON ETHANOL. I drove up to Ogden last year only to find out Kellerstraus's 110 had ethanol in it. So I had the Thomson guy call his VP rep and confirm their 110 was eth free and it is!!

And for those that think ethanol is no big deal stop into your local NAPA store an ask them how many fuel pumps they have sold in the last year compared to the last 10 years. Ethanol is the devil especially to fuel that sits!! I lost 2 wks of boating this summer because of ethanol fuel! There wasn't a fuel pump for my boat anywhere(everyone was sold out!). Only thing that saved me from waiting a month and waisting $800 for a fuel pump was an enzyme based fuel additive called star bright that I used to treat the last 2 gallons of snot that I wasn't able to pump out. I also used lots of Sea Foam to clean my injectors while I ran out the last of the junk.

Thanks Rideon for the post!!!

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Ethanol blows. I don't store much fuel anymore because it goes bad so fast. Smells like Ether after a while. Cost me a motor last year. :face-icon-small-sad

There are some very good articles out there that people should read. I run marine stabilizer in every tank now. Well maybe not now since the Pro's are set up for it. :)

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
You may be right on the fuel pump thing........last I checked the only guys who should be concerned about that is the Yammy guys.

Sled=No fuel pump. At least not in the electrical car sense.

I am just going based off of proof. All of the readings out there are related to cars. It may be true for cars but I have yet to see a motor failure that can be directly attributed to ethanol and not some other reason.

Same thing with oil. Everyone has their preference, but the reality is there just really isn't a whole ton of difference between them. You are going to have to tear down your high performance 800 engine at 4,000 miles or sooner either way.

Besides there is no snow yet. Have to debate about something!!

Last edited:
D
Sep 20, 2009
Ogden
More ethanol free fuel in Ogden at the Jardine pumps on 1900 west by the Cal-Ranch! The only thing is it comes in one grade of 88 octane.

Would it be better to run 88 octane without ethanol or 91 octane with ethanol in our sleds?

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Quick lesson on E10 gas found all over our county.

These are made up numbers, but correct percentages.

1 gallon of pure gasoline has 100 BTU's (energy units)

1 gallon of pure ethanol has 33 BTU's

When you use the ethanol switch in your Poo's, it de-tunes the motor to adjust for the reduction in energy (BTU's)

So basically, E10 gas has 93% efficiency compared to pure gas at 100% efficiency.

I think it's 100X better to run 88 octane E free gas than E10

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
You may be right on the fuel pump thing........last I checked the only guys who should be concerned about that is the Yammy guys.

Sled=No fuel pump. At least not in the electrical car sense.

I am just going based off of proof. All of the readings out there are related to cars. It may be true for cars but I have yet to see a motor failure that can be directly attributed to ethanol and not some other reason.

Same thing with oil. Everyone has their preference, but the reality is there just really isn't a whole ton of difference between them. You are going to have to tear down your high performance 800 engine at 4,000 miles or sooner either way.

Besides there is no snow yet. Have to debate about something!!

Jed, you want to debate? I'm game.
Of course most studies have been related to cars. Search some related to small engines or worse yet outbourd boat motors. It is the moisture inharant to boat motors and snowmobiles that mixes with fuel and destroys fuel pumps and related.
By the way Cats have an electric pump just like cars do.:face-icon-small-hap

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Quick lesson on E10 gas found all over our county.

These are made up numbers, but correct percentages.

1 gallon of pure gasoline has 100 BTU's (energy units)

1 gallon of pure ethanol has 33 BTU's

When you use the ethanol switch in your Poo's, it de-tunes the motor to adjust for the reduction in energy (BTU's)

So basically, E10 gas has 93% efficiency compared to pure gas at 100% efficiency.

I think it's 100X better to run 88 octane E free gas than E10

I'd say it's about 7% better.

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
Yeah, x2 for me on the boat fuel pump. Just dropped $650 to have mine replaced. Mechanic said it's a common occurance due to Ethanol.

Have you bitch-slapped your neighborhood tree hugger today?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
octane booster

Why not get the ethanol free 88, and then throw some octane booster in it if needed?

Premium Features