• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Pipes

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Bought a set of SLP pipes for my XLT on ebay for 20 bucks. They have the 3 individual siliencers but are missing the flanges which I still can get through SLP. My question is should I put these on my XLT 600? I bought them because I figured I could make some cash on them, but I've read good and bad about piping these XLT's. This sled will be used primarily on trails only and used as a extra sled for guests. I want reliability over performance. Sled has 4k miles and as far as I know the crank has not been welded. The sled is a 97 RMK so not sure if that year was known for issues.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
97 is probably the safest of all years to pipe. Best oiling of the bearings and the crank seemed to be sturdier. I wouldnt hesitate to do it.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So does anyone have an idea how much increased horsepower I will see? I've heard lots of different numbers. And how is the power distributed differently from low to top end?

T
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George, BC
www.cap-it.com
Can't tell you the numbers but you NEED pipes on that engine. It is impressive how different they run when piped. Of course you don't just bolt on a set of pipes and light it up. You'll need to do a little jetting and some clutch set up. I always ran mine a little fat. Cheaper to change a plug than burn a jug.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I'm not installing them myself, I'm having my mechanic install them. He has done them before so he says he knows what Jets to run and clutching. Therefore he said he dosn't need to tune on the snow. Seems like most people I've talked to say you need to tune on the hill when running pipes? What do most of you guys do? I'm glad to hear that these pipes are going to make a big difference.

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
About the same as stock?

Just on the bottom end, like around 5-6000 rpm the pipes will put out about the same as stock for hp. The pipes give the big gains from about 7500-9000 rpm. Thats mainly how these pipes give so much extra hp is by changing the running rpm from 8000 to 9000 rpm. But they do make the little triples fun.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So from my understanding there is two different styles of SLP pipes for the XLT's. The one I purchased looks to have 3 individual stingers into one outlet. What is the difference between the two and which is better?

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
slp pipes

The ones you have are the same as mine, they have 3 indidual stingers going into a 3-to-1 collector. I think this is an older style, the ones they show in an old catalog from 2006 shows the three pipes going into the one can.

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/technical.cfm?subID=14 lists the different tripple pipe sets from SLP. I think the set you and I have is the 09-595 set, but I could swear the stingers on the pipes are smaller on mine than what is pictured in the last picture....

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
The ones you have are the same as mine, they have 3 indidual stingers going into a 3-to-1 collector. I think this is an older style, the ones they show in an old catalog from 2006 shows the three pipes going into the one can.

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/technical.cfm?subID=14 lists the different tripple pipe sets from SLP. I think the set you and I have is the 09-595 set, but I could swear the stingers on the pipes are smaller on mine than what is pictured in the last picture....

How do you like your pipes on your sled?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Got the pipes yesterday and for 20 bucks I can't go wrong. My mechanic has to do a couple minor mods to make them fit but he said the condition wasn't bad. He talked me into taking the motor out and Pulling the crank and welding it as well as check all the bearings and seals. Sounded like a no brainer after hearing all the problems with the XLT's when piping them.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
How do you like your pipes on your sled?

They were on the machine when I bought it. The sled has plenty of oompf to get me where I want to go, I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs and it scoots right along. Great accelaration, got that nice throatty growl when you get on it. SLP makes a great product and their customer support is top notch!

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
They were on the machine when I bought it. The sled has plenty of oompf to get me where I want to go, I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs and it scoots right along. Great accelaration, got that nice throatty growl when you get on it. SLP makes a great product and their customer support is top notch!

Do you take that sled in powder? I've always heard those sleds are tanks and will get stuck unless heavily modified. Even with a good rider on board.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
my $.02

I have ridden the sled in powder, and it does as good as a 20-something year old chassis design with a "long" track on it will do. Back in the day the 133/136 track was the big track to have. Will it blow the top out of every mountain, probably not (unless someone VERY skilled is riding). Is it heavy, to a point yes, but no where near as heavy as a four stroke. "Always stuck" depends a lot on the rider, snow conditions, engine power, track legnth/track design, along with weight.

Sure a lighter/newer sled with a longer track and more more HP would be great, but for right now with what sled I can afford and with my skill level, my XLT is all I need. I do have plans to put a longer 141 track I have (or maybe ??) and a set of SLP heads I bought off of Ebay on it when I get the money and time (in that order). I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Polaris Wedge chassis.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I have ridden the sled in powder, and it does as good as a 20-something year old chassis design with a "long" track on it will do. Back in the day the 133/136 track was the big track to have. Will it blow the top out of every mountain, probably not (unless someone VERY skilled is riding). Is it heavy, to a point yes, but no where near as heavy as a four stroke. "Always stuck" depends a lot on the rider, snow conditions, engine power, track legnth/track design, along with weight.

Sure a lighter/newer sled with a longer track and more more HP would be great, but for right now with what sled I can afford and with my skill level, my XLT is all I need. I do have plans to put a longer 141 track I have (or maybe ??) and a set of SLP heads I bought off of Ebay on it when I get the money and time (in that order). I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Polaris Wedge chassis.

I'll let you know how mine turns out. I'm going to keep it stock except for slp pipe. slp skis, dragon seat. I'm only 145lbs so this sled should take care of me just fine.

Premium Features