• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calibrating TPS without TPS tester

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I needed to check and calibrate the TPS on my Dragon, but it doesn’t have the plug with orange and brown wires like the Pro and Axys. What to do? After spending some quality time with the wiring diagram in the service manual, I figured it out, and you don’t need a TPS tester to calibrate the TPS. You just need a good quality multimeter and a 12v power source.

Put 12v into the pink wire on the diagnostic plug, ground to the black/ dark blue in the same plug. Then follow the same procedure as the Pro or Axys. Back probe the # 10 wire (red/white) on the smaller ECU plug. You can use a sewing needle or safety pin to back probe, and do it carefully so as to not wreck the wire seal. You should have 4.99-5.01 volts at the #10 wire. Then back probe the # 23 wire (aqua) on the same plug. This is the return signal from the TPS. Back off the idle screw till the throttle blades bottom out, and adjust the TPS until it reads .700 volts. Snap the throttle a number of times to make sure it stays there. Then adjust the idle screw till you get .95 volts for 700s, and .93 for 800s. Again, snap the throttle a bunch of times to make sure it’s stable. Done!

An advantage of doing it this way is that you’re reading everything off the ECU, so you’re seeing what it sees. This helps eliminate wiring trouble between the TPS and ECU. And you don’t have to go buying a TPS tester. Make sure you have a good quality multimeter though. Don’t trust a cheapie for this. I check with a couple of meters to make sure.

Tim

Last edited:
Premium Features