• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Mountain Riding is REALLY Like (Video)

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Roger.

For me its a balance. I don't want the super heavy front end and wash-out-prone setup one gets when they suck their limiter in.

I also want to be able to lift my skis when need be.

This means I walk a delicate line. And yes, my sled will trench if I'm stupid with the flipper, if I ride far back on the boards or if the snow is super punchy (not much you can do about the last one - regardless of setup).

But yeah, when I get into trouble, you'll see the skis to the sky as it usually get steep and I usually panic. AKA I grab the flipper with everything it has to offer ;)

If you are not getting stuck, you are not riding hard enough.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
It appears post comprehension is lacking for some of you.

When you say someone goes into "the stupidest spots" it does come across in an adversarial manner.

My point was I like to ride with them. You must not ride with them much if...

I think I live in the same valley as JJ. I rode with him one day mid winter, this is assuming JJ is who I think he is, JJ, you were shooting photos of Max in the burnt trees on spring creek on the day in question, yea?

And just for the record, it's been since the early 2000's since I've been stuck. :peace:

Thats an unbelievable record right there! ;-)

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I think I live in the same valley as JJ. I rode with him one day mid winter, this is assuming JJ is who I think he is, JJ, you were shooting photos of Max in the burnt trees on spring creek on the day in question, yea?

Correct!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
And just for the record, it's been since the early 2000's since I've been stuck. :peace:

So that's when you stopped getting better then eh? Lol.

Joking aside, I've ridden with some pretty good riders. Guys that get paid to ride their snowmobile. Every single one of them got stuck multiple times while riding. Did they get stuck as stupidly as me? Absolutely not. Not even close. Lol. But yeah, citing your lack of stuckness as an indication of how good you are is like saying you are a great football player because you never touched the ground...

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho

Cool, I was on the black 18' 165", you let me ride your sled and I made it almost 60 feet before I tipped it over and fell off of it... But in my defense your new suspension still needed to be dialed in, or maybe the fact that I fell off that quick means I'm a good rider pushing the limits? I'm not sure how to argue this one :p My name is actually Mark, not jack as the screen name suggests.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Cool, I was on the black 18' 165", you let me ride your sled and I made it almost 60 feet before I tipped it over and fell off of it... But in my defense your new suspension still needed to be dialed in, or maybe the fact that I fell off that quick means I'm a good rider pushing the limits? I'm not sure how to argue this one :p My name is actually Mark, not jack as the screen name suggests.

Ah yeah, that was before the tom's setup. The stock Fox stuff needed some help. She's riding really good now, its still a turbo sled, and still won't be as playful as a stocker in mellow terrain.

Anyway, thanks for saying hi!

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
The opening 4 clips of the video are really the best, if those were on a loop I might die from laughing, the 3rd clip in particular with all the snow flying up into your face out from under the front of the tunnel, I can practically smell the exhaust when I watch that!

Premium Features