• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What sled to buy my wife

ttheat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
I'm looking to buy my wife a new sled. She doesn't have much experience. She is 5'2 112lb. She is not a very good or aggressive rider. Any recommendations.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Wife sled

3 options or 3 different riding agenda.
1- good excuse for you to get a really nice backup sled!!! if your ride hard and are down every once in a while not a bad way to go
2- try something new buy her something you have thought about buying. Whether it a different brand or a different version of what you currently ride. Try a shorter track or paddle or longer then what you currently own.
3- buy her a 600 146 or 154 either brand Polaris cat doo you can't go wrong they are all very low maintenance and very reliable.

If you wanted a 600 I would buy her that new summit x 600R E-TEC 154 x 2.5 that is going to be a really fun sled in that G4 chassis.

Or do what I'm doing 850 Freeride 137 x 2.25 pretty much my dream sled for jumping and boondocking if the snow conditions are less then 2' or if its deep I always trade off and on throughout the day with my girlfriend if I want to ride both sleds that day. Short tracks are a lot of fun when everyone in your group has long tracks. Really just depends on what you ride and how often your wife goes with you.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
intended use is important, as is area of the country, and snow type, i.e. heavy coastal vs dry, high altitude inland....my wife is also 5'2'' and not an aggressive rider, but will follow me until she rolls over or falls off, so i have to be careful where i take her....i'm in dry snow most of the time, 50% trail 50% easier off trail but frequently deep...i put her on a long track, 162-174, 2.5-3.0 inch lugs, she doesn't get stuck (i don't have to dig), 800 engine, she isn't going to take a run at a hill, she wants to approach carefully and add the power as she feels confident....needless to say, electric start...nice seat, good hand warmers, wind screen, easy steering....oh yeah, DEPENDABLE, cause i'm not going to get much help towing her out...anyway, these are the important points in my experience....one other thing, she's out there trying, help her and don't yell, be patient and you'll get good results and maybe laid :face-icon-small-ton

julians

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2010
Park City Ut
I bought my wife a 16 Skidoo 600 ETEC 154 2.5 inch lugs. She does pretty well on it on and off trail. She does better on my 850 165 off trail though, just easier to put on edge, but more tippy on trail.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The G4 850 in a 165 by 2.5 .

Most of the ladies we ride with and let try out the different sleds prefer the summit G4 it is simply an easy to ride forgiving sled. The T motion makes it smooth and forgiving in uneven terrain. If she is not aggressive a bigger track and more power will allow here to go slower and still not get stuck. My better halve switched from a 600 to a 850 now she barely ever gets stuck anymore. She only ever uses full throttle for that second when she is about to get stuck , but that one-second has sure saved me a lot of digging out.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm looking to buy my wife a new sled. She doesn't have much experience. She is 5'2 112lb. She is not a very good or aggressive rider. Any recommendations.

What kind of riding ... terrain ?

Suggest her to watch AMBER HOLT videos.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
739BEltzvjR12_cUaz2TQeaIt6XFbL232MpfIr07OhReif95K6hI4U-R4sCnIBIrMkah92dJy1JAuJtisqJQb6DawwAH3YDCttOmOL_Rc1CS3HpjDp3UdFJ5ug2FoifqUsWT0e37c4vBNfAGdOhlGrXFoDAkURqW6WW95mIxPKGdM_k0GrogzmIknN7h03NrPtymVQdp-_CfenpIRrlURPLNYDTE5Ydq_fW9d2jJJqT1Z-0CXEMTn1-VBJW5SEJ77qiicH-fDiydGOTFakJjAJc3PL2DsZ70w74f8_A8wlaCMew0SsKe4LRWUFJgVGMKE6bKtMVXJ3tgAH-Pnl5V5xKgfWykw0Vby-IfeOd2FFPWOzP7XJxKQT7Vh3_GJUzk9S8lD0BD-pYHVeG1_EA22GK8fAf9mlXjyalr0ilMrFNP9iZezAt_F4ReIcTvumjAuErieWM0q9a7PhrGuy_HfhtyKAOIgTLmk5A644SMcslxMGxNQEhF2QF-qi0G3St42clwVYsDZK_PRPrjJQcvFkcZs8eFIyXok8DHiKRJ4sZq5d8m3KMMwHUSW3zIf5cTI-EIcdHSVYssWotM2K_KiTNsZH0E85OwpBoiV3Y1d_g5gKYWg59Xg539NzTDGttgL1DQoDl5Zb5faWE8-x2piB6LyQCyBKMT=w1158-h772-no

Day 3 on a sled. Ever.

Just went through this...

100% happy with what (she) bought.

154" Summit 850 SP 2.5" track with Shot - $10.5K OTD with warranty.

1) SHOT is a game changer for a lighter rider. This is a no brainer.
2) 2.5" track is more user friendly. Especially at light weight. When teaching, the rider needs to learn to spin the track to "cut" into the snow. The 3" can often hook up too much, and can also lift the skis a bit much. Especially for a newer rider.
3) 850. Go for it. More motor is going to help her in the long run, and even in the short run its a better call. Easier to have fun on the deep days. Very user friendly power curve. Better resale.
4) 154. The longer tracks are great, but at her weight, it'll already have the float of a 175. Just set the suspension up right.
5) Drop the bar. This is huge. Go to a 2" riser and cut her bar down. This is a game changer for her.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
MY wife loves her 18 g4 850 154. She can ride the crap out of it. She is a much more technical rider now.

F
Mar 5, 2018
Got my wife a new 18 154 850 as well, and in one day was 10x the rider she was the last two years, mostly due to confidence, she just feels better on a skidoo than our previous set of Axys sleds. I struggled with length and chose the 154 3" thinking it would help prevent getting stuck since she never goes WOT and doesnt ride aggressive enough to get the skis up and doesnt climb much of anything considered steep, but she can if the need arises haha.

Anyway, its been an amazing choice for her and now I am green lighted to get my own new sled! Which after riding her 850 I am looking to get a 165 for myself and sell the Axys.

Curious about previous user mentioning the lower riser, I have thought about this but she says she is ok with how it is, but she doesnt know about tech stuff like this. She is 5'7, so I imagine a lower riser would help? Haven't really found much technical info for proper riser set up for body height...

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Got my wife a new 18 154 850 as well, and in one day was 10x the rider she was the last two years, mostly due to confidence, she just feels better on a skidoo than our previous set of Axys sleds. I struggled with length and chose the 154 3" thinking it would help prevent getting stuck since she never goes WOT and doesnt ride aggressive enough to get the skis up and doesnt climb much of anything considered steep, but she can if the need arises haha.

Anyway, its been an amazing choice for her and now I am green lighted to get my own new sled! Which after riding her 850 I am looking to get a 165 for myself and sell the Axys.

Curious about previous user mentioning the lower riser, I have thought about this but she says she is ok with how it is, but she doesnt know about tech stuff like this. She is 5'7, so I imagine a lower riser would help? Haven't really found much technical info for proper riser set up for body height...

I'm 6'2" and even I went lower. (5")

Think about this. Go to the gym, and go try and deadlift a certain amount. Now try and do the same lift but start with the bar off the ground so your elbows are extensively bent.

Which was easier?

No doubt a lower bar will help almost *every* rider be better. Yes, you can go too far (as I've done in the past), but riding with your knees bent and your arms a bit straighter is going to give you the most leverage.

For a woman, this is huge.

There are some cheap risers out there to try this with. Do it. Tell her to try for at least 1/2 day before making a decision...

EDIT: Check this video I cut of Jay's setup. https://www.facebook.com/SilberTurbos/videos/1632157883543698/ Jay is 6'1". Rides a 4" riser. He talks about it 3/4 through this.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Get your wife the sled that you want to ride! Then she can't throw down the "my sled aint got enough hp to go up and over into that beautiful untracked bowl". And you have a backup sled... it's a win win.

I had my wife on a 174, she loved it, putt around and seldom get stuck. And she could follow dang near anywhere we boondocked to. It was a beautiful thing....

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Don’t do it if you are a mountain rider. If you are a average to better rider she will never catch up. I see more bickering and fighting between couples on the mountain. Seems like it just turns into a huge negative. The learning curve on sleds is so high, strength and fitness are tough for a fit guy. A woman RARELY has the strength and toughness to be a decent mountain rider. Ya i know there are some good women riders. It’s pretty rare. I’d find something she’s good at and do that with her.
I know I’m going to get shelled for this but that’s my opinion backed up but experience.
Now if you like doing fun easy road rides in better weather that’s a different story.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Don’t do it if you are a mountain rider. If you are a average to better rider she will never catch up. I see more bickering and fighting between couples on the mountain. Seems like it just turns into a huge negative. The learning curve on sleds is so high, strength and fitness are tough for a fit guy. A woman RARELY has the strength and toughness to be a decent mountain rider. Ya i know there are some good women riders. It’s pretty rare. I’d find something she’s good at and do that with her.
I know I’m going to get shelled for this but that’s my opinion backed up but experience.
Now if you like doing fun easy road rides in better weather that’s a different story.

Not to jinx it but my situation couldn't be further from this. My gf (not wife) is a very good athlete to begin with, and is very used to being outside in the cold doing other mountain sports. That said, she's very light. Even pull starting the sled is a big challenge just due to her size. (hence, SHOT!)

That photo above was her third day (ever) on a sled. I live in the mountains so taking her for a few hours (all she really has in her at this point) is easy compared to trailering for hours on end. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Super fun watching her "get it".

Will she ever compliment me on a big mountain ride? Maybe. Maybe not. But she's having a blast doing something where teamwork is incredibly important.

If your wife isn't the type to like to "suffer" a bit and being outside in the cold is a bit foreign to her - I agree, this is a fool's errand.

But the sleds are so easy, and with some small setup tips it can be a blast for anyone over 100 pounds.

YMMV

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
You have the perfect attitude for this. It’s about spending time with your wife and her having fun and not about your at all. That’s awesome.

I love the comments from the guys buying their wife’s GREAT sleds. Weakest, most inexperienced rider should have the best sled. Try and keep up with your bros on a 5 yr old stock 600 anything. My buddy brings his daughter riding with us, she’s riding my old sled. XM 163x3” Trygstad 872, LW hood and Ti can, KMOD rear and Raptor front shocks. She is 5’ And maybe 95lbs. She gets around really good until we get in the trees or steeps. On those days it’s ALL about the kids and women.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Don't be a sissy and buy her a 850 turbo.

Snowmobiling to me is something I push to the extreme and love being very competitive about. Most people don't want to ride with me because of this but to each their own. My girlfriend hates snowmobiling and half of it is because most times she rides she is on a completely modded out sled that a beginner should never be forced to ride. I think it all depends what you are trying to accomplish by riding with your significant other. I would say buy her a trail sled because I am so tired of the majority of idiots who buy their wives mountain sleds and air packs to have them sit at the bottom of their avalanche run out as they show their wife how they can power side hill at a 45 degree angle because they suck and can't really sidehill. The sleds have obviously far surpassed the skill and knowledge of the majority of people that walk in the dealership trying to buy a sled. Far worse is the idiot selling them the sled that are completely clueless (even though they sit in avalanche classes the dealer puts on with the customer) and give them a rah rah speech that might possibly get them killed in the mountains together. :face-icon-small-dis

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Longer is better not shorter if mountain riding. 175 850 is what I would get her so she isn't stuck all the time. Doo steer twice as easy light throttle pull and t motion caters to gals. It will bridge mogals and ride good at that pace on the trail. Short sleds suck for woman. Too unforgiving when hesitant and not on the gas. I guess a bunch depends on how much she likes it but most gals, I know, just pull up and sit and wonder why they are cold. My wife goes riding but is always griping about no one to ride with because I go play in the trees and the gals are just sitting there.
My wife is riding a turbo 850 next year.

Premium Features