• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 Indy 500 RMK

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Oil that comes out of my exhaust on my 97 500 RMK. Im still seeing quite a bit of oil coming from what looks like underneath the motor as well. It basically looks blue so it is unburned injector oil leaking from somewhere...

This oil that comes out of my exhaust just looks like the result of unburned oil like its to rich or something in my opinion. Mostly does it when its first started it seems. My other sled does not do this. Any ideas on my oil issues haha?

I have not ridden this sled yet and had it really rapped up on the rpms either. Maybe it just needs ridden! I dont think this sled was ran much in the last few years either because it appears to only have like 1500 miles on it.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 25
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Run it for a while and see if it clears up. It may have been just that loaded up. If it doesnt clear up the rings may be shot and your getting blow by.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'd do a compression test to see what the rings tell you, wet and dry compression. Then get it out and run it some, no farther than you want to tow it back. I would wonder if you don't have a pool of oil in the bottom of the crankcase that is creating a "rich" condition with a lot of soot and smoke. I think if you could run it for 30 minutes or more you should start to get that cleared out if that is the case. Keep an eye on the oil level as you ride it though. If you do have a leak or whether you are consuming oil too fast, you may need to re-check the oil line plumbing and the oil pump. Polaris has a fail safe on their oil pumps that they go to "full on" when they go bad so you could just be feeding it too much oil as well.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Im planning on getting them out this weekend so for the first time well see if this thing runs for real ha. Im hoping that its just loaded up and will clear up like you guys are saying. Makes sense although I should do a compression test Im sure.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
It runs and it runs strong!! finally rode it yesterday. Im definitely thinking I have some clutch issues though. When riding it is kinda jerky getting started going and then when riding it makes a loud thunk thunk thunk noise. The motor seems to run really strong though. Any ideas here? My dad was thinking it is just the dogs in the clutch...

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
I replaced the belt and road it sunday again. This thing runs so strong!!! I love it. Best $200 I ever spent especially since it was for a snowmobile. The oil issue seems to be gone as well.

Can you use belts from like autozone?? I bought this belt from the polaris dealership cuz they are the only one that had one in stock this sat. and it was $70!!

I live in Boise!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Glad you got it running good. I've had decent luck with after-market belts on the lower powered sleds, keep one on hand!

There is a chance that the clutch needs cleaned and the weights and rollers checked. If you take the clutch off to blow the crap out of it, check to see if the weights are riding on the side into the spider.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
So Ive finally realized why my hood doesnt fit right on this sled. It's not the stock hood!!! I guess the stock hood was black.. This ones blue on it.

This hood kind of hangs over on one side no matter how much adjusting I do.

The new belt fixed it this thing runs strong now! Im still getting some oil coming out from under the motor onto the front motor mount. Maybe a bad ring still? I just dont know how dependable this thing is going to be up in the mountains still.

Premium Features