• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Poor-boy Wedge fix-up

Nov 28, 2007
Spruce Grove,Ab.
I bought my templates from SLP years ago, dont remember the price, but I know it was reasonable. Just finished doing my 5th drop and roll using the same templates, so they have more than payed for themselves.

westsledin

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2008
I have done a couple of the xtra-10 136 conversions. I pulled the side coolers off and found a later RMK tunnel cooler for next to nothing and put that in the tunnel in the back. Used the coolant lines from the side coolers. Because the new coolers sit above the tunnel, I found inexpensive seats that have the cut-outs for the coolers.

On one sled, I changed out the stock front cooler for a '96 RMK front cooler as well. Way better cooling, especially on the trail when there is not much kick-up and no ice scratchers.

My son and I are doing one for him right now. He is debating on whether to do a 136 or 141.

We are going to run a poor-mans 2 wheel kit (running stock rear axle with all of the spacers and the shaft cut down) for now. May get to setting it up without anything sticking out of the rails later.

The porting of the track on the 141 is a great idea for this sled. Should reduce the weight down a couple of pounds so the engine doesn't have to work even harder.

When we get done, we will have 3 Indy 500's and an Indy Trail, all semi-long tracked... 2 with single seats and 2 with doubles.

We may not run with the big dogs, but we have fun and the whole family can enjoy the sport. All aspects of it.

2 of the 500's are in my album. Our first ride this year.

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
I personally really like the 500. It runs good and the drop-n-roll makes a huge difference in the efficiency of that chassis. It works well for my wife, the small power will make her a better rider. She has to finesse the machine to make it do what it needs to. Anybody can power through a situation, it takes skill to get there gracefully. That 500 will keep up with my XLT after it went on it's diet and the few efficiency mods I have made to it. We have a lot of fun on these old machines for next to nothing. btw I love to tinker......

I am working on getting one of these 500 going. Got the xtra 10 in there and 136 by 1" and a half. What is your clutching set up? Primary weights and spring? Secondary spring? Piecing this together from a bunch of parts. Not sure whats right. But it doesn't engage until 5000rpms. Way to high. Any info would be great cause I feel like Johny Cash trying to put that caddy together. Thanks

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
clutching, track.....

Primary Clutch: 10MB weights, blue spring; Secondary Clutch 36 helix, red spring. 18-40 gears, but I would run the 42 lower gear if I could afford it.

We rode it some yesterday, it works pretty well. It needs the lower gearing though. The 144 seems pretty noisy for some reason, it got noisier as we put miles on it. sounds like a paddle is slapping something, but there is nothing very close to it. I wonder if maybe it is coming apart. It is a Polaris Camoplast. It is a pretty beat track, missing some paddles, so could it be stretching enough to slap the top of the tunnel?

Premium Features